News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

gerarar

Premium Member
Wow first time on both huh.
Did you ride FoP more than once?
Yup, I visited WDW the week before Pandora opened, and the week after Happily Ever After debuted. It was tough at the time but I somehow completely avoided all spoilers about FoP other than that it was referred to as "Soarin on steroids". Was completely blown away by it and so worth the wait, standby and the 2+ years since it's been open.

And so far ridden it 3 times on different days and just currently park hopped to AK to ride it one last time.

TotallyBiased

Yup, I visited WDW the week before Pandora opened, and the week after Happily Ever After debuted. It was tough at the time but I somehow completely avoided all spoilers about FoP other than that it was referred to as "Soarin on steroids". Was completely blown away by it and so worth the wait, standby and the 2+ years since it's been open.

And so far ridden it 3 times on different days and just currently park hopped to AK to ride it one last time.

Was in the same boat last week. We hadn't been there for 4 years or so. Man what a ride FoP is. We tried to get there for opening and still hit a 110 min and 65 min queue the 2 times we rode. Well worth it though. It was the must-do ride for the wife and she wasn't disappointed. I'm not a fan of Soarin', so I was somewhat unenthusiastic for this. I was waaaaaaaay wrong. Ride is amazing. Made me a bit motion sick the first time. Popped Dramamine the 2nd time and it was better, but then that stuff knocked me out for the afternoon. LOL

We hit Rise once, FoP 2x and SR 3x. The wife preferred SR to Rise. I love em both, but very different experiences.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ah that kinda makes more sense. But then that just exposes Disney's lack of good IT structure and capabilities. The databases holding the data should be able to handle such influx of data coming into it, no matter the amount per minute per second.

I'm just a Junior in CompSci, but databases shouldn't be indexed and modeled after a heap structure to be able to handle such huge influxes of data and queries, or what they call OLAP systems. If it gets to a point where data is lost in the process, it's bad db design and needs to be changed by the DBA's or engineers. Data integrity needs to be held across all databases and storage.

Or the problem is outside the db and if a transaction is not within time spec its discarded due to being considered a lower priority etc. lots of decisions that can be in play here. Db integrity is unlikely an issue... it can be that its not even a transactional db in the first place or it could be a decoupled system to start with...

Imagine if the “in the park..” data is just an update thrown into a message queue and handled separately from committing the application transaction to complete the gate admission. Maybe the data is considered low priority or non-guaranteed because it can get generated or updated again later by other transactions... and what if that message queue is simply dropping events to maintain its service level before those events get inserted into whatever history they use.

Point being is... none of us know their actual architecture design for these applications and systems. We should avoid armcahir qb’ing what they did wrong when we don’t even know their constraints or requirements ... let alone their implementation.

Ravenclaw78

Point being is... none of us know their actual architecture design for these applications and systems. We should avoid armcahir qb’ing what they did wrong when we don’t even know their constraints or requirements ... let alone their implementation.

Isn't Armchair Imagineering the occupation of the entire membership of the WDWMaqic boards?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Earlier Opening Times announced...

1577476360313.png

Wanted to share my experience of getting on ROTR today

5.00am left hotel room
5.15am got to car park
5.20am thru security
5.31am gates open
5.36am in queue on Hollywood boulevard

Then at 6am we were one of the many not recognised and had to queue to get a boarding pass - it was absolute chaos - Disney really needs to get its act together

My advice to anyone trying tomorrow would be to just queue up by a cast member guest experience blue shirt person before 6am just in case

We got BG 102 and were called at 5.40pm, little did we realise how lucky we were to get 102 as back ups started at 107 & 109 seems to be it today

In the queue for the ride it went down for 30/45 mins and we got a photo op with Chewie (and the offer of a banana)

Finished the ride and everything at 7.10pm - no spoilers but as a family who have visited Disney for the last 20 years this was the most amazing immersive experience ever - by a long way

Also special thanks to the cast member who gave us a FastPass for SR as an apology.

Finally if any of the guest relations people read this thread you all deserve a big thank you for the work you do in dealing with a lot of unhappy customers at 6am!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Well, there were no downtimes except the extended one in the morning. If they were able to start on time, it would have been a good day. Last group according to this site was 110.

1577504591997.png

Last edited:

ninjaprincesst

We went the first time on 12/15. Due to a Lyft driver that never showed up, we had to take a bus and did not get there until 5:30 we scanned in and got boarding group 51 we were able to ride a little after noon. The second time was on 12/17 we arrived at 5:00 and we scanned in and got boarding group 15 we were able to ride by the time we got back to Galaxy's Edge. Thirty minutes made a world of difference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom