Statements about WDW that grind your gears

Club Cooloholic

True enough. My children's sports leagues are being cancelled or at the very least postponed as well. This is not good for the social development of children at all. We really are beyond the point of reason though. They've drilled it in people's heads for too long about "social distancing" and wearing masks and such that I don't think it would matter who told these people to chill, they still wouldn't. It is an irrational fear, and let's not even get into how this affects the 3rd world countries who have even more people dying of starvation because of this.

But the mere idea that you are selfish because you want your job back or your rights back just shows you how much people are brainwashed by this whole thing. Masks should be optional. Believe me, there are enough paranoid people that will still wear them but it should not have anything to do with my choices. And now we are seeing any sort of summer plans we may have had just go up in flames. Believe it orot, you have a right to create memories with your family, that is sort of the point and WDW is a good start.
You guys realize there is a whole political section to complain on, the thread is "things said about WDW that grind your gears" not "stay at home and social distancing really grinds my gears"

Club Cooloholic

I said on one of the first pages not to turn this into a discussion about masks, but it happened anyway.
As for my own gear grinder "WDW is better than DL, it has more rides"
Which is false.
And
"Parents shouldn't bring babies to WDW, they wont remember any of it"
Maybe...but the parents sure do. I mean nobody says, why bring a baby to the zoo or to see Santa at Christmas time.

Heppenheimer

Which is false.
And
Maybe...but the parents sure do. I mean nobody says, why bring a baby to the zoo or to see Santa at Christmas time.
We have videos of our 18 month old having a blast at the Golde Horseshoe and meeting Mickey and Minnie at a character breakfast. right before Disneyland shut down. Who cares if he doesn't remember it, those wonderful moments are now captured for the ages. He'll probably enjoy seeing these videos when he gets older.

Club Cooloholic

We have videos of our 18 month old having a blast at the Golde Horseshoe and meeting Mickey and Minnie at a character breakfast. right before Disneyland shut down. Who cares if he doesn't remember it, those wonderful moments are now captured for the ages. He'll probably enjoy seeing these videos when he gets older.
Also, they get in FREE!

NelleBelle

We took our oldest at 15mo and have video of him really learning to walk more than a couple of steps (while dad and grandma rode TT) and he got his first haircut at the Main St Barbershop--those videos are priceless memories! We took our youngest for his 2nd trip at 18mo to get his 1st haircut as well (his 1st visit was at 4-weeks but that's another story). We would do all those trips again!

doctornick

Which is false.

I haven't counted in a while, but with the closures at DL (Bug's Land) combined with the builds (greater at WDW recently), I think WDW actually now has more rides.

(As an aside, I'll always contend that if you are going to count the Monorail at DLR as a "ride" then you should surely count the Monorail at WDW, not to mention other forms of transport like the Skyliner and the Epcot and resort boats).

Yeah, to me, that kind of statement is like saying you should just never take your infant/toddler anywhere because they won't remember anything. Just leave 'em in a high chair and never do anything.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

It's true, it's not the Orlando that tourists think in their minds. If you've ever been on the Trail or if you're even braver, go on the side streets, you would know.
I made the mistake of booking a one night stay at a hotel on there before checking into WDW the next day. Never again. My sons saw prostitutes---which led to an interesting conversation.

Club Cooloholic

At times, even recently, the Disneyland Resort has had more rides than Walt Disney World. Even when Walt Disney World has more rides it is not by any sizable margin.
Yeah, I haven't done the count since bug life land closed, but some of that will be made back when the Avengerspamd reopens. It is remarkably close in count when you consider the footprints of 2 parks vs 4. DL certainly beats WDW MK in my opinion.

doctornick

Yeah, I haven't done the count since bug life land closed, but some of that will be made back when the Avengerspamd reopens. It is remarkably close in count when you consider the footprints of 2 parks vs 4. DL certainly beats WDW MK in my opinion.

Its absolutely true that the ride count between the resorts is similar. But I think it is somewhat misleading to look at raw numbers without the larger picture. In fact, in keeping with the topic of this thread, it does kinda "grind my gears" when people mindlessly talk about the ride count between the resorts as a shorthand way of indicating DLR is "equal" or "similar" to WDW.

DLR absolutely has a much greater concentration of rides - in a small footprint, the resort has them packed in with tons of offerings. With the overall smaller guest numbers at DLR compared to WDW that does have the great benefit of shorter overall lines and wait times to do more rides at DLR.

That said, a simple ride count between the two resorts ignores the quality and scope of the rides. DLR absolutely has some distinct outstanding rides that WDW does not have (e.g. IJA, Matterhorn, RSR, Incredicoaster, GOTG:MB) but most of the rides at DLR not at WDW are either charming but not headliner type stuff like the FL dark rides or off the shelf rides like those in Paradise Gardens in DCA. At WDW, you have a greater number of headliners that are unique (e.g. FoP, Safari, Everest, Dinosaur, SSE, Test Track, RnR, ToT plus some that would at least be debatable like 7DMT, M:S, Living with the Land). I think it is interesting that you don't really hear DLR fanatics complain about losing 4 rides (plus a show) in A Bug's Land to "only" get 2 Marvel rides - reflecting that the quality, not quantity of the rides tend to be a driving factor for guest satisfaction.

Plus it always bothers me when people count the Monorail as a "ride" in DLR but don't count it at WDW as it is outside the gates - if you are just trying to account for "what can you ride at the resort" then the fact that that WDW has 2-3 Monorail lines (if you want to count the two MK as separate or different) plus Skyliner plus even the various ferry boats. That's additional "rides" to experience for a park guest, why wouldn't they be counted?

And then the other point is that WDW has a much larger amount of shows and walk around stuff/areas to explore compared to DLR. DL's much higher ride numbers came at a loss of some shows (CBJ, Mickey Mouse Club Theater, Circarama) such that the show disparity number between the two resorts is significant -- whether it is Audio-Animatronic (CBJ, HoP, American Experience, CoP at WDW vs Lincoln at DLR), live performance (FOTLK, IJ stunt show, Nemo musical, BATB theater, bird show, Royal Friendship Faire vs Mickey & the Magic Map, Frozen) or films (Canada & China Circlevision, France film, ITTBAB, Muppet Vision, Awesome Planet - not talking about the rotating movie previews). There's a lot more of these types of "attractions" at WDW which gets overlooked if focusing on rides. To be fair to DLR, when it comes to the large scale entertainment (fireworks, parades, etc.) the two parks are about even which is a kick towards for WDW since they are spread over more parks.

Furthermore, while DLR has some cool places to explore (like New Orleans Sq), there are a lot more walk around stuff like the animal trails at DAK, Pandora as a land, the aquarium at Epcot or all the WS pavilions at Epcot - and obviously the disparity of resort hotels to visit if you enjoy that. There's also stuff like SotMK, Pirate's adventure and Agent P (is it officially Ducktales now?) that facilitate and enhance exploring the parks. I think all of this "extra" stuff beyond just rides illustrates why WDW tends to be a destination for longer vacations compared to DLR despite a similarity in ride numbers.

That all being said, I do definitely agree that WDW could use an increase number of rides, especially smaller supporting ones in the non-MK parks, to round out offerings.

Club Cooloholic

Its absolutely true that the ride count between the resorts is similar. But I think it is somewhat misleading to look at raw numbers without the larger picture. In fact, in keeping with the topic of this thread, it does kinda "grind my gears" when people mindlessly talk about the ride count between the resorts as a shorthand way of indicating DLR is "equal" or "similar" to WDW.

DLR absolutely has a much greater concentration of rides - in a small footprint, the resort has them packed in with tons of offerings. With the overall smaller guest numbers at DLR compared to WDW that does have the great benefit of shorter overall lines and wait times to do more rides at DLR.

That said, a simple ride count between the two resorts ignores the quality and scope of the rides. DLR absolutely has some distinct outstanding rides that WDW does not have (e.g. IJA, Matterhorn, RSR, Incredicoaster, GOTG:MB) but most of the rides at DLR not at WDW are either charming but not headliner type stuff like the FL dark rides or off the shelf rides like those in Paradise Gardens in DCA. At WDW, you have a greater number of headliners that are unique (e.g. FoP, Safari, Everest, Dinosaur, SSE, Test Track, RnR, ToT plus some that would at least be debatable like 7DMT, M:S, Living with the Land). I think it is interesting that you don't really hear DLR fanatics complain about losing 4 rides (plus a show) in A Bug's Land to "only" get 2 Marvel rides - reflecting that the quality, not quantity of the rides tend to be a driving factor for guest satisfaction.

Plus it always bothers me when people count the Monorail as a "ride" in DLR but don't count it at WDW as it is outside the gates - if you are just trying to account for "what can you ride at the resort" then the fact that that WDW has 2-3 Monorail lines (if you want to count the two MK as separate or different) plus Skyliner plus even the various ferry boats. That's additional "rides" to experience for a park guest, why wouldn't they be counted?

And then the other point is that WDW has a much larger amount of shows and walk around stuff/areas to explore compared to DLR. DL's much higher ride numbers came at a loss of some shows (CBJ, Mickey Mouse Club Theater, Circarama) such that the show disparity number between the two resorts is significant -- whether it is Audio-Animatronic (CBJ, HoP, American Experience, CoP at WDW vs Lincoln at DLR), live performance (FOTLK, IJ stunt show, Nemo musical, BATB theater, bird show, Royal Friendship Faire vs Mickey & the Magic Map, Frozen) or films (Canada & China Circlevision, France film, ITTBAB, Muppet Vision, Awesome Planet - not talking about the rotating movie previews). There's a lot more of these types of "attractions" at WDW which gets overlooked if focusing on rides. To be fair to DLR, when it comes to the large scale entertainment (fireworks, parades, etc.) the two parks are about even which is a kick towards for WDW since they are spread over more parks.

Furthermore, while DLR has some cool places to explore (like New Orleans Sq), there are a lot more walk around stuff like the animal trails at DAK, Pandora as a land, the aquarium at Epcot or all the WS pavilions at Epcot - and obviously the disparity of resort hotels to visit if you enjoy that. There's also stuff like SotMK, Pirate's adventure and Agent P (is it officially Ducktales now?) that facilitate and enhance exploring the parks. I think all of this "extra" stuff beyond just rides illustrates why WDW tends to be a destination for longer vacations compared to DLR despite a similarity in ride numbers.

That all being said, I do definitely agree that WDW could use an increase number of rides, especially smaller supporting ones in the non-MK parks, to round out offerings.
First off, Cars Land, in my opinion is one of the best experiences in any Disney park.
And I speak as someone who has spent way more time in WDW.

WDW is for sure a great one week vacation spot with the resorts and all, though cutting back services like Kids Clubs diminished that a bit for me, but having movie nights, boat parades etc are great.

If you ask me, can I have a week at DL or WDW I will pick WDW every time, but if you say I have 3 days at either, I am going DL(or Uni Orlando!).

lazyboy97o

The Disneyland Monorail is counted as an attraction because it is run by the Attractions team that runs all of the other attractions. It was built as a ride and continues to be operated as such.

Shouldigo12

“Wow, it’s so expensive”... usually coming from someone who has never traveled.

Go book a trip to Paris, stay in hotels, arrange transportation, all of the stuff to do, food, if you rent a car prepare yourself for 5 dollar a gallon gas, 6-10 euro tolls every 39 feet.

it adds up, fast.

disney isn’t the cheapest trip in the world but it’s an incredibly efficient package and experience laid out for you.
Very true. Just for kicks I like to plan out vacations. And I mean full on planning, doing everything from researching the weather to rough itineraries. Once you factor in food, entertainment, transportation, and lodging, most places are about the same as Disney. And Disney definitely simplifies the process, even if some of their methods may be controversial. All-inclusive resorts and cruises aside, I can't think of anywhere else where I'm given free transportation to and within my destination, access to entertainment that can easily keep me busy for four-five days without needing to repeat anything, and have my dining all paid for excluding tips.

As far as not travelling much; I'll say that it isn't that the folks on here don't travel, it's that a lot of them (not *all*, but a lot) seem to almost exclusively go to DW. Which is fine, but I think that's lead to a lot of people thinking these price increases are exclusive to Disney and they're not.

Giss Neric

Annual Passholders who think they are so important. They use it always when they complain.

Just fill in the blanks.

I am an annual passholder,....

....I will not renew my pass.,

I have been a passholder for ___ years...

I paid a lot for my annual pass......

You are not the only one who paid for an annual pass. Threatening to cancel or not renew your pass doesn't make you that valuable.

Shouldigo12

Here's a few new things that grinds my gears:

Spending pages arguing about whether a nickname for a park counts as a real name.

Interrupting a thread that seems like it was supposed to be fairly light-hearted, or at least be a place to talk about something a little more normal so you can push your opinion on masks when there's already a thread for that.

Club Cooloholic

Very true. Just for kicks I like to plan out vacations. And I mean full on planning, doing everything from researching the weather to rough itineraries. Once you factor in food, entertainment, transportation, and lodging, most places are about the same as Disney. And Disney definitely simplifies the process, even if some of their methods may be controversial. All-inclusive resorts and cruises aside, I can't think of anywhere else where I'm given free transportation to and within my destination, access to entertainment that can easily keep me busy for four-five days without needing to repeat anything, and have my dining all paid for excluding tips.

As far as not travelling much; I'll say that it isn't that the folks on here don't travel, it's that a lot of them (not *all*, but a lot) seem to almost exclusively go to DW. Which is fine, but I think that's lead to a lot of people thinking these price increases are exclusive to Disney and they're not.
We have the same hobby, I have two trips, one to Olympic National park, the other Yellowstone that I planned out a few years ago lol.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom