Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

imarc

How very TDO to let a failure stay (Stitch) while actually considering replacing a success (Tower of Terror). Thanks be to the gods THAT plot got shot down (in WDW anyway)...

You act as if they haven't considered any options for that the Stitch space and that they aren't always considering new ideas for every area.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
You act as if they haven't considered any options for that the Stitch space and that they aren't always considering new ideas for every area.

We know they do, and are. And yet, the building sits, unused, and unlikely to be used for the foreseeable future. I think a few possible options have been mentioned in this thread, but none have been greenlit.

I kinda like a story around Groot breaking out of The Collector's tube. It certainly could be a more humorous and entertaining attraction than SGE, particularly if Rocket made an appearance. Anecdotal evidence, I know, but my daughter is a Stitch fanatic and never wanted to do SGE. I could see all of our kids wanting to do Groot's Great Escape. (NOTE: That does NOT mean they are all excited for the GotG coaster. Yes, we'll ride it, but there's no great desire for us, and the 3 boys and I are all big Marvel fans.)

es135

I feel like I remember reading that Williams limited what Disney could do with is likeness after his death. Unless Zelda or whoever has the rights to his likeness agrees, I think they'd have to find a new Timekeeper.

It'll also be a little sad when they redo Imagination since that means his image will probably come out of there too.
I read a fantastic biography on Williams by Dave Itzkoff and remember reading something similar. I believe his voice or likeness can't be used until 50 years after his death. That being said, I'm not sure if that applies to characters he already portrayed on film. Would Disney have free reign to use his Timekeeper character?

Lensman

Maybe they could turn it into a restaurant? Maybe pizza?

If they wanted to be fancy, your food could be teleported in from another planet.

(I'm not entirely serious, but willing to take serious disagreement, lol)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I feel like I remember reading that Williams limited what Disney could do with is likeness after his death. Unless Zelda or whoever has the rights to his likeness agrees, I think they'd have to find a new Timekeeper.

It'll also be a little sad when they redo Imagination since that means his image will probably come out of there too.

More info on that here: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/robin-williams-restricted-exploitation-his-785292
Interesting Read.

I'm not sure if that applies to his likeness being used in a past attraction. I would assume Disney owns those rights; the AA build and any VO takes. What Disney might not be able to use is a "continuation" of his voice: specifically using it in a new way or splicing dialog together to make Timekeeper say something the late Robin Williams didn't voice directly. Of course it's not like the Timekeeper attraction couldn't be rewritten to feature a new Timekeeper AA, one voiced by a different actor. Though one would hope if an attraction rival were ever attempted, Disney would still pay homage to the original performance.

IMO, Timekeeper would be just the ticket to revitalize Tomorrowland.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Knowing Disney, they'll probably eventually utilize the old Stitch building for more retail space or another eatery.

Nah. I'd probably put money on it becoming a Character Spot dumping ground for all IPs that loosely fit Tomorrowland's Sci-Fi themes. One could easily work in 6 or so Meet and Greet characters in that location. Call it something like Tomorrowland Terminal: Character Encounters

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
What if Disney does the unexpected and put some type of Meet the Robinsons ride/experience :eek:

Meet (🤷‍♂️) the (alien?) from Disney's hit animated movie "Mars Needs Moms" at the Tomorrowland Terminal: Character Encounter. Don't forget to stop by our gift shop to purchase the Blu-ray "Landfill Edition" of "Mars Needs Moms" this Mother's Day Weekend! Now on sale for just $2.99

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom