Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

IveBeenJack

Hey, @przidentkendall, how did you find out about the theater info if it was off-camera? Was there a tweet or post somewhere from BFP?

I spoke with John at Big Fat Panda directly over Skype for an hour, and Dan Cockerell did say it off-camera, John managed to get it confirmed on camera that a New Nighttime Parade is coming for the 50th (15min mark in the interview), which we've known on this forum for a while.

I know John very well, and have absolutely no cause to doubt him, so I would say it's a pretty legit indication, but then again Jason is now in charge, and things might change, but SGE being the focus was the case as of April 2018.

IveBeenJack

I follow BFP and am friends with him on FB and have seen nothing of the sorts.

I understand where you're coming from, but the interview was a great insight to management thinking at MK. And John did clarify to me personally, that it was said off-camera. BFP will be taking a hard hat tour of TSL today, and he had some pretty interesting info about TSL confirmed by Imagineers.

ppete1975

Hello, so in this video Jack talks about an interview the ex president of MK had where he said that money from the theater is going to a stich replacement, anyone got any insight about this?
Edit: The money would not only go to a stich replacement, but that would be where a portion of it would go.

We know Disney isn't great with money, but how does that humongous theater, have the same budget as that very small space that I'm expecting would have been a cheaper ride. Doesn't smell right.

IveBeenJack

We know Disney isn't great with money, but how does that humongous theater, have the same budget as that very small space that I'm expecting would have been a cheaper ride. Doesn't smell right.

Dan Cockerell said privately to John(BFP), that the retrofitting of the SGE space is more expensive than it looks, especially for something entirely new, instead of just a slight retheming. Also the theatre's budget might have been quite sizeable, as Dan said that it had plenty of extra flourishes and design details that would be very welcomed with Magic Kingdom, and he would have liked to see happen.

ppete1975

Dan Cockerell said privately to John(BFP), that the retrofitting of the SGE space is more expensive than it looks, especially for something entirely new, instead of just a slight retheming. Also the theatre's budget might have been quite sizeable, as Dan said that it had plenty of extra flourishes and design details that would be very welcomed with Magic Kingdom, and he would have liked to see happen.
I think that's a mistake (not by you, but by Disney). The theater would be a huge people eater and would have added a lot to the park, that small footprint of sge just isn't worth the trade off. I was ok when I assumed the money was being moved to monorails or something, but the budget from sge shouldn't have come from the loss of the theatre.
Btw thanks for the info

Kman101

I think that's a mistake (not by you, but by Disney). The theater would be a huge people eater and would have added a lot to the park, that small footprint of sge just isn't worth the trade off. I was ok when I assumed the money was being moved to monorails or something, but the budget from sge shouldn't have come from the loss of the theatre.
Btw thanks for the info

Yeah. I'd really like to know what the funding is going towards. I imagine we may never know for sure. But it was, imo, a mistake to cancel the theater project. I guess it depends what we get instead but why wasn't Stitch's replacement budgeted years ago? Why do they have to take from one for the other? I mean, this thread was started two years ago ... we could have long ago had a Stitch replacement.

Bocabear

So you would rather have the Stitch version?
LOL! AE was a Huuuuge hit when it opened... Lines extended all the way through the outdoor queue... It was a really fun scare, and as with everything, there are some things that are just not appropriate for everyone...
The stitchification was just cheap and sadly very lame... watered down what was a very well done attraction.

Jones14

Really, Magic Kingdom needs both in the long run, but I think revitalization of the Stitch space is the better choice than the theatre if they’re only gonna do one.

Better to maximize existing space than to develop new space and leave existing areas to rot. Plus, a 2000 seat theatre at five shows a day is still only 10,000 people, and pretty much any continuous attraction could easily surpass that number.

Castle Cake Apologist

Dan Cockerell said privately to John(BFP), that the retrofitting of the SGE space is more expensive than it looks, especially for something entirely new, instead of just a slight retheming.

Stitch was the first attraction I worked on when I started with MK Ops back in 2007, and this makes a lot of sense to me. The Moon/Mars/AE/Stitch part of the building was clearly designed for a very specific type of show, and I could see how putting something different in there could present a real challenge, especially if they're wanting to go with an actual ride. There's a reason that every attraction that has occupied the space over nearly 50 years has been the same kind of thing, a show-in-the-round.

Also, I really love your videos and just thought you should know lol.

Princess Leia

If the space is kept as is, I'd really hope that the restraints are taking off, unless they decided to make the chairs move. If that's the case, a simple lap bar or band would do. While I never experienced either attraction, one of the downsides that I've read about is the body restraints. They were only added to keep people from running out of AE, they're not needed anymore.

Timothy_Q

If the space is kept as is, I'd really hope that the restraints are taking off, unless they decided to make the chairs move. If that's the case, a simple lap bar or band would do. While I never experienced either attraction, one of the downsides that I've read about is the body restraints. They were only added to keep people from running out of AE, they're not needed anymore.
There was more to the shoulder restraints than "keeping people from running away"

Castle Cake Apologist

There was more to the shoulder restraints than "keeping people from running away"
Sounds and effects were in them too, right? I'm sure there are other possibilities that can be used.
Without spoiling the attraction, the restraints are an integral part of the experience/effects.

Yeah, the restraints are basically the entire key to the gimmick of the show. The 3D sound and most of the physical effects come from the restraints.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom