Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

rushtest4echo

Just thought I'd rehash an older discussion about Alien Encounter (and the Frozen show and Mission:Space since it's sort of relevant here).

Has anyone ever heard of Intimidator 305, Kawasemi and Skyrush? If you're in the wider amusement park/coaster fan communities you probably know them. Those rides are the darlings of certain "hardcore" coaster people. All designed and built by the same manufacturer. Fans that prefer rides like those GROAN LOUDLY when parks announce rides from other companies, and say "why can't we have Intimidator 305 or a Megalite or Skyrush" because those are some of the most highly regarded coasters in the industry. But I've visited the parks that have those rides on multiple occasions, and those are not popular rides. They're too extreme. Each of them enjoy a poor reputation among much of the normal populace. They're very good rides (well actually I don't care for Skyrush or I305 to be honest- too extreme, I'll take Fury and Mako), but normal guests either don't ride them due to their reputation or they get off the ride and say "I hated that, never riding it again". I don't know if those parks regret the decision to build those specific rides, but at all 3 parks I saw huge lines for other attractions while those big new "extreme" coasters were largely ignored. I think Alien Encounter was an excellent concept. Execution could have used some work, but the placement was horrid. Magic Kingdom isn't the appropriate venue. The reason I brought up those extreme coasters is that fans may consider them to be great experiences, but in the end if typical guests don't connect with the ride then it's not going to last. Alien Encounter (though whatever channels) had a bad rap, and was consistently one of the lowest rated/most complained about attractions in the park.

I totally understand the complaint that parents are idiots. I see terrified kids boarding rides they have no business riding all over the place. But those rides are still here, and Alien Encounter is gone. There's a reason for it. Dumb parents may be the reason but that seemed to be a big enough reason to re-do the attraction as unfortunate as that may be. As far as popularity, I did not oversee that attraction (it was gone by the time I moved to that location), but any hold overs from Alien Encounter on the front lines and along side me elsewhere agreed that it wasn't very popular. I never waited in any sort of line for it as a guest though my visits obviously aren't much of a gauge.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I thought that it was Jeffery Jones being sentenced for being a pedophile that forced AE to close? I mean, on top of kids being scared due to negligent parents (never experienced the attraction, but I was scared out of my mind just walking by it).

Bocabear

I thought that it was Jeffery Jones being sentenced for being a pedophile that forced AE to close? I mean, on top of kids being scared due to negligent parents (never experienced the attraction, but I was scared out of my mind just walking by it).
I don't think Jeffery Jones conviction had anything to do with it...he was pretty unrecognizable in his costume and makeup...and for what it cost to completely retool the ride, they could have reshot his footage for a lot less... I suspect it was more about complaints which is a shame because it was a really fun attraction....and kind of fun to have something a little thrilling and scary in the Magic Kingdom...

Cesar R M

Little ones only have their parents to blame.
oh gods this.. and it happens way too much to count.
a few ago my sister complained that the movie theater was filled with kids, and the movie was a VERY SCARY alien horror film.
I guess they were too cheap and lazy to leave kids with someone.

rnese

I doubt they cars will look different. There again they may match the asthetics of the new land.
4338039.jpg

Goob

Any plans to do with something with those pitch black spots in some of the indoor sections? They could do some really cool sets in those.

clemmo

Imo if they decide to go with a big e ticket expansion in TL that would be much better than frontierland or really any other part of the park. Tomorrowland needs help way more than any other area of the park. If they did that and put in SGE replacement that would help increase capacity. As has been said before lines are crazy in that side of the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom