Step up, step down: Monorail and Transports(buses)sheer stupidity??

Goofyernmost

The only real problem with the transportation system at WDW is the people who don't understand how any public transportation works and always think they know more then the people that design and build the systems. Those that think along the lines of " hey, we are ready to go, where's the damn bus". You have options if the system either doesn't work for you or you are unable to accept the reality of the physical world of transit. If you fly in, rent a car and stop being a prisoner confined by the incorrect notion that driving from the airport is worse then circumcision with a piece of corrugated cardboard. Have a car and you can come and go as you please, no waiting for buses, just jump in your car. No wait at all. No crowded bus. No smelly other guests to deal with. Or take a cab. But, stop thinking that transit systems are or can be designed to your individual needs. They are for the public at large and therefore operate in that world. Not the fantasy one you live in. They are not going to get individual transportation mods that are there when you walk up and take you to your door.

This type of transportation works in places like New York City, Chicago, LA, Boston, etc. that house millions of people that use the system daily. Is it sometimes a hassle? Is it sometimes delayed due to traffic, etc.? Yes, it is, yet, it manages to get all those people to wherever they want to go and that is the purpose. It will never be like a Rolls Royce, so either accept that or buy your own Rolls.

Having more buses will not solve the problem, but, at a half a million a piece, you will be paying more for admission, and getting exactly the same service.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Wow, after a bunch of posts someone finally said it.
I have been waiting for this.

This was the underlying point of my rhetorically laced question: TIME

It is not much fun waiting for loading and/or unloading of chairs come 12:30 nighttime after a long day in the parks
Or trying to make that FP time window, meet your party or be on time for a dinner reservation.

You will still have to wait for the chair/ecv to be secured.

OsbourneCox

Original Poster
There are innumerable GATES that service millions of guests at the 4 parks which allow safe boarding and regulate flow on attractions like a Yeti or Kilamajaro Safari.

But you and at lest one other on this topic are declaring(indirectly) that they can not be used for buses which service millions. Why is that? Gate "technology" and "engineering" can only work inside the berm with exception of Monorail platforms? Is this what you are actually indirectly telling us?

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

There are innumerable GATES that service millions of guests at the 4 parks which allow safe boarding and regulate flow on attractions like a Yeti or Kilamajaro Safari.

But you and at lest one other on this topic are declaring(indirectly) that they can not be used for buses which service millions. Why is that? Gate "technology" and "engineering" can only work inside the berm with exception of Monorail platforms? Is this what you are actually indirectly telling us?
Gates mean no double loading of buses when there is a delay. Gates don’t give all buses a uniform floor height. Gates don’t solve the longer time required to secure passengers.

OsbourneCox

Original Poster
Gates mean no double loading of buses when there is a delay. Gates don’t give all buses a uniform floor height.

How on Earth do you figure gates mean no double boarding?
I guess Space Mnt and the likes only use one gate per "train" under your theory.
And what in the world do gates have to do with uniform heights??? Hint: nothing
I was merely showing the absurdity of those who feel----for some strange bias perhaps-----gates can not be installed on platforms to address safety when they most certainly can be if Disney elected to do it.

Again, has anyone here ridden Kilamanjaro Safari or taken flights out of Wash. Dulles? These same level platforms as the transports work

Waiting for some narrow minded response:
"But Kilimanjaro transports are not identical to buses therefore it can't be done"

lazyboy97o

How on Earth do you figure gates mean no double boarding?
I guess Space Mnt and the likes only use one gate per "train" under your theory.
And what in the world do gates have to do with uniform heights??? Hint: nothing
I was merely showing the absurdity of those who feel----for some strange bias perhaps-----gates can not be installed on platforms to address safety when they most certainly can be if Disney elected to do it.

Again, has anyone here ridden Kilamanjaro Safari or taken flights out of Wash. Dulles? These same level platforms as the transports work

Waiting for some narrow minded response:
"But Kilimanjaro transports are not identical to buses therefore it can't be done"
Gates dictate where boarding occurs. You cannot just pull up another vehicle and board.

Gates would be built on your desired platform, which must be level to get your desired level loading.

The issue is not that it cannot be done. It is that it invites its own set of expenses and limitations without really achieving the desired result.

Driver

Disney uses two brand of busses Gillig and Nova. There is a slight difference in the elevation between the two ( kneeling or not) and there are differences between the individual busses within the specific brands. ECV's are a necessary evil ( no offense to people who need them) . I always ask users if they want me to help and 9 times out of 10 they are relieved and say YES! I can park it way faster than the user can. That being said , motor coaches are designed for long distance riding (narrow aisle) Disney busses are designed to move a lot of people quickly. The open floor plan lends itself well to accommodate awkward items ECV's and strollers. Anything can be tweaked but the Disney bus is the one size fits most for the application. Let's face it it's a people "truck". As mentioned to customize all load zones or buy new busses would be a lot of money spent for a little gain on a system that already works pretty good! I say take that money and build us another cool attraction.:) As I have said in other threads when other forms of transportation go down the busses are the cavalry that come in to save the day. If one bus breaks down the most people that are affected is 70-75 max. If a ferry or monorail go down then it hundreds. I look at transportation as a whole, to me the diversity at Disney is what makes it so effective.IMHO;)

Hrudey3032

So you are put out a few extra minutes is your argument? We are all tired not just you but I do not go out of the parks in a mad rush like many so that the lines will be much shorter when I do leave. I get to see take a few extra photos and deal with less lines and usually all goes real smoothly. So because you are upset that means we need to go and completely redo everything that has been done? We need to redo all the what? because OsbourneCox doesn't like the method in place?

Driver

Another 2 cents ,last night (12-16-17)there where approximately 70,000 in MK. At around 11:30 pm the ferries and monorails could not keep up with demand to bring people back to TTC. So bus runs where set up to help ( yes there was a line there as well). But the point being this underscores the usefulness and diversity of the busses to jump in under just about any situation and help. No special loading docks required. "Load & Go" and at times 2 busses loading simultaneously.

Hrudey3032

Another 2 cents ,last night (12-16-17)there where approximately 70,000 in MK. At around 11:30 pm the ferries and monorails could not keep up with demand to bring people back to TTC. So bus runs where set up to help ( yes there was a line there as well). But the point being this underscores the usefulness and diversity of the busses to jump in under just about any situation and help. No special loading docks required. "Load & Go" and at times 2 busses loading simultaneously.

Now why go introducing things like logic and actual reality into the discussion.

OsbourneCox

Original Poster
I say take that money and build us another cool attraction.:)

I say that too. Attractions trump transportation times by a long shot.

But since that will not happen then I say at least streamline what is already a time issue both on monorail and transport.
The monorail doors should be retrofitted and accommodate roll on ADAish loading like less than 1/2 inch bump or change in elevation. Make them like the Washington Metro or BART system.

lazyboy97o

I say that too. Attractions trump transportation times by a long shot.

But since that will not happen then I say at least streamline what is already a time issue both on monorail and transport.
The monorail doors should be retrofitted and accommodate roll on ADAish loading like less than 1/2 inch bump or change in elevation. Make them like the Washington Metro or BART system.
It’s not just the doors that would have to be retrofitted. All of the platforms would also have to be raised, and with that all of the stairs, ramps and elevators rebuilt.

OsbourneCox

Original Poster
All of the platforms would also have to be raised, and with that all of the stairs, ramps and elevators rebuilt.

I can't refute your claim; all I can do is say that it doesn't look right. I'm guessing that you're mistaken on that but it's just a guess on my part.

When I return to MK in early Jan. I will have another look at the monorail platforms-----who knows maybe I just might concede and say you are indeed right.

lazyboy97o

I can't refute your claim; all I can do is say that it doesn't look right. I'm guessing that you're mistaken on that but it's just a guess on my part.

When I return to MK in early Jan. I will have another look at the monorail platforms-----who knows maybe I just might concede and say you are indeed right.
You’re complaining about the time required to set up the monorail ramps. What else would the ramps be for but to change elevation?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom