News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Touchdown

I'm a passholder that goes at least once a week since I was 18 (over 20 years). I can promise you I spend way more money in a year at WDW that anyone staying for a week or two at concierge level, and I'm spending that money all the time, even when it's slow.

Passholders are Disney's bread and butter.

I’m only going to say this once, you might spend money all year but Disney does not care about your total spend, because their are costs associated with keeping a park open. They care about your cost per day and when you factor in the cost per day APs are always on the losing end because you aren’t spending 200-1000 for a room.

disneygeek90

I’m only going to say this once, you might spend money all year but Disney does not care about your total spend, because their are costs associated with keeping a park open. They care about your cost per day and when you factor in the cost per day APs are always on the losing end because you aren’t spending 200-1000 for a room.
AP’s also stay at hotel rooms. A lot of them do.

Touchdown

AP’s also stay at hotel rooms. A lot of them do.

Yes we do, and believe me Disney vastly prefers us to locals doing a day trip, however if they could they would take a family using hoppers over us, but I’m willing to bet we are either about or just above day guests with hoppers for 2nd most preferred guest.

Trackmaster

I'm a passholder that goes at least once a week since I was 18 (over 20 years). I can promise you I spend way more money in a year at WDW that anyone staying for a week or two at concierge level, and I'm spending that money all the time, even when it's slow.

But on a per person, per day standpoint, its undeniable that the spending per day is much higher for the tourists. Locals are great way to fill the park out and get some guaranteed revenue, but tourists can really bring the big bucks in. Its just that tourists are of limited supply, and you're more lucky to get locals to come on a regular basis. I think that locals are a bigger part of Disneyland, but for WDW, its about the tourists. Not only domestically, but people come from all across the world. Its very popular for Brazilians and South Americans too.

MiddKid

This statement is completely false and I’ve worked directly with the numbers. If you told WDW that they could have you once a week or 52 different tourists over that same time period they would take the tourists each and every time. And within those tourists there is a hierarchy of value (international tourists, domestic west vs east of the Mississippi, staying on/off property, etc). All of these groups are the bread and butter. APs are a nice way to fill in available capacity but are not the main focus of driving profit for the resort.

disneygeek90

This statement is completely false and I’ve worked directly with the numbers. If you told WDW that they could have you once a week or 52 different tourists over that same time period they would take the tourists each and every time. And within those tourists there is a hierarchy of value (international tourists, domestic west vs east of the Mississippi, staying on/off property, etc). All of these groups are the bread and butter. APs are a nice way to fill in available capacity but are not the main focus of driving profit for the resort.
To actually have an answer we would need to know the ratio of AP to non AP in a given year. For the sake of argument, let's say the ratio is exactly 1:1. In that instance, an AP would only need to spend a total of what an average non AP spent in their given trip, which really shouldn't be hard if an AP is visiting every week.

Not knowing the true spread of ticket distribution makes the argument ambiguous on both sides, but an AP at any given moment does not need to make up the money spent for 52 tourists, because there's also 52 AP's coming in the other days too.

dpfische

When did you arrive at the parking lot? Did you drive?
Left our non-Disney resort around 710am, got to the parking lot by 720ish, left our bags in the car so we could skip baggage check (went back for them later), walked to the gate (we were parked in Mickey, row 307), got in by 740am.

I overheard people talking that they got there at 5am, which is so not necessary for RoR. Our boarding group got called immediately, so we went over to RoR, waited in line for maybe 15 minutes and were off the ride before 9am. Then we had the day free to ride smugglers run twice (pilot & gunner), slinky dog dash, star tours twice, the other two toy story rides, see some shows, have a few drinks at Oga's Cantina, walk around Galaxy' Edge to admire all the INCREDIBLE details, and chill at baseline tap house to drink beers & people watch.

If I can say one thing about the whole experience: as hard as it may seem, try not to overstress or lose sleep over the boarding group process. If you know what to do and have a clock that shows the seconds, you'll be fine!

dpfische

Can you elaborate on the "from scratch" process? What EXACTLY did you do? (Going in a few weeks and my OCD is causing all types of anxiety.)
I turned off my phone at 7:50am, turned it back on at 7:55am, made sure I was not on the Wifi, opened the MDE app at 7:57am, my husband had his phone on to a clock app that had the seconds showing, then right at 8:00.00 I clicked the join boarding group, added my husband (his was the only other name on my friends and family list), and was done. Not gonna lie, when boarding group 2 popped up, I actually gasped and then we immediately walked over to RoR (we had been standing by the Star Wars Launch Bay in the long line for Toy Story Land).

disneygeek90

Can you elaborate on the "from scratch" process? What EXACTLY did you do? (Going in a few weeks and my OCD is causing all types of anxiety.)
Typically this method has been force closing the app (swiping up with an iPhone) and waiting until exactly 7:00:00, or 6:59:58 if you're feeling lucky, for a "hard reopen." Mickey fireworks etc. Once the screen loads Join Boarding Group should be red.

If I do not see a red group I'm closing quickly and going back in, but others have had success clicking "My Status" and join groups.

disneygeek90

I turned off my phone at 7:50am, turned it back on at 7:55am, made sure I was not on the Wifi, opened the MDE app at 7:57am, my husband had his phone on to a clock app that had the seconds showing, then right at 8:00.00 I clicked the join boarding group, added my husband (his was the only other name on my friends and family list), and was done. Not gonna lie, when boarding group 2 popped up, I actually gasped and then we immediately walked over to RoR (we had been standing by the Star Wars Launch Bay in the long line for Toy Story Land).
Sounds like you did the @Demarke method. Did you click "Find Out More" right at 8 from the home screen?

KevinPage

😱 😱 OMG 😱 😱 PEOPLE!!!!!!

Can we take the banal conversation of who’s better for Disney or who Disney loves more: ‘AP or Tourist’ to its own thread?!?!?! If your life hinges on what giant corporation ❤ you more, see a therapist 🤩

As a local AP I’ve never gotten my knickers in a twist and complained about “tourists” and who/why is better. Nor have I ever cared when people tried to “prove” one side or the other.

Failure to comply with this request will result in me riding Rise 100x out of pure spite (who am I kidding I’ll enjoy it every time 😜) and I’ll sick @The Mom on ya 👩‍⚖️

Last edited:

KevinPage

As a recent convert from Team Fresh to Team @Demarke, 👏🏼 you 👍🏼
A89DD5AE-2EFA-442E-8628-4228783057B4.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom