Statements about WDW that grind your gears

Jrb1979

Very true. Just for kicks I like to plan out vacations. And I mean full on planning, doing everything from researching the weather to rough itineraries. Once you factor in food, entertainment, transportation, and lodging, most places are about the same as Disney. And Disney definitely simplifies the process, even if some of their methods may be controversial. All-inclusive resorts and cruises aside, I can't think of anywhere else where I'm given free transportation to and within my destination, access to entertainment that can easily keep me busy for four-five days without needing to repeat anything, and have my dining all paid for excluding tips.

As far as not travelling much; I'll say that it isn't that the folks on here don't travel, it's that a lot of them (not *all*, but a lot) seem to almost exclusively go to DW. Which is fine, but I think that's lead to a lot of people thinking these price increases are exclusive to Disney and they're not.
I travel lots and Disney is far more expensive then most places I have been. I stay at Cedar Point for a week every May and it costs me much less then a Disney trip. I was just in Myrtle Beach at the beginning of March and that also cost less then Disney. The best part of both is not having to plan down to the minute what I am doing.

Shouldigo12

I travel lots and Disney is far more expensive then most places I have been. I stay at Cedar Point for a week every May and it costs me much less then a Disney trip. I was just in Myrtle Beach at the beginning of March and that also cost less then Disney. The best part of both is not having to plan down to the minute what I am doing.
Well I think I've already established I like planning haha. If you can take trips to places you like better for less, that's truly nice for you and your family. For me, when I price out vacations to places I want to go at the same style of vacation I do at Disney (decent hotel, a few restaurant meals a day, lots of activities) it pretty much always comes out equal.

doctornick

Well I think I've already established I like planning haha. If you can take trips to places you like better for less, that's truly nice for you and your family. For me, when I price out vacations to places I want to go at the same style of vacation I do at Disney (decent hotel, a few restaurant meals a day, lots of activities) it pretty much always comes out equal.
Totally with you. Of course the cost of a vacation will depend on what you do, but the types of vacation that my family does going to WDW doesn't seem particularly unreasonable. If we aren't going to Disney, we are often traveling internationally (mostly to Europe at this point given the kids) and it is not any cheaper than going to Disney. And even other trips in the US seem pretty comparable to me - we were planning to go to Yellowstone this summer (almost certainly not happening now though...) and between the flights, hotels, activities, car rental, food it was in the same ballpark as Disney (admittedly flights were more due to distance and less options which eats up a big chunk and wouldn't necessarily be the same for everyone).

I suppose if you are comparing Disney to driving to your local beach and just chillin', sure it will seem expensive. But IMHO that's not a comparable vacation. YMMV.

Movielover

"Its awful and has no artistic value, will be the worst ride ever made. I will never ride it, the original designers would have never put something like this in here"...

All said 5 minutes after a single piece of concept art is released 2 years before the ride is even completed.

unmitigated disaster

That every WDW version of a similar DL attraction is automatically inferior because DL was the original and Walt walked the park etc etc. There are some WDW attractions that are better than their California counterparts.
Also, realistically, for many people differences might be something they don't spot, or only vaguely.

"The only things to eat at quick service restaurants are burgers, chicken nuggets and hot dogs". 40 years ago? You had a point. Now? No.

COrunner

What are some fairly common statements about the parks that get thrown around that are hard for you to not step in and speak up about? Those things people say that you just can’t let slide and ignore, you have to voice your opinion on it?

Everyone has hit the big ones: Too Expensive/Geared at kids only/Too much focus on 'insert IP'

The one that always got me was 'Everything is fake'.

Katelynbird

The one that gets me now that I am 19 is that I am getting too old to be this obsessed still over Disney. I hear it all the time that Disney is for little kids and , "I can't believe you are going to Disney again, why don't you wait until you have a little kid of you own to take." Well it is because I enjoy it myself and I love to go and have fun there, that's why.

Little Green Men

That every WDW version of a similar DL attraction is automatically inferior because DL was the original and Walt walked the park etc etc. There are some WDW attractions that are better than their California counterparts.
A million percent this!

Splash mountain, Haunted Mansion, a working Peoplemover, high up Astro Orbitor, COP, CBJ, HOP, Winnie the Pooh, TSI non piratefied, Swiss Family Treehouse, etc.

Kate F

Original Poster
This doesn’t so much grind my gears as it perplexes me in the worst way:

When someone says they’ve been going to Disney for years and have never ridden Splash Mountain because they don’t want to get wet. Even though Splash doesn’t really get you that wet unless you’re in the front (at least from my experience). I just feel bad knowing what they’ve been missing out on.

graphite1326

This doesn’t so much grind my gears as it perplexes me in the worst way:

When someone says they’ve been going to Disney for years and have never ridden Splash Mountain because they don’t want to get wet. Even though Splash doesn’t really get you that wet unless you’re in the front (at least from my experience). I just feel bad knowing what they’ve been missing out on.
Yeah I gotta do everything at lease once and then if I don't like you can always say you rode it. For me it's Mission Space. I actually like the ride but hate the feeling I get after (slight headache). But I did it.

My biggest pet peeve is when someone says they are afraid of heights and won't ride something. We are all afraid of heights! It's just natural. For me I am not going to miss something exciting with that lame excuse. You only live once. (unless you believe in reincarnation then you live several times)

Letteyeti

I get irritated when people say to me that WDW or Disney Parks in general are lame because they have no thrill rides. Disney may not have the coasters that a Six Flags may have, but for me an amusement park is more than just coasters and Disney has something for all ages which I think is great.

UNCgolf

My biggest pet peeve is when someone says they are afraid of heights and won't ride something. We are all afraid of heights! It's just natural. For me I am not going to miss something exciting with that lame excuse. You only live once. (unless you believe in reincarnation then you live several times)

That's just not accurate; I think you're misunderstanding what a true fear of heights is. There's a huge difference between the natural wariness of heights that everyone has to some extent and someone that actually has acrophobia. Someone with acrophobia could have a severe panic attack or even a heart attack from riding those rides because of the tremendous stress it would cause.

graphite1326

That's just not accurate; I think you're misunderstanding what a true fear of heights is. There's a huge difference between the natural wariness of heights that everyone has to some extent and someone that actually has acrophobia. Someone with acrophobia could have a severe panic attack or even a heart attack from riding those rides because of the tremendous stress it would cause.
I'm sorry I didn't realize there was a doctor on these boards.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom