Stoller advice...

woodardfamily

Original Poster
My DW and I are shopping for strollers. We are thinking a double stroller would be best for our 5 and 2 yr old. Any suggestions on what we should buy? What experiences have you had with them? Thanks!

SAV

Just beware the doubles that sit side by side are very wide and will be more difficult to maneuver. Good luck with your search.

erstwo

Is buying a stroller a must? Because if not, I'd advise you to go the rental route all the way! We always rent from Orlando Stroller Rentals (we get the big orange double stroller) and it is great! Something like $80 for the week and we don't have to lug it down to Disney & back again. (Although with a 2 year old, you might need one in the airport?)
Here are my (then) 6 year old and 3 year old in the rental last November:
4131948732_5f1f05667f_b.jpg

And here it is folded up on the bus:
4131187429_7099d8b27e_b.jpg

It fit nicely between the seats.

If you have your heart set on buying a stroller, I would actually advise buying a side by side (double jogging style) stroller. I know they are much wider, but there are very few places - think some counter service restaurants, and the crowds right after the fireworks- where that will be an issue. But they are typically very easy to maneuver.

The problem we found with the "long" double stroller style (one in front, one in back) is that usually the older child (your 5 year old) will sit in the front, and the younger child (your 2 year old) will sit in back. Well, when all the weight is in the front of that looooong stroller, it is almost impossible to steer (plus it is no easier to get through the "after fireworks" crowds.)

ETA - Have a great trip!!

loveofamouse

I AM THE STROLLER QUEEN LMAO

I've owned about 19 strollers.

Do NOT get a Tandem stroller. that's the front to back kind. those are only good if you have an infant requiring the use of the carrier lock-in. Get a SIDE BY SIDE. They are MUCH easier to steer and the kids are happier. As for doorways, check the measurements. The standard door is 36in, I believe. So thinner ones are easier to get through doors. Now, Standard doors in PUBLIC places are wider for wheelchair requirements. So you shouldn't have a door problem.

I have kids that are 6, 5, and 2. I HIGHLY recommend the Peg Perego Aria Twin. It has individual reclining backs, big basket and allows peg bags to clip to handle.(I recommend getting the peg bags too!). The newer models have a 60/40 split. If you go on craigslist, you can get the 50/50 split that stopped in 2008, I believe. It folds flat to about 7in(ish) and is lightweight easily being picked up with 1 hand while holding a 2yr old on your hip

http://www.albeebaby.com/peg-perego-2009-aria-twin-60-40-in-corallo.html

If your 5yr old is a walker and loves to walk, you can get a sit'n'stand. Personally, i don't care for the popular ones from Kolcraft. They are cheap, wobbly and not well made. Plus, when the kid isn't standing, they look like they;re missing something lol. And they fold kinda thick.
The Peg perego Pliko 3(or Switch model) have foot plates for standing. Folds to the size of old fashion umbrella strollers with full size stroller comfort. Hood goes to tray for full coverage. bags can clip on.
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932667&moduleName=Brand+Name+Secondary
(not sure if BRU shows footplates but I can take photo, if needed)

Currently, my 5yr old uses a Kimba Spring stroller style Wheelchair.
My 2yr old has a Pliko 3. My 6yr old stand and rides on the back. Great handling when kid is standing, BTW. Turns and pushes with 1 hand.

Kristamouse

I have four kids; first two are 13months apart, three year break then two more 20 months apart. We HATED our side by side and so did our kids. Didn't have the cup and trays they like for snacks and water cups. We also hated our Graco Duo Glide tandum style. Like the OP said it was a pain to turn and steer and longer than a limo. But then we found the Graco Quattro Tour Duo double and LOVE LOVE IT! It is much smaller than tandum style used to be, turns on a dime folds to the size of a single, rolls behind you when folded like luggdage (great for ariport, busses, etc) has snack trays, large basket that lowers underneath and is very comfy for the kids. My now 5 and 6 year olds are always jumping in and have been known to take at nap in it...:) The side by side also get tight for bigger kids, mine did fit OK but if yours are on the bigger size (I don't mean fat either) they might be sung in there.
Check it out

BalooChicago

Is buying a stroller a must? Because if not, I'd advise you to go the rental route all the way! We always rent from Orlando Stroller Rentals (we get the big orange double stroller) and it is great!

We used OSR on our last trip and it was great! While we only needed a single, my brother used a double for his two kids (The same orange-side by side type) and was equally pleased with them.

One of the best decisions I ever made for a trip.

BrennaRN

Help!!!!

Okay, this October we will be going with our 15 month old. We are staying at OKW. I really don't feel like hauling a stroller through the airport and then checking it etc. etc. The second thing is if I don't take my own stroller I won't be able to manuver easily around OKW. After looking at this forum, I've about decided on OSR, your thoughts? First time with the little one!

woodardfamily

Original Poster
I saw lots of families with OSR strollers. They looked very good, not worn out or abused. Great cover from the sun. Hindsight 20/20, my DW and I wonder if we shouldn't have done the same. Although, we did get our double stroller (Fisher Price) from a children's consignment store for $49.

erstwo

Okay, this October we will be going with our 15 month old. We are staying at OKW. I really don't feel like hauling a stroller through the airport and then checking it etc. etc. The second thing is if I don't take my own stroller I won't be able to manuver easily around OKW. After looking at this forum, I've about decided on OSR, your thoughts? First time with the little one!

We got the double stroller and stayed a Pop (smaller rooms, similar sized hallways & elevators) and had no problems moving around the resort. They are very easy to steer. :)

I think you will be happy with the single stroller and how compactly it folds up.

HouCuseChickie

I would advise against any side by side stroller. I know others love them, but I've seen too many people in too many situations with them regretting every cent they spent on it. I've seen moms in tears in airports with their side by sides b/c they are so much harder (or impossible) to work with in narrow areas- especially at curbside check in, boarding and security. We've also been to numerous zoos and Sea World - and many of the ramps we've seen will not fit a side by side stroller.

As for the person who said front to back tandems can only be used for infants in locking car seats is incorrect- at least with regard to all of the traditional front to back tandems we tested (Graco, Cosco, Peg Perego, etc.). While we don't use a traditional tandem- I have friends who do (one who loves her tomato red Cosco with the flipping seats and another who adores her Graco Quattro Tour Duo- I came close to getting this one myself) and they worked just fine for their respective 4 yr olds and 2 yr olds.

I have friends who swear by their BOB strollers and their Phil & Ted tandem strollers- but that's some serious $$$. :eek:

We cheaped out and went with a sit and stand model from Baby Trend. It's worked very well for us (our girls are currently 3 and 1.5- will be ages 2 and 4 when we go to Disney)- I've had it since my younger one was a newborn. Now that both kids are a little bit older- both enjoy both parts of the stroller. The older one can sit or stand in the back - or ride up front if she wants some "baby" time. The younger one can ride up front or can be buckled into the seat on the back that goes with the standing section...almost tall enough to stand in that part. We like it b/c each of them has their times when they want that freedom the sit and stand part in the back affords them.

We bought ours b/c we use it often enough to justify the purchase. Our friends who have the very pricey brands use theirs every day- so that was justified as well. If you just need a tandem for this trip- I'd seriously consider renting (and not directly from Disney).

yekcoh_99

Is buying a stroller a must? Because if not, I'd advise you to go the rental route all the way! We always rent from Orlando Stroller Rentals (we get the big orange double stroller) and it is great! Something like $80 for the week and we don't have to lug it down to Disney & back again. (Although with a 2 year old, you might need one in the airport?)
Here are my (then) 6 year old and 3 year old in the rental last November:
4131948732_5f1f05667f_b.jpg

And here it is folded up on the bus:
4131187429_7099d8b27e_b.jpg

It fit nicely between the seats.

If you have your heart set on buying a stroller, I would actually advise buying a side by side (double jogging style) stroller. I know they are much wider, but there are very few places - think some counter service restaurants, and the crowds right after the fireworks- where that will be an issue. But they are typically very easy to maneuver.

The problem we found with the "long" double stroller style (one in front, one in back) is that usually the older child (your 5 year old) will sit in the front, and the younger child (your 2 year old) will sit in back. Well, when all the weight is in the front of that looooong stroller, it is almost impossible to steer (plus it is no easier to get through the "after fireworks" crowds.)

ETA - Have a great trip!!

I could not agree more!!!!!!!!!

My kiddies are older now but I always have brought my side by side joging stroller. My kiddies and I were both used to it and we loved it. The airlines happily took it from you right at the end of the jetway and as soon as I got off the plane it was waiting for my right at the exit..set-up and ready to roll. I did however encounter one problem the last time I brought my side by side....About 3 years ago my DH and I were entering MK mid day (on day 1 of our trip) with the stroller and the CM at the security told us that this joggin stroller was not allowed in the parks (it was the expedition/baby trend). When DH asked what we should do CM told us that they would hold it for us for the day and we should rent. When we got to stroller rental they did just that and gave us a complimentary rental for the day. They explained that the large front tire is what made our specific stroller dangerous (we had brought this model in the past). When we returned to our hotel that evening...my DH went straight to guest services and explained that we had not factored in the cost of stroller rental and that it had never stated anywhere that specific strollers were not allowed. Guest Services was sooooo wonderful and gave us free rental for length of stay and offered to hold our stoller for length of stay so it would not take up space in the room. SO just check to be sure that the stroller you pick is okay to bring in.( i have seen many jogging strollers since then and they are so comfortable...dry quickly if they get rained on and are super for nap...they also have a long lifetime and accomodate bigger kiddies!!) Enjoy

UberPlannerMom

Has anyone else ever noticed that some jogging strollers front wheel doesn't swivel? We have one, and it is great to jog with (big surprise) but we wonder if that would be a real issue in the park...

SaskDisneyGirl

I have an 18 month old and a 4 year old and we plan to use Magic Strollers for our next trip. I debated between Magic Strollers and Orlando Strollers and ended up choosing Magic because you get the Parent Console and the Rain Cover for free. I think the price was very similar. We are paying $113 for 10 days.

asdisneywatcher

We used Magic Stroller Rentals for our July trip. We originally booked a double but went with a single instead. Stroller was about the same as the orange one from OSR but it was red. It was delivered to bell services as well as picked up from bell services. In the airports I had an umbrella stroller that when we got to the resort went into the closet. MSR was cheaper then OSR btw. We will deffinately be using them again when we go in 2012.

Disneykidder

This is geat info since we are in need of a double soon. I like the side by side and my hubby the front to back. I saw at the mall a stroller that had a front to back but the kids faced each other and it looked like a joggine but I could be wrong there. It just looked so functional but huge. Anyone know what this could be?

woodardfamily

Original Poster
After using both since I made the original post, I would have to stick with a side by side rather than a front/back. The main reason being that both kids can recline with the side by side. Don't forget the clip on fans! They are well worth the $!

ErickainPA

We just got the side-by-side Jeep stroller, it will fit in the doorways. We have a Combi side-by-side that fits in standard doorways as well.

NYwdwfan

We always go with 2 single strollers. My kids like to hit each other. :mad: It's also a lot less weight for one person to push (until the baskets get loaded up with toys!! :lol:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom