News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Rob562

I think I know this but... for daughter coming to cheer comp in a couple weeks, they get some sort of hopper ticket - I assume the “card”. To do boarding passes, still need to use app and link that card to her app? Can I also link that card to my app so she is in my party? She’s already in my party from previous trips but have not booked separately like this before.

Does she have her own standalone account that you're linked to as friends? Or does she only exist as a "managed by you" profile on your own account? (Or possibly both, which is a situation you should fix immediately)

If she wants to log in as herself to be self-sufficient, she needs her own account. Have her set that up first. Then go into your account and under her listing you fill in the email address she uses for her account.

Once she has the physical ticket card, either of you can link it to her using the serial number on the back.

If she wants to ride with friends, they'll all need to create profiles, connect to each other as friends and link their tickets. Then one of them can get a boarding group for everyone.
Alternately, if they're not linked but do all get their own group assignments, a Guest Relations CM can move them all into the same group.

And all of this is operating under the assumption your daughter and her friends are all 13 or older, the minimum age to have your own account in MDE. Otherwise an adult will have to do all of this for her.

-Rob

MGMBoy

Heading down next week and have some little fans that are eager to ride. In order to make sure we get on, what time should we get to the park? Any tips to get on?

Are you staying on property? Will you have your own transportation? You just need to make sure that all of you are past the turnstiles before 7am. We were staying at Riviera but, since Skyliner didn't open until 7:30, we drove over and parked. The second day we cut it a little close (parking around 6:40) so we left all our bags and stuff in the car to skip the bag check, ran in, got our boarding passes and then went back to the car to get our stuff. We had a few family members that took an Uber from Pop at around 6:15 and they were inside the gates by 6:40. How many of you will be traveling?

Last edited:

MGMBoy

Apologies if this has been addressed (I’ve read most but not all posts in this thread)

Has anyone had issues with missing ADRs due to their boarding group
and/or extended RotR queue delays?

I currently have an afternoon Oga’s reservation. Just wondering how it would/could be handled if my ADR falls in the middle of my BG return time.

Do I do RotR first and hope for no delays? Go to Oga’s first and rush thru it a bit? It appears I could also just do Oga’s for breakfast as well.

Since the ADR is at Oga's, I would HIGHLY suggest doing your boarding group first if possible and then heading over. I'm sure they are more sensitive to the whims of RotR than other locations would be.

Last edited:

KevinPage

Just a reminder, this thread is for following boarding groups. Anything to do with FP+ at Smugglers Run can be found at FastPass+ comes to Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run at Disney's Hollywood Studios
D98C535F-3391-49B7-A559-162BF0946DCB.gif

MGMBoy

Does she have her own standalone account that you're linked to as friends? Or does she only exist as a "managed by you" profile on your own account? (Or possibly both, which is a situation you should fix immediately)

If she wants to log in as herself to be self-sufficient, she needs her own account. Have her set that up first. Then go into your account and under her listing you fill in the email address she uses for her account.

Once she has the physical ticket card, either of you can link it to her using the serial number on the back.

If she wants to ride with friends, they'll all need to create profiles, connect to each other as friends and link their tickets. Then one of them can get a boarding group for everyone.
Alternately, if they're not linked but do all get their own group assignments, a Guest Relations CM can move them all into the same group.

And all of this is operating under the assumption your daughter and her friends are all 13 or older, the minimum age to have your own account in MDE. Otherwise an adult will have to do all of this for her.

-Rob

Quick follow-up to that is to remember, the more people you have to select for your party, the higher your BG#. A couple things we did to mitigate that:

1) Assign groups - If there are more than 6-7 of you, have blocks of 3-5 people sorted out ahead of time (i.e. guests 1-4 JUST get BG for guests 1-4, guests 5-8 JUST try to get BG for 5-8, etc).

2) Group based on MDE icons - To make it easier to find people for your BG in the app, make sure that all the people you will be selecting have the same MDE characterr icon (something more obscure like Sparky or Zero are a good bet). This is especially important if you have a lot of Friends & Family on your list and, if you have blocks of people booking like in step 1, each block can pick a separate character.

3) Try to start booking a dining ADR and make note of where your BG party show up on the guest select screen. I am 99% sure that the list when you are selecting BG is in the exact same order so it will make it easier to find everyone.

I also have a completely unverified theory that a phone that is plugged in (either to a wall outlet or battery pack) might ping more often and possibly give you a slight speed advantage. It is completely unfounded but I noticed that some people with battery packs seemed to get lower BG #'s than others so might be worth trying if you are already carrying a battery pack with you. Couldn't hurt.

disneygeek90

2) Group based on MDE icons - To make it easier to find people for your BG in the app, make sure that all the people you will be selecting have the same MDE characterr icon (something more obscure like Sparky or Zero are a good bet). This is especially important if you have a lot of Friends & Family on your list and, if you have blocks of people booking like in step 1, each block can pick a separate character.
This is a really good tip in general. I'm going to change my family to all the same random icon so I can quickly check them off instead of scrolling down and reading the names. It sounds like not a big deal but that could save several seconds.

Parker in NYC

This is new 🤔 Now we have some visibility into how many groups are missing out each day. My guess is that people were not seeing/noticing their reject push notification.

View attachment 443115

If it took Test Track a year and a half to get its act together (as best it could), I don’t see FP+ for this until Summer 2021. Or, in Disney terms, September 20th.

Twirlnhurl

I see the boarding group system remaining in place until the reliability gets above the percentage of a rides capacity that is dedicated to fastpass and the throughput nears the design capacity. Any sooner and Disney would be creating a very difficult guest recovery situation every time it goes down.

From what we've seen, there is still a ways to go before I think they'll risk committing themselves to having a set capacity at a given hour 90 days out by distributing Fastpass.

MGMBoy

I see the boarding group system remaining in place until the reliability gets above the percentage of a rides capacity that is dedicated to fastpass and the throughput nears the design capacity. Any sooner and Disney would be creating a very difficult guest recovery situation every time it goes down.

From what we've seen, there is still a ways to go before I think they'll risk committing themselves to having a set capacity at a given hour 90 days out by distributing Fastpass.

Honestly, as much as everyone complains about the Boarding Pass system, I really feel like it is, far and away, the best method they have available to them. It is basically a Fastpass system that just lets the operation tell guest when to come ride instead of the other way around. I keep hearing people say, "I would rather wait in a 4 hour line than do this system." Problem is, what if you HAVE waited 4+ hours and then everything goes down?

RobWDW1971

The problem is that almost anyone that arrives to the park 5 minutes after park opening cannot ride. And while it does work for some, the majority of guests it doesn't.
But that’s a factor of the terrible capacity. When an entire day’s worth of ridership is already taken up by a just a portion of those in the park at opening, that is just a disastrously low capacity that no line management system is going to solve.

peter11435

But that’s a factor of the terrible capacity. When an entire day’s worth of ridership is already taken up by a just a portion of those in the park at opening, that is just a disastrously low capacity that no line management system is going to solve.
Exactly. The capacity is far below the demand. Even with a traditional queue set up most guests in the park would not be able to ride. It would work for some, but for the majority of guests it wouldn’t.

SplashJacket

They could stager the BG releases. Make certain amount available per hour or maybe break it down in 25% increments (BG 1-25 available at 7am then 26-50 at 11am,etc)

In other words, make it a lottery and thus someone who goes for one day in their entire life cannot ride if they do not get lucky.

Having it all release in the morning guarantees that if you want to ride it you can ride it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom