Still Camera or Video?

DisneyFreak

I would have to go with the video. Not only do you get all the sights of WDW you get all the sounds as well.

If you do have a light weight 35mm or advantix camera I would bring that as well.

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I would have to say Digital.
That way you could shoot some video (mpeg) and get a boatload of high quality stills as well.

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by NowInc
I take it one stop further...

Digital Camcorder...takes both stills and videos...really a great asset ;)

Ah-Ha....thats what I ment....thanks NowInc.
Though I suppose you could do it w/ a reg Digi cam....if you pack enough flash memory cards...but they are spensive....

Upvote 0

Beauty and the

We are one of those sad families that have to take both. Each day we have a discussion about leaving one behind, but we are always frightened of missing a wonderful memory that we could never repeat. We just take turns to carry the bag! Well I carry it when we're on the Monorail!!!

Upvote 0

hadleybarth

We invested in very small, light weight cameras (both a digital video and an advantix still) almost entirely so that we could take both to Disnety when we visit. Like Beauty, we just can't stand to leave one or the other behind).

Upvote 0

Carl

Depends.

The first few trips I took the video. Now I have video of most everything, so I take the digital still camera. It is also easier to carry and gets in the way less. Some models are so small they will fit in a pocket.

Upvote 0

disneydentist

Well, somebody has to be different. I carry a midsized digital-8 camcorder. That's not too bad. I use a large capacity battery so I don't have to carry a spare. I have an extra camera mounted microphone for improved sound quality of shows and attractions. I also carry a Minolta 35mm SLR with a 28-200 zoom lens and a full size off camera flash. This is where the weight builds up. Plus at least two spare rolls of film. On the plus side, the camera bag has room for things like autograph book, pens, and small items like pins, etc.... It does get heavy but allows me a lot of versatility photographically.

Upvote 0

Carl

Yes, a few years ago

I took my Canon XL1 with external microphones. Now, THAT was heavy. That year I followed the Magic Kingdom Band around and recorded them. I also recorded the Barbershop Quartet and the Rhythm Rascals. The year before I also got some good tape of the World Class Brass in Epcot and also the German Band in Epcot. Those days are over. I know that the World Class Brass was fired and I don't know how many of the rest of the groups Disney still has, but I think the Magic Kingdom Band (and its sub groups) is gone. That was the first cut backs that Disney started 3 years ago.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I go with a mini-DV Digital video camera, and a Nikon Coolipx Digital still camera. I keep the Nikon with me at all times, and take the DV video on days when I want to shoot something in particular - LOL like my MANY attempts at getting the perfect copy of Reflections of Earth! :D

One tip, if you take a Digital Still, its useful to take a laptop so that you can download your photos each night to your laptop, freeing up your flash memory cards for the next day. Either that, or prepare to spend a fortune on taking loads of flash cards.

Upvote 0

Tramp

Originally posted by disneydentist
Well, somebody has to be different. I carry a midsized digital-8 camcorder. That's not too bad. I use a large capacity battery so I don't have to carry a spare. I have an extra camera mounted microphone for improved sound quality of shows and attractions. I also carry a Minolta 35mm SLR with a 28-200 zoom lens and a full size off camera flash. This is where the weight builds up. Plus at least two spare rolls of film. On the plus side, the camera bag has room for things like autograph book, pens, and small items like pins, etc.... It does get heavy but allows me a lot of versatility photographically.

....ditto.....i carry the high 8 camcorder too..and a 35 mm SLR Canon.....and I have a fairly large bag that begins to feel like a 16 lb bowling ball after awhile.....if we intend to be in the park all day, i rent a stroller to push things around as we usually have a back pack or two with us also...

...seems i use to be on the cutting edge of technology but i'm falling behind further and further....i think NOW, INC mentioned the digital camcorder that can take stills too.....that may be the next step for me...that is, unless something NEW comes out tomorrow.

Upvote 0

popkid

i usually bring the miniDV and digital still cam... both fit snug in a little bag, so not too bad... also throw in a couple different lenses and filters...

on some days, i even bring a minidisc recorder with a stereo condensor mic...

my better half things i'm a lunatic...

not to mention the laptop, and all the chargers and wires - our hotel room ends up looking like MISSION CONTROL

Upvote 0

orlpassholder

hmm my gear usually consists of video camera (mind you I have the old over the shoulder kind) and a Digital Camera (Canon Powershot S20) with a IBM Microdrive flash card. On my lowest setting on the digital camera I can hold almost 900 shots so no need for the laptop for me till I get home, and then I dump to my main workstation, and get on with photoshop

I have been eyeing a new camcorder specifically the Sony TRV730 and TRV530 which so far I am sold on the 530

Steve I am working on to finding the perfect spot to also record reflections of earth my only problem is when the fireworks start do I pull out of zoom and watch those or do I stay on the ball TO MUCH MAN ITS JUST TO MUCH :)

Upvote 0

Carl

Have you thought of the TRV900?

It is the one I have. It has a 4 inch screen. I get double duty out of it by using it on the plane to watch movies. It is a 3CCD digital camera and it also has a slot for either a compact flash or Smart Media card (with appropriate adapter.) Only problem with the still pictures is they are low res. They look great on the screen, though. They're just not high res enough to print.

Upvote 0

orlpassholder

hmm never looked at it... I am going to though. The things I am looking for is true 16:9 WideScreen filming I want the 10hr battery and the boom mic for sound when you zoom in it focus the sound toward the object your on

WOW to much money for me LOL plus no WideScreen

Upvote 0

Carl

TRV900

You can get the 10 hour battery (which for this camera is an 8 hour. It's the same battery. The time depends upon the particular camera.) The camera, like all that I know of, has a 16X9 function, but it reduces the resolution when in that mode. It has an external mike jack, but the microphone would not zoom, because there would be no connection to the zoom on the camera.

Upvote 0

orlpassholder

hmm odd sony didnt list that info on their site atleast about the 16:9 thats still allot of cash for me to drop right now (darn student loans) But ya I would love to have one... Can you encode any of the film you have done and post it to the web so I can see resolution etc. I know it wont be as true etc

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Our first trip we got home with our 5 rolls of flim or 6 days and thought "we didn't take enought pictures." Since then we always take at least 7 rolls. (some people wonder how we can keep taking so many pictures of the same place, they just don't get it. It is nice to be along others who do.

A few years ago we got a camcorder, and used to take that only sometimes.

This year we borrowed a high end digtial still camera and I must say I got hooked on it. It is great getting to see your pictures during the trip and gives you something to look at the air port.

However I am sentimental and need some flim pictures. Needless to say we had 3 cameras, a baby, everthing that goes with a baby and stoller every day. The stoller helped with more then luging the kid around. :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom