Star Wars: Rogue One

21stamps

Apparently, members of the alt-right are trying to organize a boycott of this because it's "anti-white, anti-man". Good luck with that, fellas. As someone said elsewhere, 2016 has been a crap year for everyone BUT The Mouse.
Please don't use the word "right" in that description. They aren't part of the "right", they're just a small group of nutjobs.

Moving on,

I just stopped by to say-- I'm excited!!!! We drew a lightsaber on our calendar this morning. I still have not purchased tickets but will do that today. We don't go to the midnight showing so I'm thinking I'll be fine.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
There's an interesting nuance in that dynamic that I think a lot of people fail to recognize. There IS a legitimate strain of diversity-just-for-diversity's sake in Hollywood but I think Disney has done a masterful job of appealing to all demographics without pandering. See Ghostbusters for an example of the wrong way to do this kind of thing. See Moana and The Force Awakens for the right way. Moana and The Force Awakens worked not because they had female leads but because Moana (the character) and Rey were freaking awesome.

People say "alt-right" without knowing what it even means.

People aren't stupid everyone knows it's the keys you press to restart Windows. ;)

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Screenshot_2016-12-11-09-25-36.png

One of the few "Hollywood" reviews I respect since Kevin Smith is a fellow nerd. I still think it's unfair to compare any of the stand alone movies to the saga. Nevertheless, I am super excited to see it and am very pleased to hear that the reviews are glowing.

21stamps

Waited too long to buy our tickets, no good seats left at 4 theatres near me. We are going Friday, not Thursday night.

Do you guys think we're better off going to a general seating theater, or should I just buy reserved seating that isn't very good?

WhatJaneSays

Waited too long to buy our tickets, no good seats left at 4 theatres near me. We are going Friday, not Thursday night.

Do you guys think we're better off going to a general seating theater, or should I just buy reserved seating that isn't very good?
Personally I'd go general and plan to arrive early, 1-2 hours depending on your experience with lines at that theater.

I'd rather have a chance at good/great seats rather than guaranteed bad/mediocre seats.

21stamps

Personally I'd go general and plan to arrive early, 1-2 hours depending on your experience with lines at that theater.

I'd rather have a chance at good/great seats rather than guaranteed bad/mediocre seats.
Thank you. I'm going to expand my search a bit. All showings are 8:20pm or later...I'm afraid if we arrive somewhere too early that my son may end up falling asleep before the movie starts..or at the very least we will have to get up to use the restroom and lose our seats.lol. I'll probably try to get him to take a nap after school either way though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Wow that review got me really psyched. I don't think any movie will top Empire for me but That's a personal bias. I think the military aspect of it is going to give it the darkness that most of us wished AOTC and ROTS had. I also don't see a "kiddie" element to this movie which I think is something ANH and TESB didn't have either. All in all, I'm super excited

Jahona

I'm avoiding as much "reviews" and comments online this week till I see it. I don't want to get to get more hyped up for this movie then I already am. Got my tickets for Thursday night and ready to go.

tk924

I have a feeling that RO will be a much better film than TFA (ANH 2.0).
Not in terms of box office numbers, but in the story.
I enjoyed watching TFA, but it was a bit of a let down as the story had already been told.
RO should be a fun ride. Can't wait.

Princess Leia

I'm going to need to save this. My dad was asking questions about it, and saying "it's a prequel to episode IV about the Death Star plans" wasn't exactly cutting it.

I was considering wearing my Rey costume to the theater, but I'll probably go with my Vader Christmas sweater instead. I don't exactly feel like arguing with 'true fans' that 'Yes, I know Rey isn't in this movie, yes I know it's set before A New Hope'. :hungover:

21stamps

I'm going to need to save this. My dad was asking questions about it, and saying "it's a prequel to episode IV about the Death Star plans" wasn't exactly cutting it.

I was considering wearing my Rey costume to the theater, but I'll probably go with my Vader Christmas sweater instead. I don't exactly feel like arguing with 'true fans' that 'Yes, I know Rey isn't in this movie, yes I know it's set before A New Hope'. :hungover:
My son is wearing his Vader Ugly Christmas Sweater! I'm wearing my Death Star sweatshirt.

What would you do with my dilemma? Purchase bad seats or just arrive 45 minutes early to a general seating theater? I'm starting to get worried.

Princess Leia

My son is wearing his Vader Ugly Christmas Sweater! I'm wearing my Death Star sweatshirt.

What would you do with my dilemma? Purchase bad seats or just arrive 45 minutes early to a general seating theater? I'm starting to get worried.
First and foremost, I want to know what kind of a movie theater you're going to that has reserved seating??? The only things I've had to reserve seating for have been sports venues and theater productions (like Phantom) I usually go to Cinemark theaters, and have a pretty decent time. I highly suggest getting there early. When I saw The Force Awakens last year, 3 days after it premiered, I didn't get there until a few minutes before the movie started, and ended up in the 3rd row. "Never again!" I said, not knowing that I would be in the first row when I saw Deadpool in February.

I'm planning on going Friday or Saturday (at a local Cinemark), and buying my tickets in advance (once I figure out my dad's schedule, since he'll want to go). We'll probably get there at least 15 minutes early (though I think the latest would be 20 minutes lol). I live in a university town, and most of the students should be gone by Saturday afternoon, so there shouldn't be a huge wait at the theater (though again, I have learned my lesson after TFA and Deadpool). I think it all depends on what theater you go to, and what crowds are usually like for opening day movies. I fully expect theaters to have several screens reserved for Rogue One, so it should be easier to pick a time that works best for you.

Looking back on your other posts, I think you should be okay going into Rogue One without any prior Star Wars knowledge (I think). Sort of like how Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them can stand on it's own without Harry Potter, Rogue One should be able to stand on it's own. Before you ask- the sequel to Rogue One is called Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. It came out in 1977 ;) This is probably going to be the only movie with these characters (because I fully expect 75% of them to die before the end).

In terms of the watching order (idk if you've started yet), I'd simply just watched IV, V, VI, and VII. If you want, check out the prequels for Young!Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson & Ewan McGregor doing a pretty decent job with what they're handed, Jar Jar Binks- the worst Star Wars character ever, and Darth Maul- one of the coolest villains designed who unfortunately was not given a lot to do. I don't remember anything from the prequels being mentioned in The Force Awakens (episode VII), so you probably could be okay skipping them.

(This turned out to be a lot longer than I expected, please let me know if you have questions)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
First and foremost, I want to know what kind of a movie theater you're going to that has reserved seating??? The only things I've had to reserve seating for have been sports venues and theater productions (like Phantom) I usually go to Cinemark theaters, and have a pretty decent time. I highly suggest getting there early. When I saw The Force Awakens last year, 3 days after it premiered, I didn't get there until a few minutes before the movie started, and ended up in the 3rd row. "Never again!" I said, not knowing that I would be in the first row when I saw Deadpool in February.

I'm planning on going Friday or Saturday (at a local Cinemark), and buying my tickets in advance (once I figure out my dad's schedule, since he'll want to go). We'll probably get there at least 15 minutes early (though I think the latest would be 20 minutes lol). I live in a university town, and most of the students should be gone by Saturday afternoon, so there shouldn't be a huge wait at the theater (though again, I have learned my lesson after TFA and Deadpool). I think it all depends on what theater you go to, and what crowds are usually like for opening day movies. I fully expect theaters to have several screens reserved for Rogue One, so it should be easier to pick a time that works best for you.

Looking back on your other posts, I think you should be okay going into Rogue One without any prior Star Wars knowledge (I think). Sort of like how Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them can stand on it's own without Harry Potter, Rogue One should be able to stand on it's own. Before you ask- the sequel to Rogue One is called Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope. It came out in 1977 ;) This is probably going to be the only movie with these characters (because I fully expect 75% of them to die before the end).

In terms of the watching order (idk if you've started yet), I'd simply just watched IV, V, VI, and VII. If you want, check out the prequels for Young!Natalie Portman, Liam Neeson & Ewan McGregor doing a pretty decent job with what they're handed, Jar Jar Binks- the worst Star Wars character ever, and Darth Maul- one of the coolest villains designed who unfortunately was not given a lot to do. I don't remember anything from the prequels being mentioned in The Force Awakens (episode VII), so you probably could be okay skipping them.

(This turned out to be a lot longer than I expected, please let me know if you have questions)
It has become common place here in Jacksonville Florida. I can't think of a single major theater here in Jacksonville that does not do this for their main theaters showing the first run blockbusters. Some are doing it for every showing in every theater.

Personally, I love reserved seating. Prior to it you would have to arrive hours in advance to ensure that your party of 4 was not stuck in 4 different seats in the first 2 rows. Now I can roll up just 1/2 an hour early, leisurely get my $21 bucket of popcorn and gallon of Coke, and then plop down in the best seats in the house.

Princess Leia

It has become common place here in Jacksonville Florida. I can't think of a single major theater here in Jacksonville that does not do this for their main theaters showing the first run blockbusters. Some are doing it for every showing in every theater.

Personally, I love reserved seating. Prior to it you would have to arrive hours in advance to ensure that your party of 4 was not stuck in 4 different seats in the first 2 rows. Now I can roll up just 1/2 an hour early, leisurely get my $21 bucket of popcorn and gallon of Coke, and then plop down in the best seats in the house.
Wow. Okay, the seating thing does sound nice, I just didn't know it was a thing.
Second- the cost of popcorn sounds frightening. I'm used to paying between $5.75-$10.50 for a ticket alone, and I think the popcorn bucket cost in the area is usually somewhere around $10.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wow. Okay, the seating thing does sound nice, I just didn't know it was a thing.
Second- the cost of popcorn sounds frightening. I'm used to paying between $5.75-$10.50 for a ticket alone, and I think the popcorn bucket cost in the area is usually somewhere around $10.
Our normal order at my local AMC is the #2 combo. This consists of a large popcorn and 2 large drinks for roughly $21.

If I so choose, I can also enjoy a cocktail at the newly installed MacGuffin's for about $12.

Princess Leia

Our normal order at my local AMC is the #2 combo. This consists of a large popcorn and 2 large drinks for roughly $21.

If I so choose, I can also enjoy a cocktail at the newly installed MacGuffin's for about $12.
Got it. That actually makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for clearing that up :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom