Star Wars Weekends 2014

jlsHouston

Now, see, this is why I prefere the old practice of starting a new "news" thread when something like this is announced; because I would rather know right away that it is new information instead of just more pages of discussion on this now-17-page-long threa that was started many moons ago. I am not in the practice of opening every thread every day to see if the 15th page contains new useful information.

And it likely would have had a different title, such as "Full Guest List for SW Weekends 2014 Announced;" which is a more clear description of the information contained in it than "Star Wars Weekends 2014 dates announced."

So, while I understand the idea of keeping related info together in one thread, I think it is better to start a new thread when news happens. I could then scan the headlines (thread titles and dates) and decide if it is worth opening, without scanning pages and pages to find the actual news among discussion.

Just my thoughts.

It is also an announcement on the news page. When I don't want to scan threads for pages, I look on the announcement page.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Now, see, this is why I prefere the old practice of starting a new "news" thread when something like this is announced; because I would rather know right away that it is new information instead of just more pages of discussion on this now-17-page-long threa that was started many moons ago. I am not in the practice of opening every thread every day to see if the 15th page contains new useful information.

And it likely would have had a different title, such as "Full Guest List for SW Weekends 2014 Announced;" which is a more clear description of the information contained in it than "Star Wars Weekends 2014 dates announced."

So, while I understand the idea of keeping related info together in one thread, I think it is better to start a new thread when news happens. I could then scan the headlines (thread titles and dates) and decide if it is worth opening, without scanning pages and pages to find the actual news among discussion.

Just my thoughts.
You mean like this...;)

http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/star...y-line-up-for-the-2014-star-wars-weekends.htm

Hyperspace Hoopla

Can someone who's done the D-Tech before help me out? I was thinking of having my 6 year old made into a Stormtrooper. Is this something an average 6 year old can sit still for, or do you need to remain motionless for a really long time?

Can you play with the figure, or put the helmet on/off, or is it the kind of thing that goes on the mantle?

Thanks in advance.

lebeau

Just my thoughts.

Totally agree. When threads go on for weeks with nonsense, you stop tracking them. And then some useful news actually gets posted and you miss it because you assume people are still just bickering over something silly or going on for pages and pages about who knows what.

lebeau

I signed up too. I thought it was $ 100 bucks well spent for 2 special seatings and desserts. The dessert party for wishes is like 25 or 30 bucks. This gets you the parade and the firework special.

I don't know about money well spent. We'll have to see. I am against this sort of thing in principle. But compared to the SW character meals, this is a steal.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Am I the only one who missed the fact that they're moving Darth's Mall from behind ToT to Sound Stage 1 - over near Pixar Place?
I noticed that as well and I am kind of curious as to why. It has been in that location before and it worked fine, but having that element on the other side of the park did seem to disperse the crowds a little better.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
That's helpful if you follow all the headlines. I miss those more often than not because I go straight to the forums.
The forums are a bit tricky to use as a way to stay up to date with everything, as threads often contain information that is new, but the title does not change. You really have to read through everything if you plan to use the forum in that way. I try to make it very easy for people to see the latest news either on the homepage or at http://www.wdwmagic.com/news.htm

Hyperspace Hoopla

I noticed that as well and I am kind of curious as to why. It has been in that location before and it worked fine, but having that element on the other side of the park did seem to disperse the crowds a little better.

Yeah - I mean, that's right in the middle of where the bad guy M&G's are, right?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Yeah - I mean, that's right in the middle of where the bad guy M&G's are, right?
Pretty much.

Sound stage one was the first place they moved the SWW merchandise to in 2006. (give or take) It was a ginormous improvement over having it in Tatoine Traders where the lines would exceed 4 hours for merchandise. It stayed there for a few years and then moved behind ToT around the time TSMM was under construction.

The big tent behind ToT seemed to be the best of the three locations, so no idea why it is changing again.

Nitrokoff

Really? Did I "bash" European cultures, or make a statement about what I believe to be normal in some cultures? Did you even read my post, or the post I replied to?

That's what bashing is. Making uneducated statements about one's beliefs. Is it America bashing when someone mentions that Americans love buffets? A few of my Euro friends have made comments about how our food is delicious but the portions are ridiculous.

JohnD

Well, info about the celebritys or the Feel the Force Premium Package wasn't yet on the WDWMagic News Feed (although Master Yoda had already shared the celebreties on this thread. understand WDWMagic staff can't be active 24/7.) I shared info myself about the Premium Package on this thread as soon as I discovered it. Apparently, it was released late last night and I was already online. So. . .

Cesar R M

Really? Did I "bash" European cultures, or make a statement about what I believe to be normal in some cultures? Did you even read my post, or the post I replied to?
I did,
Did you even read the context of my reply?
You're tossing the "what is normal in some cultures". That is stereotyping at its best.

I dont think Americans like to be targeted for stereotyping either. I sure as hell do not like being called a "beaner" or that I wear a hat all the time or that I'm lazy all the time just for being a Mexican.

my point is, you seem to be demanding others to dont bash your culture, at same time taking a jab at others (regardless if you think its normal or not for them)

Wow, they are really pimping the "premium" experiences. I have been knocking these, but I actually signed up for this one. I'm the only Star Wars fan in the family, so I won't be lining up for any of the SW activities. But I did want to see the parade and the fireworks. Reserved viewing spots and grub will make this an easier sell for the family. Still, that price tag! Ouch.

A shame this will happen when I wont have any possibility to see and watch :(
another year I hope!

Cesar R M

That's what bashing is. Making uneducated statements about one's beliefs. Is it America bashing when someone mentions that Americans love buffets? A few of my Euro friends have made comments about how our food is delicious but the portions are ridiculous.
Speaking of Portions.. They indeed are huge(the portions) in Houston Texas (not that I mind, I can save some food and eat leftover in the next day). Pappadeux is one of my favorite restaurants there!

lebeau

The forums are a bit tricky to use as a way to stay up to date with everything, as threads often contain information that is new, but the title does not change. You really have to read through everything if you plan to use the forum in that way. I try to make it very easy for people to see the latest news either on the homepage or at http://www.wdwmagic.com/news.htm

Thanks.

No slam on the site. This is where I go to get my news. I do need to rethink the way I use it. My old approach isn't as efficient as it used to be.

lebeau

Pretty much.

Sound stage one was the first place they moved the SWW merchandise to in 2006. (give or take) It was a ginormous improvement over having it in Tatoine Traders where the lines would exceed 4 hours for merchandise. It stayed there for a few years and then moved behind ToT around the time TSMM was under construction.

The big tent behind ToT seemed to be the best of the three locations, so no idea why it is changing again.

This is going to be my first Star Wars weekend. Will I be able to get a T-shirt without a huge wait in line. Actually, to be clear, I won't wait in line at all if that's involved. So I guess I'm asking if T-shirts are sold everywhere or just in the one location.

lebeau

I did,
Did you even read the context of my reply?
You're tossing the "what is normal in some cultures". That is stereotyping at its best.

I dont think Americans like to be targeted for stereotyping either. I sure as hell do not like being called a "beaner" or that I wear a hat all the time or that I'm lazy all the time just for being a Mexican.

my point is, you seem to be demanding others to dont bash your culture, at same time taking a jab at others (regardless if you think its normal or not for them)

A shame this will happen when I wont have any possibility to see and watch :(
another year I hope!

I have a feeling these upcharges are here to stay. I think they are going to keep adding them until we all choke on them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom