Trip Report Starting the New Year Off Right, With a Tan - A DCL Trip Report

Our 6-day cruise on the Disney Fantasy started January 2nd. Before the cruise my husband and I spent a few days in Disney World celebrating New Year's Eve in Epcot. As much fun as that was, I’m going to skip that part of the trip and focus on our adventures aboard the Disney Fantasy. Just a bit of background: This was my 14th Disney cruise, 2nd Disney pandemic cruise, and 30th cruise overall. So I’ve been on my fair share of cruises. I blame my parents, who also joined us on the cruise, for giving me the Disney/ cruise/ travel bug early on in life.

So let’s start off on Day 1: Port Canaveral.
We boarded the motor coach for the port around 9:20 in the morning and before we knew it our home for the next 6 nights was in site.
tempImageM1IsRC.jpg

All in all, the ride went by pretty quickly except for one large family of 12+ on board who took their masks off as soon as the bus departed. I mean I get it, no one wants to wear masks but those were the rules. Anyway, getting off the bus we were ushered to the makeshift testing village. The whole process was orderly, we were in a line, took our tests with the representative, then were directed to a sitting area to wait for our results. By this point we had already seen a few families get the dreaded secondary screening message which was code for someone in the party tested positive. So my anxiety was already heightened. After which felt like the longest 45 minutes of my life, we got the “Clear to Sail” as did a bunch of other people in the tent at the same time. Never have I felt a sense of relief and we were on our way to check

1.jpeg

Off the bus and onto testing...

2.jpeg

Leaving testing "Clear to Sail" in hand!

Unfortunately, we did see the family of 12+ from the bus get the dreaded message and we never saw them again. So it was clear just in the short time, a ton of people were not going to be making the ship that day.

The process to check in has been completely simplified thanks to the online check in. Rather than checking in upstairs, you check in prior to security. And it is much simpler than previously. All they do now is scan your port arrival bar code and take a picture of your passports. Then it is through security and up to the waiting area, which at this time had hardly anyone waiting. Before we even had a chance to sit down and wait for our boarding number, a lovely cast member asked us if we wanted to go ahead and board. From testing through check in, we were on board in under an hour!

3.jpeg

1 (1).jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg
6.jpeg

7.jpeg

Rather than the sail away party, they now do a short show in the lobby welcoming you aboard. I really enjoyed the quick show. It doesn’t replace the sail away party but it was a nice change of pace. One difference we already picked up on by this point from our previous covid Disney cruise was with pictures. In September, we could briefly take our masks off for the professional photographers but not anymore while inside. Any pictures they take inside the ship, you have to be wearing a mask which kind of stunk but we completely understand.

Another great improvement to the cruise experience is the updated muster drill. Once you leave the welcome aboard show, you now find your muster station and then take a picture of it in the DCL navigator app. So much better than the old way of having to fight your way through a crowd when getting to and leaving your muster station.

From there, it was time for lunch ...​

twall0415

Original Poster
Really enjoying the report! We’ve got a cruise coming up in February with 17 of us (yes, we’re that annoying giant family!) and your report has been very helpful. It’s so hard to get a read on how things are currently running.
Feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions. Even with as much as I've talked about, looking back I realized how much I still left out. But honestly, who knows what might change in February.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Day 5 - Nassau

I woke up just as we were pulling into the Nassau harbor and one ship was already in port today, the Brilliance of the Seas and surrounded by beautiful sky.
View attachment 614786

Apparently it must have been a safety training day but both the Fantasy and the Brilliance were both practicing their drills. Multiple times throughout the early morning we heard both sips testing alarms, assembling crew, and other drills. So some pretty cool things to see and witness like them practicing the fire hoses on the bow of the Brilliance.

View attachment 614787
On today’s port adventure, we were going to Blue Lagoon Island which included beach chairs, umbrellas, some drinks, and a full lunch. So we were off the ship and onboard our boat to the island pretty early on. It was about a 30 minute boat ride to the beach.

View attachment 614788

The beach was nice but still felt a little small and was right next to where the boats dock to drop people off in the day. The beach attendants were superb and were constantly checking on us to see if we needed anything. We happened to be on the adult tour which kept us separated from the large families. They had a separate beach just for the adults which was also nice.
View attachment 614790
View attachment 614791
View attachment 614792

The island had a few extras that you could pay to do like a dolphin encounter and some other small things but we were just content with our beach chairs and the sun. After about 5 hours (and no sunburns I might add), it was time to go back to the ship
View attachment 614793
View attachment 614794

While Nassau isn't my favorite port, we always find something fun to do and made the best of it. As nice as the workers were, I'm still not sure if I would do this port adventure again. The price was a little high for a beach day with lunch and some drinks, but we still had a great time and I don't regret doing it. If the island was a bit more spaced out and the beach not facing the dock I think it would have been better.

Up Next: Some more trivia, dinner, and fireworks!

Blue Lagoon dolphin swim is OFF THE CHARTS.. worth it for that.. plus you get to hang out at the beach afterwards. Where's the video of climbing on the inflatables? :)

RememberWhen

Feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions. Even with as much as I've talked about, looking back I realized how much I still left out. But honestly, who knows what might change in February.
Oh! My sister and her family are doing the Blue Lagoon beach day. What was the lunch like? She’s a vegetarian, but her husband isn’t. And one of her kids has a nut allergy. I think pecans and walnuts (which don’t seem likely to pop up in most tropical food options). Think the veggie options will be ok?
And we’re hoping to do the rainforest room and Remy for the adults. We keep teasing my mom that bathing suits aren’t allowed in the rainforest room and she’s truly not sure if we’re joking. My sisters and I have fun with her.

cfry06

Really enjoying your report! We were on the Fantasy the week after Thanksgiving and had the best time. We are Platinum cruisers, and this was our 1st post pandemic cruise. We were a bit nervous, but actually enjoyed a lot of the modifications. We thought we were lucky to sail with only 1600 - can’t imagine 1080! What a dream to have that empty of a ship.

Feel terrible about the Entertainment crew being hit so hard with this last wave (and so many others). Hopefully we start to pull out of this soon.

Love all of your pictures. I look forward to reading about your last night, and hopefully more cruise reports in the future!

twall0415

Original Poster
Oh! My sister and her family are doing the Blue Lagoon beach day. What was the lunch like? She’s a vegetarian, but her husband isn’t. And one of her kids has a nut allergy. I think pecans and walnuts (which don’t seem likely to pop up in most tropical food options). Think the veggie options will be ok?
And we’re hoping to do the rainforest room and Remy for the adults. We keep teasing my mom that bathing suits aren’t allowed in the rainforest room and she’s truly not sure if we’re joking. My sisters and I have fun with her.
She should have no problem with the lunch. They had a couple of choices like fish &chips, grilled chicken, and a couple others which all included salad, corn, and plantains.

Check the hours of the spa on day one and go right there once they open to make your rainforest room reservation. The good times fill up pretty quickly. And that story is too funny and sounds like something I would have done to my family haha.

RememberWhen

She should have no problem with the lunch. They had a couple of choices like fish &chips, grilled chicken, and a couple others which all included salad, corn, and plantains.

Check the hours of the spa on day one and go right there once they open to make your rainforest room reservation. The good times fill up pretty quickly. And that story is too funny and sounds like something I would have done to my family haha.
We’re actually sailing concierge (original trip planned was longer, so with the fcc the cost kind of evened out) so I’m hoping the concierge team will help us with the rainforest room. But we’re planning to be on the ship as early as possible, so if they can’t help we’ll make sure to be on top of the spa hours. Thanks for the help!

twall0415

Original Poster
Day 6 - Continued

After getting most of our gear packed up, we spent a few minutes out on the balcony listening to the melody of the ships horn as we pulled away from Castaway Cay.
IMG_4577.jpeg

Before dinner, we decided to skip the showing of Believe to later find out it was heavily modified due to Covid staffing issues for the cast of the show. We did make it to the last trivia 2000’s music trivia. It was our last shot and everything riding on this moment.
IMG_1111.jpeg

Unfortunately, we missed one question. So no Mickey Medallion for this trip. Maybe next time. Now it was time for dinner at Animator’s Palate and one of my favorite events of dinner. The night where they animate your drawings on the screen.

IMG_4593.jpeg

IMG_4595.jpeg

After dinner, we went back to the room and finished packing the last little bit and put our bags out so they can be taken away. Also one of my favorite towel animals of the trip, a little ship. I don’t know why it’s my favorite but it is.
IMG_4602.jpeg

We decided last minute to see the final adult only performance in the Tube. The venue was pretty much empty when we got there and only a few people showed up after us. So we had our pick of where to sit.
IMG_1118.jpeg

IMG_1122.jpeg

IMG_4607.jpeg
It was the juggling of Charles Peachock, someone very familiar with Disney Cruise. I think I have seen him on about 2 or 3 other ships and this show was no exception. Sill amazing. And I also want to say the bartenders did a great job tonight (and every other night of the trip). They went above and beyond the entire voyage providing some of the best drink service I've had.

Once we got back to the room, I noticed something outside in the distance.
IMG_1127.jpeg

That blurry picture might be hard to make out, but it was the Disney Dream. So talk about good timing. A nice little something to end the last night of the cruise.

twall0415

Original Poster
Day 7- Homeward Bound

Like all good things, our trip was finally over and it was time to get back to reality. It was a relatively smooth ride back into the port and one of the rare times I didn’t wake up while we were docking.

IMG_1136.jpeg

IMG_1140.jpeg

IMG_4615.jpeg

We got ready, grabbed our day bags, and headed out to Animators Palate for our final breakfast. Before we knew it, we were off the ship and on our way to the airport. From leaving breakfast to getting through customs and onto the bus, it only took 15 minutes.

IMG_4617.jpeg

One final view of the ship(and our room) and we were on our way to the airport. Our flight wasn’t until 4, so we made our home in the Delta lounge for a few hours.
IMG_4619.jpeg

We finally made it home a few hours later ... ready for our next adventures. So for us it's back to Alaska in May (on RCL's Quantum of the Seas) and then the Disney Wish in September with a few trips to Disney World in-between. So 2022 is going to be a full one.

IMG_4627.jpeg

Thanks everyone who followed along! I hope you enjoyed this trip report. Feel free to ask me any questions about this trip or any other trips too. Traveling is one of my favorite things to do and I wound up getting a ton of joy out of doing this!

cgersic

Thanks for the great report! I am not a cruiser, went once and it's just not my thing, but I absolutely LOVE reading Disney Cruise trip reports!

erstwo

Thanks for sharing your trip! Is that 'projecting your drawings on the screen' something they added to Animator's Palate? I think I was on Fantasy the 'maiden voyage' year.......or maybe that was the Dream.......I haven't been on a ship in years (clearly!) - but I have no memory of this and I think it would be pretty cool! Again, thank you for sharing!!

twall0415

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your trip! Is that 'projecting your drawings on the screen' something they added to Animator's Palate? I think I was on Fantasy the 'maiden voyage' year.......or maybe that was the Dream.......I haven't been on a ship in years (clearly!) - but I have no memory of this and I think it would be pretty cool! Again, thank you for sharing!!
I think this has always been apart of the Fantasy sailings. I remember it during Christmas 2013. I don't think they have ever done it on the Dream but I could be mistaken.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom