Storybook Circus Land

jumblue

On the race track realignment, don't forget there were permits also filed for a "barricade." Perhaps that throws just enough of a monkey wrench into the area to need the adjustment?

Neverland

I do not understand where people keep getting this idea that people have not seen Dumbo. It is constantly available for home purchase. Not because old inventory sits on shelves, but because Disney keeps releasing it over and over again. So either people watch this film or, for some inexplicable reason, keep buying a film that they do not watch.

It's true, though. Lots of people aren't familiar with Dumbo. I can't tell you how many times I've overheard guests -adults and children alike- say "Oh look, the flying elephant ride!" or "Mommy! Let's go ride the elephants next!" or "How do I get to that ride.. The one that's like Aladdin but with elephants?" 'The elephant ride' is starting to become more commonly heard than 'Dumbo'.

tsd15

One thing I've noticed from the imagineers is that they like to recycle old ideas. Here is an article I found from The Neverland Files detailing Dumbo's Circusland, a concept originally planned for Disneyland. It would have been a home for some of Disney's "whackier" characters that didn't fit the Fantasyland mold, but it also holds similarities to what looks to be coming to the Magic Kingdom. Of particular note is the Pinocchio dark ride which was originally part of this land that would eventually make its way to Disneyland's Fantasyland. Could a Pinocchio dark ride be what we're getting in the northern section of Storybook Circus Land?

http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf/disneyland/dumboscircusland.php

CaptJapan

Wishfully thinking, but it would be nice if Magic Kingdom's Storybook Circusland, was similar to the Storybook Land Canal Boats at Disneyland.
A nice relaxing boat ride around miniatures of various Disney locals would be a great ride for families in that section.

Any ride is better then more shops and meet and greets, in my book.

JustInTime

I do not understand where people keep getting this idea that people have not seen Dumbo. It is constantly available for home purchase. Not because old inventory sits on shelves, but because Disney keeps releasing it over and over again. So either people watch this film or, for some inexplicable reason, keep buying a film that they do not watch.

US Home Release according to Wikipedia:
June 26, 1981 (VHS and Betamax)
June 1982 (Laserdisc)
December 3, 1985 (VHS and Betamax - Walt Disney Classics)
July 12, 1991 (VHS and Laserdisc - 50th Anniversary Edition)
October 28, 1994 (VHS and Laserdisc - Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection)
October 23, 2001 (VHS and DVD - 60th Anniversary Edition)
October 17, 2006 (DVD - Big Top Edition)
March 2007 (DVD - Special Edition)
February 2011 (Blu-ray Disc & DVD - 70th Anniversary Special Edition - Region 1/A)

Or because people are not buying it so they keep putting "new" editions to generate interest. Marketing gimmick.

Disney Rocks

The current Toontown nas three tents. One for County Bounty, one for Hall of Fame, and one for the Judge's tent. The concept shows only Two of those tents remaining. Which one gets the axe?

Ignohippo

The current Toontown nas three tents. One for County Bounty, one for Hall of Fame, and one for the Judge's tent. The concept shows only Two of those tents remaining. Which one gets the axe?

It appears that the Judge's Tent goes bye-bye and is replaced by the rectangular tent in approximately the same location.

bigAWL

Yeah, that's obvious. But you can get an impression of what activities are taking place. The tent in the overview and the tent on the close up concept is the same tent at the entrance into CircusLand (but yeah, the concept art looks like it was done in about 15 minutes and is very, very loose).

On both pieces of art, you can see some sort of ticket booth at the front of the tent. There's no reason to have that same booth on both pieces of art unless the artist was specifically told to put it there. That's quite a coincidence. Considering he's standing in from of the man in the booth and waving two fingers, I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out they're showing the kid asking the man for two of something.

It may be tickets, it may be ice cream. Who knows? Looks like a ticket booth to me.

Despite the artwork showing a child asking for two of something, I can easily imagine the booth being for a circus barker or some other similar cast member who is welcoming guests into the Circus land, and not selling or distributing anything.

What I don't get about the layout as we know it (or think we know it), is that having retail in the recycled tent areas seems to me to make little sense. They normally want to place shops in your way while you're going to see something else. With the layout depicted in the artwork, unless there's something else compelling guests to visit that north end, I see little reason to visit the shops.

acr123

Original Poster
^ EXACTLY! The more I think about it the more I am convinced there are unannounced attractions to be located in the repurposed tents. There is no way Disney can think they can get away with pulling off this new Circus themed area with two recycled attractions. Also the STORYBOOK addition to name of the area certainly is an indication that there is likely more news to come...

I wish Raven or Lee would join our conversation. Any comment would be appreciated. :wave:

Krack

I'm really surprised, given the disdain for DinoLand, that the message boards aren't going nuts with people complaining about this. As band as DinoLand is, this could be a million times worse.

I pick my battles. Nowadays, I have a sigh of relief when I find out they aren't destroying something I like; I don't really like Toontown, so I can live with Circusland. It is my experience that most people do not care for the circus or clowns. And I think the Great Goofini is about as uninspired as it gets. But, as I said, I'm just relieved they aren't ruining something I love.

Krack

^ EXACTLY! The more I think about it the more I am convinced there are unannounced attractions to be located in the repurposed tents. There is no way Disney can think they can get away with pulling off this new Circus themed area with two recycled attractions. Also the STORYBOOK addition to name of the area certainly is an indication that there is likely more news to come...

I wish Raven or Lee would join our conversation. Any comment would be appreciated. :wave:

You should have seen DCA, they tried to pull off a whole park with 6 rides - they had an entire land that's only attraction was a walk through of "How to Make a Tortilla". This is not your grandfather's Disney management team.

Dads 2 Boys

US Home Release according to Wikipedia:
June 26, 1981 (VHS and Betamax)
June 1982 (Laserdisc)
December 3, 1985 (VHS and Betamax - Walt Disney Classics)
July 12, 1991 (VHS and Laserdisc - 50th Anniversary Edition)
October 28, 1994 (VHS and Laserdisc - Walt Disney Masterpiece Collection)
October 23, 2001 (VHS and DVD - 60th Anniversary Edition)
October 17, 2006 (DVD - Big Top Edition)
March 2007 (DVD - Special Edition)
February 2011 (Blu-ray Disc & DVD - 70th Anniversary Special Edition - Region 1/A)

I'm 40 and have never seen it. So? Just because it's released frequently doesn't mean it gets purchased by different people.

jt04

You should have seen DCA, they tried to pull off a whole park with 6 rides - they had an entire land that's only attraction was a walk through of "How to Make a Tortilla". This is not your grandfather's Disney management team.

Circusland is being designed in response to Legoland and will have similar offerings. In other words it will be themed amusement rides and participatory activities adults can experience with their children as Lego parks provide. See also the new queue that was just installed.

What FL really needs is a new E-Ticket experience that is also family friendly. It is the only 'land' that does not have an E-Ticket by most standards. If they had built PH or AiW Land they could have also done an upgraded PPF ride or Wonderland dark ride. But instead we are getting a fancy mini-amusement park with some kids ride. It is Dinoland all over again. Evidently they didn't learn from that fiasco.

I really believe cutting corners does long term damage to the Disney brand. No wonder people are flocking to TWWoHP.

acr123

Original Poster

True. lol But this team did go back to rethink and redevelop some areas of the already announced expansion. That alone is unreal and we cant forget that. I have to believe the distaster CA Adventure was is still fresh in their minds and this team is putting their all into this project and are determined to do it right.

Atomicmickey

Circusland is being designed in response to Legoland and will have similar offerings. In other words it will be themed amusement rides and participatory activities adults can experience with their children as Lego parks provide. See also the new queue that was just installed.

I do think that this is true, and seems to be the focus of Circusland.

Going to WDW with my then 7 year old, in the middle of all the magic and wonder, what he really wanted, at least once a day was a simple play area. Something he could climb on, jump on, swing on, run through, that sort of thing, rather than sitting in a ride vehicle.

I'm not a huge fan of the Circus theme--but if it's full of that sort of activity, I think it is needed and will be a hit.

And while the kids play, of course there will be shops!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Im a little surprised that following the release of the new concept art there hasnt been much discussion about the newly expanded Storybook Circus Land. It looks as though its size has been doubled yet as far as I know we only have two confirmed attractions in that land, both recycled and located at the same end of the property. So what is being developed for the other end of the land? What is that pictured in front of the train station? What is going in those big repurposed circus tents? Wouldnt a lush and colorful "Wonderland" have been a better direction to go than a barren, underdeveloped looking Circus themed land?? lol (just kidding....well KINDA) ;)

Speculation on whats to come in this new land starts here! :king:

The 7 dwarfs mine cart ride is being made. Of course, isn't it replacing Snow White's Scary Adventures with a princess meet and greet?? Pathetic disney, lay off the meet and greets for your own good. :hurl:

jt04

I do think that this is true, and seems to be the focus of Circusland.

Going to WDW with my then 7 year old, in the middle of all the magic and wonder, what he really wanted, at least once a day was a simple play area. Something he could climb on, jump on, swing on, run through, that sort of thing, rather than sitting in a ride vehicle.

I'm not a huge fan of the Circus theme--but if it's full of that sort of activity, I think it is needed and will be a hit.

And while the kids play, of course there will be shops!

I agree these type areas are a good thing for guests I just don't think it is necessary to create entire lands in this manner. Play areas can be added in more areas but they can be less intrusive. There is also no reason why PH could not have been kept and play areas included along with a new E ticket.

That is really my complaint. The FLE is great but it needs a major E ticket. And Disney needs to stay away from the Dinoland business model. It just isn't what guests expect from the mouse. IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom