News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

flynnibus

Premium Member
My first guess was the snowball effect from more FastPasses.

Yeah, but unlike any other ride... Disney gets to control the faucet on the bulk of line admissions since they control the rate and time boarding groups are opened. So if there is a rush of FPs, just delay the next boarding group a bit more.. but if you end up with TOO many FPs.. even if distributed randomly through the day.. then could become a large portion of line admissions.

I would think the better solution would be is to make sure the # of groups in line at any time is lower if the fear is how many FPs they give out if they clear the queue. Of course all of this is a balancing act... but I would think any scenario that results in people held in the queue for more than an hour after a stop should be considered 'undesirable'

Last edited:

bubbles1812

Any idea on how many boarding groups are being dumped tonight and if guest compensation is veing given?
I’d be curious too. They stopped at 82. They are not actually obligated to give anything. It very clearly states on the app and in the instructions that getting a boarding group does not guarantee a ride

Last edited:

Higginbotham587

I can’t wait to hear the continued spin about Batuu and MFSR after seeing the true excitement and FOMO about ROTR.

We’ve been repeatedly lectured that there was HUGE demand and passion for Batuu and MFSR but it was um, Dorian, uh, car sales, uh dog ate my homework, or something that was preventing us from actually seeing it.

Thrilled to see the response for ROTR vs. the creative disasters and failures of Batuu and MFSR. Better to go 1 for 3 than none at all.

Yawn. Galaxy’s Edge is a triumph. The majority of riders will rate ROTR better than FOP and only the most idiosyncratic will rate MFSR lower than NRJ. The Falcon alone makes the land probably better. But the food and drink options plus merch, Savi’s, droids makes it no contest. You can moan all you want about how you wanted an animatronic Luke whining about power converters. Turns out that a great ride is a great ride and a very very good ride is a very very good ride and the land will go down as Disney’s best addition of this build period.

And ROTR only makes the hotel seem like it probably will be a hit too. Won’t that burn people who just can’t stand that taking a creative risk with GE has paid off?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Does anyone know if ROTR will be open for EMH? How does it work if your not an onsite guest with getting a boarding pass?

Last EMH it was not included. You won’t be able to get a boarding group until you tap into the park when they open it to the public (which was before 8am last EMH).

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Does anyone know if ROTR will be open for EMH? How does it work if your not an onsite guest with getting a boarding pass?
It’s not officially part of it, which doesn’t mean that it won’t possibly open early and boarding groups will likely open up early as well. I believe last Sunday boarding groups opened up 35-40 minutes early (can’t remember exactly whether the ride did too), so I would start checking the app frequently starting about 45 minutes before posted time to open boarding group selections. Everything is fluid right now, so Extra Magic might start early and might end early. If you see a sudden influx of guests come in, it probably means they have let in regular guests and opened up selections! If you are not a hotel guest and are part of that influx, you can select a boarding group after you clear the entrance tap points and are in the park. I think they only opened it to those in the parks 10-15 minutes before letting in non-hotel guests, I would be surprised if early non-EMH entrances are shut out this Sunday.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
This.

People are lining up for the ride. Whether it is structured to get a VQ number, or, to physically fast-walk to the ride and get in the standby line, it's basically the same thing: they are lining up for the ride. And there are more people showing up than the ride can accommodate.

So, whether the line starts at the standby line, or at the tapstile, or at baggage check, or in the parking lot, or parked along the highways... it is still a line.

And unless you're in the front of the line, you don't get in. And your attempt to get in has now become a big waste of time.

So, what do you do? Well, tomorrow, you show up earlier. And if you didn't show up early enough, you show up even earlier the next day.

And several thousand people are doing the same thing to compete for the front-of-line (no matter where it starts). So you show up at 7 AM, then 6:30 AM, then 6 AM, then 5:30 AM... and so on.

All the while Disney is advertising an opening time. Which doesn't matter. Once several thousand people are being held either in the hub, or at the tapstile, or at baggage check, or in the parking lot, or parked along the highways (or circling in a giant traffic jam), well, Disney's going to let them in. Even if it's hours before posted opening.

So, there's no pain involved in showing up two hours before opening. There are enough people doing the same such they you'd only have a half hour wait before Ops freaks out about an uncontrolled mob and lets you in.

So, you show up three hours earlier. To beat everyone else. And everyone else is doing the same.

At least, the VQ is telling people that they're not getting on, so, they don't waste their time on a 10 line (unless the show up at 11 PM the night before and camp the park entrance). But the 10 hour line did have an advantage for Ops in that the pain of such a line turned people away. The very early morning race to be first loses any painful penalty if Disney opens up early for them.
I wonder if Disney would follow the same policies if nobody left the park at closing time... you know, there's a huge crowd of people who don't want to leave, so we'd better just keep the park open for "safety."

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Two hours before whatever opening they announce the night before. If it opens at 6, be there at 4 a.m.

I brought a cheap thermos with hot water (for hot chocolate and coffee), snacks, and those thin, metal space blankets for staying warm.
What, no tent and sleeping bag?

Angry Warlock

It seems like the lots have been opening around 4:30-5, does that sound accurate? I know it can and will change over the next few weeks, but even though I've kept up with every post in this thread (aside from the person I blocked, a rare honor I've only done one other time 🤣), I haven't seen a ton of answers on the lot opening time.

We'll be at DHS next Thursday, and I'm planning on using Uber or Lyft, and leaving CBR by 5:30 at the latest. 👍
I Uber'd in today and arrived at 5.20. No problem at all.

Tom Morrow

People are acting like crowd and traffic control is some new phenomena and is impossible. Contrary to popular belief, turning cars away will not turn into a disaster. It happens every summer with every large-scale music festival. Cars and people who arrive early get turned away and all is fine.
It also happens every year between Christmas and New Years. World Drive gets backed up all the way to Osceola Parkway and beyond. People get turned away. Turns out they just keep driving and they don't try and park on the side of the road to "camp" for a spot or riot.

Disney 100% has the power and resources to employ some security personnel and traffic controllers to prevent any sort of traffic jam or cars parking on the side of the road or whatever. If they were to strictly enforce a defined parking lot opening for a few days, people would get the hint.

Disney is not doing themselves or their guests any favors by allowing people to show up and park almost whenever they feel like it. They're also encouraging people to arrive earlier and earlier by doing this and flat out lying about when the park opens and opening the gates at arbitrary times. As the word of mouth spreads that this is happening, it only creates a snowball effect. "Oh, the gates opened at 7:00 today? Better make sure we arrive at 6:30." "Oh, the gates opened at 6:30 today? Better make sure we arrive at 6:00.", etc.

If you hard define when the parking lot will open, these Black Friday style campouts will cease. If they cease, then there is no reason to open the park entrance than 7:30 for an 8:00 opening.

It's funny because it's like they suddenly forgot that they completely overhauled several roads and built overpasses to re-configure the traffic pattern for optimal efficiency and capacity into and out of DHS, built a huge new entrance and exit road into and out of the parking lot, built a new parking lot toll plaza, doubled the size of the parking lot itself, built a massive new efficient bus terminal, built a new mass transit system to the park, overhauled the park entrance plaza to accommodate huge crowds, built a massive new security checkpoint, and widened the walkways throughout inside DHS - all to handle the exact type of influx of crowds ROTR is bringing. The very same crowds they wanted all along since SWGE opened in August!! They are WELL equipped to handle whatever rush of cars hits them at an official posted parking lot opening time. It's so strange to me that they finally got what they prepared for and are acting like they can't handle it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom