Stormalong Bay and Shipwreck Pool at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resort closing for maintenance in January 2025

ToTBellHop

Not sure how you can possibly make this statement without ever seeing any idea of how it would be done.

I know for a fact that it cuts down on the usage of the slide because of the PITA it is, and that leads to the pool being slightly more crowded than it should be.
You know that for a fact? lol

The line is routinely all the way down the stairs and far longer than any other WDW slide.

Kamikaze

You know that for a fact? lol

The line is routinely all the way down the stairs and far longer than any other WDW slide.
Yes. They did a survey & study on why the slide isn't utilized as much as the slides at other resorts. The answer was what I said.

Just because something has a line doesn't mean it isn't underutilized comparatively.

NelsonRD

I just didn’t think it was a huge deal. A bridge would look hideous. I’d rather walk 100 feet and enjoy views of the rock work and shipwreck.
You would walk the 100 feet. You might not think its a big deal. Having my 13 year daughter cross a path of people on International Gateway in a bathing suit, is uncomfortable for her.

NelsonRD

Stormalong was gated before the other pools. Its been longer than 10 years.
Edit: It was enclosed by a fence in 1997.

You have to leave the pool area and then go through the gate for the slide. If they build an elevated walkway next to the slide you could use the slide without exiting the pool area, crossing the walkway, entering the slide area, and then going up the stairs to the slide. It was built before the pool was fenced in and therefore not as big of a deal. I think that other poster just used the wrong word 'uncomfortable'. It's just a PITA. Building an entrance from within the complex would also allow them to cut/relocate at least 1 CM who checks wristbands at the slide gate.
I am sorry, I meant uncomfortable. My 13 year old daughters' words, not mine, when describing having to exit the pool area, walk across a path of people dripping wet in a bathing suit, re-enter, to get on a waterslide.

Richie248

Unpopular opinion but I find Stormalong bay a turnoff when selecting a resort. It can be crowded and chaotic and being so close to a main pedestrian path makes things feel less relaxing for me. One of the least desirable pools at a Disney deluxe resort.

Disone

Would you feel better if I called it a walkway? Would that make you less triggered?
But he's not wrong. What you are talking about is the crescent lake promenade that circles crescent lake 360°.

The international gateway is specifically the world showcase entrance to Epcot.

The two things are no more the same than the magic kingdom and Walt Disney World.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
There will still need to be a CM at the gate as long as Hurricane Hannah's exists where it is.

That said I'm not opposed to some alternative like a walkway from the pavillion above Hurricane Hannah's across to the shipwreck, but need to consider that any bridge would need to not drip water down on people walking under it. im also unsure if that pavillion is for anything else, like any weddings?

Even before Disney added fences, the pool quickly had its multiple entrances blocked off to funnel Guests through two entrances to check room keys/bracelet distribution.

I’m its original form, that pool was terrific!

I am worried that this refurbishment will fill in the deep section of the pool, which would stink! Disney has systematically filled in their deep ends unfortunately.
Yeah, my memories from when I was like 12 or 13 are of it kind of all fitting organically into the space between the hotel and the walkway. Like you could see across in points and meander across. It’s all kind of an impression now though - too many decades ago!

surfsupdon

Yeah, my memories from when I was like 12 or 13 are of it kind of all fitting organically into the space between the hotel and the walkway. Like you could see across in points and meander across. It’s all kind of an impression now though - too many decades ago!
Exactly right. Specifically at this pool complex, the fencing looks completely out of place and not organic with the area.

DisneyFanatic12

There will still need to be a CM at the gate as long as Hurricane Hannah's exists where it is.

That said I'm not opposed to some alternative like a walkway from the pavillion above Hurricane Hannah's across to the shipwreck, but need to consider that any bridge would need to not drip water down on people walking under it. im also unsure if that pavillion is for anything else, like any weddings?
Last time I stayed at the Beach Club, a wedding reception was happening on the beach. It was a huge one so it was on both sides of the shipwreck pool. And so, we had to walk through the crowd of people in their wedding attire… definitely felt like I was crashing their party 🤣

Gannicus0401

Do they typically release reopening dates for pools once it gets closer? I’ve never paid attention to any other resort pool closures being we only stay at beach club.

Up until this announcement I was planning a trip in May 2025, and I still would if the pool reopened in May. Im wondering if they mean it’s expected to reopen 5/1, any time in may or be closed the entire month and reopen 6/1. Guess we’ll see!

I’m DVC so I would be booking at the 11 month mark, I suppose I could always push the trip back if it got too close without an announcement.

Eric Graham

I was just thinking about Stormalong Bay and how beautiful and wonderful it was after I was traversing back and forth at the Y at the pool today. I didn't realize how long the pool at the Y was until I started swimming again recently....

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
The refurbishment at Stormalong Bay and Shipwreck Pool has been extended through June 2025.

Here is the updated notice:

From January 2025 through June 2025, Stormalong Bay and Shipwreck Pool at Disney’s Yacht and Beach Club Resorts will be closed for routine maintenance. Guests may see or hear construction work during daytime hours. During this time, Guests are welcome to swim at the Tidal, Admiral and Dunes Cove leisure pools.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I can’t shake the idea they’re just gonna secretly fill it with concrete, raise the rooms rates, put a table with cupcakes out there and hope no one notices…
I could not be more proud of you.
Revenge Of The Sith Evil Laugh GIF by Star Wars

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom