Storybook Cirus Entrance Signage?

Jakester

Original Poster
So since the rest of storybook circus is a little over a month from opening, one thing Ive noticed that hasn't even been constructed yet is the Main Signage for the main entrance to storybook circus, Do you think it got chopped, or if it will still be built? I feel like having it would add a good little detail (if done right)

Here is the concept art if your wondering what im talking about, Right between the Blue Tent and the Refurbished Dumbo Spinner
storybook-circus.jpg

jt04

So since the rest of storybook circus is a little over a month from opening, one thing Ive noticed that hasn't even been constructed yet is the Main Signage for the main entrance to storybook circus, Do you think it got chopped, or if it will still be built? I feel like having it would add a good little detail (if done right)

Here is the concept art if your wondering what im talking about, Right between the Blue Tent and the Refurbished Dumbo Spinner
storybook-circus.jpg

Not sure though they may have determined it would cause a bottleneck.

Ultimately though I hope they set the circus within a 'real' place with a backstory. BatB and LM are self-contained environments that use placesetting perfectly. The circus area seems to just be 'there' with litlle sense of place or time. There is nothing that anchors it in place.

It looks nice and is well done, especially the train station but it lacks a story it seems. A bit ironic.

RSoxNo1

Not sure though they may have determined it would cause a bottleneck.

Ultimately though I hope they set the circus within a 'real' place with a backstory. BatB and LM are self-contained environments that use placesetting perfectly. The circus area seems to just be 'there' with litlle sense of place or time. There is nothing that anchors it in place.

It looks nice and is well done, especially the train station but it lacks a story it seems. A bit ironic.

To the contrary, my favorite Imagineer Chris Beatty talked about the backstory of the area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=guXeGB0EpDw

jt04

To the contrary, my favorite Imagineer Chris Beatty talked about the backstory of the area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=guXeGB0EpDw

Yes I had seen this before. But I have to say my initial impression was that Imagineering suddenly realized this new min-land had no traditional backstory. (I wonder who put that bug in their ear :lookaroun)

So they came up with the Carolwood story and I think it is a home run in many respects. Talk about doing more with less! In a sense it is the perfect answer as all that was required was a sign or two and maybe a few decals. It is a bit of genius.

That said, I still think it falls short compared to past Imagineering accomplishments. And my sense is that there may have been theming intended for the area that the circus could exist within. Actual building facades and the "permanent" buildings of the town. The rich detail of the train station indicates to me there may have been such a plan at some point but that it may have left on the cutting room floor early on. Possibly because the "town" could be added later without difficulty and they needed the money in other areas.

If this is not the case I hope they keep it in mind for the future as the area needs a well defined visual backstory.

Just my opinion.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

storybook-circus.jpg

If they still are going to do this I would assume it would be one of the last things done since at least one if not both ends of the sign are in areas that are still under construction, one by the tents and one by the second Dumbo.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
That said, I still think it falls short compared to past Imagineering accomplishments. And my sense is that there may have been theming intended for the area that the circus could exist within. Actual building facades and the "permanent" buildings of the town. The rich detail of the train station indicates to me there may have been such a plan at some point but that it may have left on the cutting room floor early on. Possibly because the "town" could be added later without difficulty and they needed the money in other areas.

If this is not the case I hope they keep it in mind for the future as the area needs a well defined visual backstory.

Just my opinion.

But there is no need for a town. The only physical building needed to tell the story, is the train station which would obviously be a permenant building. The rest of the area is the circus which in the world of the story would be temporary. I just don't understand what other "visual backstory" you are looking for?

Vader2112

But there is no need for a town. The only physical building needed to tell the story, is the train station which would obviously be a permenant building. The rest of the area is the circus which in the world of the story would be temporary. I just don't understand what other "visual backstory" you are looking for?

It is going to be based on a 1940/50s midwest town. Check out the video I just posted :)

jt04

What makes Disney parks different is backstory and placesetting and putting guests in a controlled environment. There is no "need" for a Radiator Springs at Carsland as they could have just built RSR and some shops and restaurants and forgotten about all the placesetting of the recreated town. But it just would not be the same.

Just look at the LM or BatB areas for examples of how it could and should work. I think it will make more sense to you once you walk through these areas and then the circus. I'd like the circus to function more as a World Showcase pavilion just as LM and BatB will.

Just my opinion. I understand that they may not have had the budget.

jt04

It is going to be based on a 1940/50s midwest town. Check out the video I just posted :)

Except this will be a town that only consists of a single train station.

Like the opening of "Once Upon a Time in the West" :lol:

They need to add that squeaky sound effect to one of those wind mills. :lookaroun

danlb_2000

Premium Member
What makes Disney parks different is backstory and placesetting and putting guests in a controlled environment. There is no "need" for a Radiator Springs at Carsland as they could have just built RSR and some shops and restaurants and forgotten about all the placesetting of the recreated town. But it just would not be the same.

Just look at the LM or BatB areas for examples of how it could and should work. I think it will make more sense to you once you walk through these areas and then the circus. I'd like the circus to function more as a World Showcase pavilion just as LM and BatB will.

Just my opinion. I understand that they may not have had the budget.

My point is, the train station and the circus tell the whole story, nothing else is needed. Extending you example it's likes saying Carsland isn't complete because they didn't build the miles of highway the lead to it. I just don't see what else could be added to the circus area that would make the story any more complete.

IlikeDW

jt04

My point is, the train station and the circus tell the whole story, nothing else is needed. Extending you example it's likes saying Carsland isn't complete because they didn't build the miles of highway the lead to it. I just don't see what else could be added to the circus area that would make the story any more complete.

Oh, I understand what you are saying. I guess they could have built Space Mountain without the show building and had the CM's tell guests as they board to keep their eyes closed during the ride and think "space thoughts".:dazzle: Somehow that just would not seem the same.

In fact, Disney could drop all attempts at immersing guests in a story and just call their parks "Six Flags". :lol::wave:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Oh, I understand what you are saying. I guess they could have built Space Mountain without the show building and had the CM's tell guests as they board to keep their eyes closed during the ride and think "space thoughts".:dazzle: Somehow that just would not seem the same.

In fact, Disney could drop all attempts at immersing guests in a story and just call their parks "Six Flags". :lol::wave:

I think you are missing the point. Dan is saying that the circus doesn't need the rest of the town to be built in order to be complete. You are saying that it does. Following your chain of thought then:
  • Main Street is incomplete because the rest of the town was not built
  • The Haunted Mansion is incomplete because they didn't build the surrounding un-haunted houses.
  • Space Mountain is also incomplete because they didn't include enough space for the rest of the universe.
  • The Tower of Terror is incomplete because Mount Hollywood was not built.

They are just not needed to tell the story.

jumblue

I don't know about building more non-circusy permanent structures over there to flesh out a town... we'd end up with "Main Street Lite" at the back end of the park, and that would just be awkward.

I think this location works because circuses didn't set up right in the middle of town, just an undeveloped area near the train tracks. You couldn't set up right next to the general store because there'd be no room in the center of town. Plus, who'd want carnies hanging out in their backyard?

As it is, the area seems more outskirts/fairground which is where the circus would have been back in the day.

WDWFREAK53

I think you are missing the point. Dan is saying that the circus doesn't need the rest of the town to be built in order to be complete. You are saying that it does. Following your chain of thought then:
  • Main Street is incomplete because the rest of the town was not built
  • The Haunted Mansion is incomplete because they didn't build the surrounding un-haunted houses.
  • Space Mountain is also incomplete because they didn't include enough space for the rest of the universe.
  • The Tower of Terror is incomplete because Mount Hollywood was not built.

They are just not needed to tell the story.

Actually, I see what jt04 is talking about and you're being a little extreme (especially with the Space Mountain example).

To use your examples...
It would be if Main Street was just a street with train station, hub, and a store on either side.
The Haunted Mansion wasn't tucked back "up on the hill" in Liberty Square but smack dab in the middle.
Space Mountain was just that...without Tomorrowland surrounding it.
Tower of Terror without any backstory of Hollywood.

Storybook Circus is just a circus at a train station...not set in a town. And, since there is a roundtable and garage...it's actually at a train storage yard.

Even if they put up some facades like at DHS to create the illusion of a town in the distance, it would be better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom