Storm updates not up to date?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
The last few times the news bot has posted graphics for Nate, I’ve seen the same cone from a few days ago, showing the storm track possibly hitting northern Florida. But if I click on the graphic in the post it takes me to the NOAA site and shows the track much further west, hitting LA.

I’m viewing from the app on my iPhone.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The last few times the news bot has posted graphics for Nate, I’ve seen the same cone from a few days ago, showing the storm track possibly hitting northern Florida. But if I click on the graphic in the post it takes me to the NOAA site and shows the track much further west, hitting LA.

I’m viewing from the app on my iPhone.
We have recently moved the site to SSL encryption of traffic between the user and our servers. To do this, we have had to ensure that absolutely everything served from the site is also encrypted, including things like ads and third party embedded images. Since we have no control over how the the third party images are served, we have to take a copy of the image, and then serve it directly from our own servers via SSL. To reduce the load on our servers, we store those images for a period of five days in a cache. This means that for five days, you will see the cached version of the image, even if the original source file at the third party has been modified. This appears to the issue you are seeing, with the NHC essentially using the same image, but updating it.

I will look at some other options to see how we can improve on this.

The Mom

Premium Member
We have recently moved the site to SSL encryption of traffic between the user and our servers. To do this, we have had to ensure that absolutely everything served from the site is also encrypted, including things like ads and third party embedded images. Since we have no control over how the the third party images are served, we have to take a copy of the image, and then serve it directly from our own servers via SSL. To reduce the load on our servers, we store those images for a period of five days in a cache. This means that for five days, you will see the cached version of the image, even if the original source file at the third party has been modified. This appears to the issue you are seeing, with the NHC essentially using the same image, but updating it.

I will look at some other options to see how we can improve on this.

People complained about the site not being encrypted, and now they're complaining about the unintended consequences of encrypting it? ;)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Cant please everyone all the time. Its absolutely silly to be looking for encrypted sessions to a fan site. There's no financial information involved in 99.9% of the site, no state secrets, nor incriminating evidence of crimes or misconduct. Paranoia will destroy ya.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Cant please everyone all the time. Its absolutely silly to be looking for encrypted sessions to a fan site. There's no financial information involved in 99.9% of the site, no state secrets, nor incriminating evidence of crimes or misconduct. Paranoia will destroy ya.
The industry, primarily Google, is forcing all sites to go to encryption, regardless of the content.

In the next version of the Chrome browser, any site that accepts user input without SSL will be flagged as insecure with a warning box on the address bar.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Thats funny as TLS 1.0 is being deprecated so its going to be yet another endless upgrade loop being started.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
People complained about the site not being encrypted, and now they're complaining about the unintended consequences of encrypting it? ;)
Not me. I just noted that there was anomaly. Complaining would imply I cared... :cautious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom