Stigma on Dining Plan has Truth

chwilson88

Original Poster
Just got back from the World, and wanted to report that my earlier "hunch" about the stigma attached to the disney dining plan definitely has some truth to it, as I had always thought. If you notice, every time you book a reservation, the moment you walk into a restaurant, and the second you sit down when your waiter arrives, you are asked if you are on the dining plan. I always wondered if it was looked at as a "less profitable" situation from the perspective of the restaurant management. Turns out this has some truth.

I normally book 180 days out for all my dining, and I never use the dining plan. I had a change in my dining plans one night, and had to wing it and be an infamous "walk-up" to a restaurant that particular night. We first tried Bistro de Paris, and the manager initially gave the typical response that they are booked solid, etc etc., and my wife asked if there was anything he could do for us to squeeze us in, make an exception etc, and he said "well, let me ask you this...are you on the dining plan?", to which my wife replied happily NO. He then said "good, ok then, come by at 5:00 and I'll put you on the list." So I thought, wow, it's true, these restaurants don't like diners on the dining plan...there's something about the transaction with Disney or something that is either challenging, slow or difficult and they would much prefer a cash paying customer over a dining plan one ANY DAY. They make much more money/profit on a cash paying customer versus dealing with the bureacracy or logistics of the dining plan.

Turns out we had another situation later that same week where we had to walk up to eat, and we decided to try San Angel Inn, where again they were all booked up. A party ahead of us tried to walk in and they were asked by restaurant staff if they were on the dining plan, to which they replied Yes, and they were subsequently sent away. I walked up right after them, begged for a table, they initially said no, but then I said WAIT, I'm not on the dining plan! so very confidently and proudly...and then, a miracle happened, they said welllllll.....fine. ok. And we got in!!!!

My theory that the dining plan is not an advantageous way to dine, from the standpoint of getting into restaurants, and that it has a negative stigma to it, is correct and now proven.

Computer Magic

Um you can't use the dining plan for Bistro de Paris, so I doubt the waiter cares if you are on the dining plan. You can't use it anyway. The other story sounds fishy as well, since anyone over hearing would have a field day.

chwilson88

Original Poster
I realize that. We were trying for either Chefs de France or Bistro de Paris.....I lumped them into the same category in my post - I should've known someone like you would have a wise remark to give and next time I'll be more careful with my post wording...my point still stands, especiallly with Mexico.

Computer Magic

I realize that. We were trying for either Chefs de France or Bistro de Paris.....I lumped them into the same category in my post - I should've known someone like you would have a wise remark to give and next time I'll be more careful with my post wording...my point still stands, especiallly with Mexico.
It good to be accurate with your thread so it doesn't get labled as fishy. All it takes is one misresprentation to have it thrown out.

Maybe people should say they aren't on the plan until seated....

I've been there both on and not on the Dining Plan. I think the biggest reasons the cast doesn't like people who are on the dining plan is because they become rude and cheap. Remember, those cast members don't make a lot and don't deserve the "I deserve everything, you MUST SERVE me" :zipit: attitude that many guests who would otherwise never set foot in a table service restaurant bring. I've seen this many times when I've been there. Plus, many people on the Dining Plan become "cheap" and tip little or nothing because of the plan. I make sure to be as pleasant to the cast members as I expect them to be to me and tip very well whether I am on a Dining Plan or not.

Tomi-Rocket

DDP everytime....

We have used the dining plan on each trip with no problems, no rude staff, no bad service, etc. I wouldn't even go to WDW without the DDP because, for us, then our entire trip is paid for with exception of the tips and souvenier money. Although, I'm a very laid back person and it takes a lot for me to complain.

Ajax Redux

Our server at Le Cellier on 3/20/10 asked if we were going to use any of the dining plans. When I said 'No', he replied- "Good.. now you're not limited in what you can order". The people at the table next to us heard that, and began to wonder out loud what they would be missing.

BTW, I believe that Le Cellier has been adversely impacted by the dining plans... at only one table service credit, they're flipping tables as fast as they can. I've never had a meal at that restaurant, and it's one of our favorites, that was so rushed and impersonal. Not good.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
My last 4 trips to WDW I have used Free Dining. I have NEVER had bad service or rushed out of anywhere we have chosen to eat. The ONLY bad experience I had was at 50's and that was on our Christmas trip that we decided to do QS dining for that. So the one time we DID actually come out of pocket we had terrible service, and food.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Our server at Le Cellier on 3/20/10 asked if we were going to use any of the dining plans. When I said 'No', he replied- "Good.. now you're not limited in what you can order". The people at the table next to us heard that, and began to wonder out loud what they would be missing.
In fairness, the server likely has to deal with two issues with guests using DDP: The guest who orders things not covered and then complains that they didn't know and don't want to pay, and the guest that spends forever trying to work out the best "value" they can get under the DDP. I suspect servers spend a lot of effort trying to ensure people on the plans a clear on exactly what is and isn't included.

There have been lots of Magic members who've asked if there are different menus for people on DDP and those not. There aren't, but folks assume that they're somehow getting treated differently.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
In fairness, the server likely has to deal with two issues with guests using DDP: The guest who orders things not covered and then complains that they didn't know and don't want to pay, and the guest that spends forever trying to work out the best "value" they can get under the DDP. I suspect servers spend a lot of effort trying to ensure people on the plans a clear on exactly what is and isn't included.

There have been lots of Magic members who've asked if there are different menus for people on DDP and those not. There aren't, but folks assume that they're somehow getting treated differently.

I agree...We see people around us just causing a huge delay in everything because of it...asking if beer is considered alcohol and what not...Really???

It probably is a relief for them when someone is not on the DDP because they won't have to treat the table like its full of 5 year olds who cant read or process instructions.

Like I said we ALWAYS get treated GREAT!

tigsmom

I am going to preface this by saying that we have never used the dining plan in the past...every time we are seated in a restaurant they ask if we are on the dining plan whether it was a reservation or a walk up.

The server in Le Cellier asked us, we replied no and she replied "great! Then you can order anything you want!!" She was very attentive, took the time to explain the different dishes and our glasses were never empty; she was very attentive and the fact was not wasted on the couple next to us who were almost ignored (yep, they were on the dining plan).

Computer Magic

I agree...We see people around us just causing a huge delay in everything because of it...asking if beer is considered alcohol and what not...Really???

It probably is a relief for them when someone is not on the DDP because they won't have to treat the table like its full of 5 year olds who cant read or process instructions.

Like I said we ALWAYS get treated GREAT!
Yeah, I never had any problems with DDP. I think the early comment of "included" means Apperitzers, alcohol, etc.

harveyt0206

I've used the dining plan twice now and have enjoyed both wonderful service and great food. Now, I will admit that as others have already indicated, knowing the plan and how it works is a huge plus in my opinion. I am sure it is extremely frustrating for the servers to have to repeat the dining rules over and over each and every day for folks who sign up but don't really understand how it works.

There will always be lovers of the plan and an equal number of haters of the plan. That's just how life works.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
My DH and I love the DDP and we have had both the DDP and the Deluxe Dining Plan. Never has any of our service or seating been effected by this. We always get the tables we want (window in CRT or outside by water at R & C or window at CG). The CM's are always friendly. Our food is always fabulous. We would never think of traveling without the plan. The very first time my DH and I went to WDW together was for our honeymoon and I hadn't been to the World in a very long time and didn't know about the dining plan. We were asked then, as we are asked every time now, "are you on the Dining Plan?" I don't think that it matters. We got a table at R & C on our honeymoon while not on the dining. And on the DDP, I walked up to CRT and got a table. Same thing at Les Chefs de France.

We like the plan too and have never had a problem with it. If we order an appetizer and a cocktail we simply tell them up front that we know it's a extra purchase and that their tip will be in cash.

lilclerk

I'm usually asked "Are you on any discount? Dining plan, Tables in Wonderland...?" I think they're just wondering how they should cater to you when they ask that.

Korfar

My last 4 trips to WDW I have used Free Dining. I have NEVER had bad service or rushed out of anywhere we have chosen to eat. The ONLY bad experience I had was at 50's and that was on our Christmas trip that we decided to do QS dining for that. So the one time we DID actually come out of pocket we had terrible service, and food.

Same here. Well for us it was the last 2 trips and using it again this fall. We have never had bad service. I have paid for table service meals in the past before I knew about thedining plan and the service was no better than with the dinning plan. There will always be good and bad ecperiences with both the DDP and not.

HouCuseChickie

I'm usually asked "Are you on any discount? Dining plan, Tables in Wonderland...?" I think they're just wondering how they should cater to you when they ask that.

This seems to make the most sense...i.e. in an effort to provide the best service for the customer, they get a little info up front to better accomodate you during your dining experience. And all the servers who say "great" after being told you're not on DDP- who is to say that "great" isn't their stock response for everyone in every scenario? :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom