Storytellers Cafe - No More Lunch - Buffet Only

Rich T

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/grand-californian-hotel/storytellers-cafe/

I was very disappointed to see one of my favorite restaurants, Storytellers Café, has now taken away its table service options and is buffet only. This was the most relaxing restaurant in the resort and I really enjoyed going and having a nice lunch. Sad to see it is now only character dining and "all you can eat".

Also the characters have been changed from the critters/bears to being "Mickey and Friends". How boring.
Dang... I never did have a chance to try Storytellers. Not too surprised about the switch to Mickey and crew, though I agree it's a bummer. Maybe if the company had more than 3 hotels at DLR, they'd allow more leeway for variety at the character meals.

GiveMeTheMusic

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/grand-californian-hotel/storytellers-cafe/

I was very disappointed to see one of my favorite restaurants, Storytellers Café, has now taken away its table service options and is buffet only. This was the most relaxing restaurant in the resort and I really enjoyed going and having a nice lunch. Sad to see it is now only character dining and "all you can eat".

Also the characters have been changed from the critters/bears to being "Mickey and Friends". How boring.

Yeah, now it will make money. Storytellers was indeed a nice lazy lunch spot, so it’s a bummer. Sadly, it will be a much more successful location now because guests gonna guest.

RedGinger

Am I wrong ... at Disneyland's most expensive/exclusive hotel, there is now no longer a place to get a table service lunch?

We have White Water Snacks (counter), Storytellers (buffet), and Napa Rose (open only for dinner), the lounge (appetizers). Sure you can go out to Downtown Disney, but if you're staying at the hotel paying those prices, you'd think that option would be available.

Figments Friend

Last I was aware, Mickey and the gang are already present at the two other buffet character meals at the two other Resort hotels.
Both the DLH ( Goofy's Kitchen ) and PPH ( PCH Grill ) have 'the gang'...unless that has changed recently.

Seems a bit repetitive to have the same crew at yet another hotel buffet...but Guests obviously must love it and pay up regardless.
Personally, I liked the 'alternative' characters that were present at Storytellers before.

-

wowsmom

Yup, they took away the a la carte menu about October 9th. We liked both the lunch and dinner menus and are very sad.

Having many food allergies, it was my go to spot for dinner. Hubby and sons could have the buffet and I could order something off the menu. The sous chefs there were always great and for about the last year, we headed over almost weekly for dinner. Since they went to buffet only, we've been there once. The sous chef did walk me through the buffet to tell me what should be safe and what to avoid (and she did cook me up some pork belly with no sauce), and I didn't have any reactions, but it's a bit expensive to not be able to eat half the stuff out there, plus I don't have that big of an appetite. The one good thing was finally getting to try the desserts on the buffet.

In talking to the CMs there, it seems a lot of people are unhappy about this change.

wowsmom

Am I wrong ... at Disneyland's most expensive/exclusive hotel, there is now no longer a place to get a table service lunch?

We have White Water Snacks (counter), Storytellers (buffet), and Napa Rose (open only for dinner), the lounge (appetizers). Sure you can go out to Downtown Disney, but if you're staying at the hotel paying those prices, you'd think that option would be available.

You're not wrong! I really have to wonder what "they" are thinking.

Also, last week, the bartender at Hearthstone said the White Water menu is getting changed.

wachawacha

I could not be happier. My children loved seeing the Characters in the brunch environment. We typically go off to the parks for early entry and don't make it back for breakfast. We love the fact we can visit with he character and have brunch. The food and service was outstanding.

I have also spoke to the staff. They seemed thrilled about the changes. I am sure anytime you change something you ruffle some feathers but this seems like it was a no brainer for Disney.

wowsmom

We are super disappointed at this as well. I can see why so many people are getting upset. I just don't have the need for "all you can eat" the portions are already big enough. I understand the idea is people will pay more upfront now because of the buffet option but it seems like such a shame to not allow traditional lunch and dinner as well. I couldn't imagine staying in a hotel and only being able to have buffets as my choices.

The funny thing is, we usually spent more when they had the a la carte. The only time my hubby would get the buffet was when he wanted some beef but didn't want to pay for a steak. We also often got dessert (when they had the s'mores cake, we always did), which made the bill bigger. And the timing of a full ordered dinner usually meant a second cocktail, at least for me.

I have also spoke to the staff. They seemed thrilled about the changes. I am sure anytime you change something you ruffle some feathers but this seems like it was a no brainer for Disney.

I know when they made the changes, the sous chefs I talked to were not at all happy about it and they said nobody in the kitchen was happy.

We did wonder how the wait staff would feel though. It's not as much work for them...although at least with us, it's also not as much of a tip. When we did the buffet, our waitress brought our cocktails and took away a couple of plates. We gave a 10% tip. When we were ordering a la carte, we gave a 20% tip (even if one of us ordered buffet).

Mostly, it just stinks for people with food allergies. DL is better than a lot of places out in the world, but I've been running into more "can't do it" situations in the past 6-9 months, which makes me sad, because I've gotten used to weekly date nights at Disney with my hubby!

RedGinger

I have also spoke to the staff. They seemed thrilled about the changes. I am sure anytime you change something you ruffle some feathers but this seems like it was a no brainer for Disney.[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for your input, Bob.

BubbaQuest

Hey, at least it's better than PPH where the cafe and bar are closed more than open. "Have you tried our vending machines?"

The thing I don't understand is why Disney didn't just shut the place down and replace it with a Golden Corral. Think of all the money they would have saved. Waiters with Mickey Mouse ears would have been "good enough", right?

Rich T

Last I was aware, Mickey and the gang are already present at the two other buffet character meals at the two other Resort hotels.
Both the DLH ( Goofy's Kitchen ) and PPH ( PCH Grill ) have 'the gang'...unless that has changed recently.
Seems a bit repetitive to have the same crew at yet another hotel buffet...but Guests obviously must love it and pay up regardless.
Personally, I liked the 'alternative' characters that were present at Storytellers before.

-
I was at PPH in October, and the character buffet was "gang light with variant": Donald, Daisy, Minnie, Stitch. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom