Statistically highest rated attractions

rricks26

Original Poster
Used to be a cm over in future world west, and our management team was consistently reminding us that soarin and toy story are the highest rated attractions in Disney World according to their polls and the survey takers. Thoughts on this? IMHO they are probably the two attractions I skip most... Just saying my opinion and you don't have to agree but, I think soarin is a glorified rocking chair and toy story is a better version of buzz that makes my arm hurt...

Spikerdink

I can see why those two rides are the highest rated attractions.

First, they are two rides that can accommodate everyone from young to old and have enough of a thrill that people walk off happy. In terms of Soarin', they love the scenery, the scents and the sway (for a little alliteration) and TSM, it is the 3D, the movement/scene changes and the competition.

Why they finished ahead of Space Mountain, Tower of Terror or RockNRollercoaster? It's my guess that a good number of people are not heavy thrill ride people and wouldn't choose those rides as their favorites. (I myself always feel like I am going to be decapitated on SM - illogical I know, but I always have that dread. Yet, I ride it every trip.)

The great thing about the entire WDW is there is pretty much something for everyone from mild to semi-wild and people can mix and match with the entire party to find something to enjoy....

ParentsOf4

IMHO Soarin' and TSM are popular because they are relatively new attractions with multi-generational appeal. They can be enjoyed equally by children, parents, and grandparents. Eliminate physically strenuous attractions and what are you left with? IMHO, nothing at DHS, Epcot, or DAK. At MK, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion (scares young children), PotC (again scary), and Buzz. (Other suggestions?)

Most other super headliner attractions at WDW have limited appeal or are several decades old.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Then why didn't my sexiest man alive survey yield the result I wanted?
Because you didn't word it correctly.

See...of all the men in the world, but only counting the men within a 3 ft radius of you and holding a clipboard, who is the sexiest man alive?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
IMHO Soarin' and TSM are popular because they are relatively new attractions with multi-generational appeal. They can be enjoyed equally by children, parents, and grandparents. Eliminate physically strenuous attractions and what are you left with? IMHO, nothing at DHS, Epcot, or DAK. At MK, Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion (scares young children), PotC (again scary), and Buzz. (Other suggestions?)

Most other super headliner attractions at WDW have limited appeal or are several decades old.

Maybe a bit too strict. My kids dug GMR when they were young. Do you count ST as physically strenuous? SSE, Living with the Land, Seas with Nemo, etc. all have some appeal for my family. I suppose they don't count as super headliners. I personally think of SSE as an e-ticket but that's probably my age talking. I suppose movies and shows are off limits? DAK is most in need of a few gentle, yet cool attractions followed closely by DHS. Anyway, this is a rambly post, but I agree with the general logic about why Soarin' and TSMM are so highly rated.

rricks26 said:
Thoughts on this? IMHO they are probably the two attractions I skip most... Just saying my opinion and you don't have to agree but, I think soarin is a glorified rocking chair and toy story is a better version of buzz that makes my arm hurt...

It's good to be different at WDW. We have to do VoTLM for my daughter which is never a problem. Star Tours and Indy Jones for the boy. It makes life a lot easier if it's not the end of the world if we miss TSMM.

MarkTwain

I have also heard (from several people that would know) that Soarin' is the highest-rated attraction on property. Didn't know that about Midway Mania, but I believe it.

I personally find that a bit sad at a resort in which attractions like Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, and Kilimanjaro Safaris exist, but ah well.

MarkTwain

Don't forget language. Guessing right off, I would estimate that some 20% WDW guests are from a foreign country, for whom script-heavy attractions like GMR or Mansion would have a reduced emotional impact. Some of the strengths in attractions like Soarin' and Midway Mania are, admittedly, that their lack of a script and emphasis on a more visual/tactile experience means that they hold stronger appeal for everybody. I would imagine having 20% of your park guests not fully understand your attraction can really bring down its rating in surveys.

I'd love to start a thread on this sometime soon. I'm convinced that WDW's evolving nature as an increasingly international resort is one of the biggest changes the resort is seeing.

Genie of the Lamp

I'm suprised the highest rated attractions aren't the princess M&G's since Disney considers them attractions now. For me, if I don't get a front row seat for Soarin, then it's a wasted ride experience for me knowing that there are dangling feet and ride vehicle right above me. TSMM I like, just think it's too rushed. It's a good workout though and a master of it on my Wii. Also like the fact that in addition to you being able to move your shooter, you and your opponent have different colored blasters as opposed to BLSRS where your blaster is stationary and every color blaster is the same color (red) so it can be hard to identify which laser shooter is yours. So in essence on TSMM, it's easier to identify what and where you're shooting at, and with BLSRS, while you are able to control/spin your vehicle, your lasers are stationary and it can be hard to determine where your shooting at being that everyone else has the same laser color (red).

rricks26

Original Poster
I have also heard (from several people that would know) that Soarin' is the highest-rated attraction on property. Didn't know that about Midway Mania, but I believe it.

I personally find that a bit sad at a resort in which attractions like Spaceship Earth, Haunted Mansion, and Kilimanjaro Safaris exist, but ah well.
Highly agree. I guess they have, especially with soarin', universal appeal. But at the same time, there are tons of attractions, like the ones listed, most anyone can do that you would think would be higher rated.

Another bit of info I've heard is that soarin and toy story aren't as highly popular in Dland compared to WDW. Can anyone confirm that and, why do you think that is?

MarkTwain

Highly agree. I guess they have, especially with soarin', universal appeal. But at the same time, there are tons of attractions, like the ones listed, most anyone can do that you would think would be higher rated.

Another bit of info I've heard is that soarin and toy story aren't as highly popular in Dland compared to WDW. Can anyone confirm that and, why do you think that is?

I would guess that is largely due to placement - DCA has a larger supply of family rides like TSMM (unlike DHS) and a larger supply of "big" rides like Soarin' (unlike Epcot). Another factor might be that screen-based rides tend to have lower repeatibility, and repeatibility has a greater importance with Disneyland's higher repeat-customer base.

Aurora1

I think that they definitely have a more universal appeal, since they can be ridden by people of all ages, interests, etc. When I was at HS this past Tuesday, the line for TSMM was over an hour after the park had only been open for 15 minutes. We ended up getting fastpasses for 1:30 PM when we arrived at 9:15AM. It's definitely got the "fun for the whole family" appeal, as they aren't scary or too thrill-ride.

acishere

I think their respective parks also really help with their universal appeal. DHS has a lack of attractions for everyone and Soarin is the most exciting attraction everyone can ride in a park filled with edutainment attractions.

Because you didn't word it correctly.

See...of all the men in the world, but only counting the men within a 3 ft radius of you and holding a clipboard, who is the sexiest man alive?

Unfortunately every time I try that question in my survey, Brad Pitt walks within 3 feet of me and the woman.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom