Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

yensidtlaw1969

You got both of them right, although DLR expansion can go farther north than you've highlighted (which will require some demolition). Neither land was designed for expansions to go into the elevated terrain sections intended to hide the area.
So you're saying we shouldn't expect to see development of the area circled in blue?
DHS SWGE Expansion Pad Map.jpg

skiir97

Am I the only one who is thinking they should just announce a 2 week closure of the ride so they can attempt to solve all the problems? Yah it's gonna screw over some people who planned vacations but it's not much different than a planned refurb (and 2 weeks worth of angry people is better than the current situation).

SoFloMagic

Am I the only one who is thinking they should just announce a 2 week closure of the ride so they can attempt to solve all the problems? Yah it's gonna screw over some people who planned vacations but it's not much different than a planned refurb (and 2 weeks worth of angry people is better than the current situation).
Why would they close it? Thousands of guests are riding it daily at DHS and love it

A Noble Fish

You got both of them right, although DLR expansion can go farther north than you've highlighted (which will require some demolition). Neither land was designed for expansions to go into the elevated terrain sections intended to hide the area.
Interesting, I didn't realize that about the forest area. Thanks for all your info!

To me, however, it seems unlikely that Disneyland will be getting a clone at the same time unless what you are suggesting is that it won't be for a long time. Not knocking on the resort, just from a business/consumer perspective I'm scared for WDW's future investment after the overdue 50th wave (which BTW is fabulous).
  • Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland has not reached the performance of its sister in Hollywood Studios
  • Disneyland park is loaded to the brim with rides
  • Mickey is coming in 2022 already.
  • A Tomorrowland-redo perhaps including a variation of TRON on the way after all that
  • DCA is also getting tremendous help with its Marvel Land Phase 1 & 2, and the Coco ride on the way after that.
  • The resort has long operational hours, leading to high input of people through queues.
HWS is still in dire need of capacity like the other WDW parks, and the swamps' shorter operational hours really exasperate queues there. Sure, many of Orlando's rides have a higher capacity, but it is negligible when the parks have such a low ride count to begin with and higher attendance. Orlando's walkthroughs and other attractions cannot contribute fully for the difference even with the current expansions. WDW needs far more work even as it is significantly more profitable. I don't understand how it's even an option at the moment to expand Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge. I mean even when EPCOT is done with its overhaul it will only have 6 e-ticket rides. Disneyland at the same time will have at least 11 e-tickets (not including jungle or the subs, or TRON, or the trillion dark rides). Basically WDW should be getting over double the budget as Disneyland for rides, but it still doesn't appear to be happening, and I can't comprehend why.

So Orlando gets this by 2028 (maybe a new park gets announced by then, not including redos)
  • Mary Poppins B-ticket (2022?)
  • Dinoland C-ticket Coaster (2023?)
  • Brazil without a ride (canceled?)
  • Figment/Inside Out E-ticket (2024?)
  • Coco D/E-ticket (2025?)
  • Throw in another ride for good measure--a D-ticket Muppets ride would be nice :confused: (2026?)
  • Galaxy's Edge E-ticket (2028?)
And Disneyland gets this by 2028 (does not include redos)
  • Avengers E-ticket (2022?)
  • Mickey Ride E-ticket (2022)
  • Coco D/E-ticket (2023?)
  • TRON variation E-ticket (2024?)
  • Throw in at least another one or two rides
This worries me a lot. I think Disney obviously is starting to get Star Wars now, and that people come to great rides, so I'm sure there are going to be more rides, but this worries me a lot. DCA had its transformation already and now will work in specific areas at a time. I'm not worried about Disneyland Resort's future, but for the swamps. Honestly, I bet a 5th gate is happening especially if this is actually the plan which means the other parks will still need work by then. They'll all be awesome come 2021, but they'll still be needing more to help current crowds and future crowds alike.

We are entering an era of theme parks where there will not be any poor theme parks anymore. There are exceptional ones, but practically all of them will be solid. Rides, theming, food, etc. have all improved with each new expansion across the globe. The main issue going forward will be crowd-sizes, and since Disney World is very touristy, as long as the economy does well it will do the best, and suffer on that guest experience front.

I really hope Orlando continues near its current pace going forward, if not with new lands at least with new rides. 7 e-tickets over 4.5 years is the current pace. How about an E-ticket every 3-4 years instead of nearly 30 years like in the MK? I'm really hoping the new ride amount this decade gets added to too because that's pretty slim considering the rising crowds and costs, and the inevitable recession that will can some rides at some point.

WDW Pro

Interesting, I didn't realize that about the forest area. Thanks for all your info!

To me, however, it seems unlikely that Disneyland will be getting a clone at the same time unless what you are suggesting is that it won't be for a long time. Not knocking on the resort, just from a business/consumer perspective I'm scared for WDW's future investment after the overdue 50th wave (which BTW is fabulous).
  • Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland has not reached the performance of its sister in Hollywood Studios
  • Disneyland park is loaded to the brim with rides
  • Mickey is coming in 2022 already.
  • A Tomorrowland-redo perhaps including a variation of TRON on the way after all that
  • DCA is also getting tremendous help with its Marvel Land Phase 1 & 2, and the Coco ride on the way after that.
  • The resort has long operational hours, leading to high input of people through queues.

DLR attendance has been low, and there is an argument that a significant thrill ride (i.e. intense roller coaster) would be a solid solution. That's where the pitch is coming from within the company for a Galaxy's Edge expansion.

HWS is still in dire need of capacity like the other WDW parks, and the swamps' shorter operational hours really exasperate queues there. Sure, many of Orlando's rides have a higher capacity, but it is negligible when the parks have such a low ride count to begin with and higher attendance. Orlando's walkthroughs and other attractions cannot contribute fully for the difference even with the current expansions. WDW needs far more work even as it is significantly more profitable. I don't understand how it's even an option at the moment to expand Disneyland's Galaxy's Edge. I mean even when EPCOT is done with its overhaul it will only have 6 e-ticket rides. Disneyland at the same time will have at least 11 e-tickets (not including jungle or the subs, or TRON, or the trillion dark rides). Basically WDW should be getting over double the budget as Disneyland for rides, but it still doesn't appear to be happening, and I can't comprehend why.

So Orlando gets this by 2028 (maybe a new park gets announced by then, not including redos)
  • Mary Poppins B-ticket (2022?)
  • Dinoland C-ticket Coaster (2023?)
  • Brazil without a ride (canceled?)
  • Figment/Inside Out E-ticket (2024?)
  • Coco D/E-ticket (2025?)
  • Throw in another ride for good measure--a D-ticket Muppets ride would be nice :confused: (2026?)

Dinoland Coaster is not on the horizon as far as I know. Brazil is gone. Disney would rather work with Chile or some other South American country at this point. Avatar is very unlikely to get another E-Ticket... likely C or lower. Coco may be sooner than you think.

And Disneyland gets this by 2028 (does not include redos)
  • Avengers E-ticket (2022?)
  • Mickey Ride E-ticket (2022)
  • Coco D/E-ticket (2023?)
  • TRON variation E-ticket (2024?)
  • Throw in at least another one or two rides

No variant of Tron is on the way. It requires far, far too much land.

This worries me a lot. I think Disney obviously is starting to get Star Wars now, and that people come to great rides, so I'm sure there are going to be more rides, but this worries me a lot. DCA had its transformation already and now will work in specific areas at a time. I'm not worried about Disneyland Resort's future, but for the swamps. Honestly, I bet a 5th gate is happening especially if this is actually the plan which means the other parks will still need work by then. They'll all be awesome come 2021, but they'll still be needing more to help current crowds and future crowds alike.

We are entering an era of theme parks where there will not be any poor theme parks anymore. There are exceptional ones, but practically all of them will be solid. Rides, theming, food, etc. have all improved with each new expansion across the globe. The main issue going forward will be crowd-sizes, and since Disney World is very touristy, as long as the economy does well it will do the best, and suffer on that guest experience front.

I really hope Orlando continues near its current pace going forward, if not with new lands at least with new rides. 7 e-tickets over 4.5 years is the current pace. How about an E-ticket every 3-4 years instead of nearly 30 years like in the MK? I'm really hoping the new ride amount this decade gets added to too because that's pretty slim considering the rising crowds and costs, and the inevitable recession that will can some rides at some point.

Theme parks will continue to be more and more excellent as long as technology and economies grow.[/quote][/QUOTE]

UNCgolf

Dinoland Coaster is not on the horizon as far as I know. Brazil is gone. Disney would rather work with Chile or some other South American country at this point. Avatar is very unlikely to get another E-Ticket... likely C or lower. Coco may be sooner than you think.

How can they build a Coco D/E ticket? I've asked this before but never really got an answer -- wouldn't it require a huge overhaul of the entire Mexico pavilion just to have room for a queue? It doesn't seem like there's any room next to the pavilion because it's pretty close to the Odyssey building and then Test Track.

I guess they could tear down the margarita stand and build a queue there?

I also don't see how they could change that boat ride into a D/E ticket period -- I suppose Frozen Ever After is considered a D ticket (I don't think it's very good), though, and they could do something similar to that.

WDW Pro

How can they build a Coco D/E ticket? I've asked this before but never really got an answer -- wouldn't it require a huge overhaul of the entire Mexico pavilion just to have room for a queue? It doesn't seem like there's any room next to the pavilion because it's pretty close to the Odyssey building and then Test Track.

I guess they could tear down the margarita stand and build a queue there?

I also don't see how they could change that boat ride into a D/E ticket period -- I suppose Frozen Ever After is considered a D ticket (I don't think it's very good), though, and they could do something similar to that.

Some shops would be consumed by the extended queue. There are no plans for anything other than a new overlay. This would be exactly as Maelstrom was changed to Frozen. That's not to say that it would be cheap, but it isn't going to be something that requires new pathing for boats.

UNCgolf

Some shops would be consumed by the extended queue. There are no plans for anything other than a new overlay. This would be exactly as Maelstrom was changed to Frozen. That's not to say that it would be cheap, but it isn't going to be something that requires new pathing for boats.

I didn't think about that. They could definitely remove the shops along that side to extend the queue.

RobWDW1971

Updates time:

1) Thus far Rise of the Resistance is seen as a massive success as far as quality of experience is concerned. Thousands of people are showing up every day at 7 am and pressing Join Boarding Group like mad to try to experience the ride. Attendance at Hollywood Studios is up hugely year-to-year. So in that regard, mission accomplished (although Disneyland is a different beast).

2) Galaxy's Edge itself is not receiving the same stellar reviews and is likely to see changes over time at DHS. Food sales are lower than desired (which says something in DHS where there are few food options). Retail sales are also lower than needed. Guest interaction with Rey is not what they'd like to see either, with less participation compared to Chewbacca and Storm Troopers. And everybody from management up knows not a single guest usually knows who Vi Moradi is, and those who do don't care.

3) With The Force Awakens as a barometer, Disney is now ready to make significant changes to the Star Wars brand considering The Rise of Skywalker will end up pulling around half the capital of The Force Awakens. This continues to the downward trajectory, opposite of the Marvel brand. Star Wars merchandise continues to significantly underperform except for Original Trilogy and The Child merchandise. Jon Favreau looks to take over Lucasfilm once Kathleen Kennedy's contract is over, with Dave Filoni taking over as Lucasfilm Creative Lead. Iger has already made it known The Mandalorian is the formula going forward, and you can expect to see the Disney trilogy emphasized less and less as time goes on. This has little to do with agendas other than the Disney trilogy is proving to be less and less profitable. As a result, expect to see MUCH MORE of the Mandalorian in Galaxy's Edge by September of this year. C3P0 and R2D2 Meet and Greets are also planned, and those could be as soon as May.

4) Decisions will be made in February as to how and when expansions are to take place with Galaxy's Edge. The actual decisions may be hard to get out into the public sphere. Leaks have been very hard to get as of late, and even I have had to curtail posts to a great extent (and in so small part due to media using my posts as if they have an inside source other than reading my statements -- kudos to those who have been honest in reporting what I've said while attributing truthfully). When YouTubers and bloggers post my information as if they themselves gathered the information, it makes sources go dark.

5) Downtime for Rise of the Resistance is somewhere in the ballpark of 40%... and that's with non-stop maintenance at night to keep it running. Some of the issues are that certain vehicles repeatedly miss sensors, resulting in ride shutdowns. Elevators sometimes have issues similar to Tower of Terror, which lock down the entire ride. Basically, there are just so many technologies in the ride that have to work and can't be covered in the event of malfunction, that Rise of the Resistance represents the anti-redundancy model for attraction design.

6) Smuggler's Run continues to receive poor guest reviews, which is exacerbated by guests having long queue times at DHS to ride it. It is generally agreed that at the February meeting, Smuggler's Run will receive a go-ahead for a new replacement mission which will feature characters from The Mandalorian. Storyboards and concepts for this have already been ordered.

7) Blue Milk changes are coming in June-July. Expect the fruitiness to be toned down a bit.

8) Cameron is pushing for an expansion for Pandora at Animal Kingdom to coincide with the new films coming out. The proposed new developments would take place south of the drum circle, taking up part of cast parking. I'm told this development would be mostly indoor, with high priority to absorb large numbers of people. This option is in competition with expansions at Galaxy's Edge in both DHS and DLR, so it will be interesting to see what wins out.
So since the Mandalorian would be a senior citizen at the time of Batuu, I assume this is the first step to relax the needless time/space lock WDI created.

Parker in NYC

So since the Mandalorian would be a senior citizen at the time of Batuu, I assume this is the first step to relax the needless time/space lock WDI created.

Friends of mine who don't give a flying fig about Star Wars know and adore Baby Yoda/The Child. And they have then, in turn, watched The Mandalorian. People will sign up for a boarding pass for a meet and greet with an animatronic, I swear.

RobWDW1971

Friends of mine who don't give a flying fig about Star Wars know and adore Baby Yoda/The Child. And they have then, in turn, watched The Mandalorian. People will sign up for a boarding pass for a meet and greet with an animatronic, I swear.
They totally would - would have a line longer than MFSR (I know, I know, that’s a low bar)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom