News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

matt9112

It's called 'pick your poison' -- Unlike the armchair operators here, they have to live in the reality of they will be held responsible for the outcomes. Managing some butthurt from customers is far better than dealing with safety issues.

Your logic defies reality. Its like saying "OMG, why did the police let those people continue to riot, why didn't they just enforce the laws?" -- Because it's not that black and white.

The dress code they act like dosent exsist in restaurants is pretty black and white. I think if they just turned cars around at gates until x time it would solve alot of this.

ToTBellHop

The dress code they act like dosent exsist in restaurants is pretty black and white. I think if they just turned cars around at gates until x time it would solve alot of this.
Do they want to? The issue isn’t that the ride can’t run more than 12 hours straight. It’s that it sporadically breaks down. Having more hours available leaves greater opportunity for it to actually be open. Most of the riders today rode before 9 am...

VaderTron

When the sheriff/police dept calls Disney management/operations at 6am or before and says "Hey, we have hundreds of cars sitting on the side of the road, with people sitting on them and on the shoulder, we don't have enough manpower to handle this, we need you to begin letting them into your park and into your parking lots now" - what is Disney supposed to say? No?
Two rent-a-cops at the airport pickup at any international airport can keep traffic moving and they have hundreds of cars coming through trying to camp out till their friends/family arrive. It's not hard.

Officers can pull up behind traffic sitting on the shoulder with lights and hit the siren. Over the bullhorn they can tell the car to move along. If an officer approaches stubborn drivers that don't want to listen there are options. They could say, "You can move your car or I can detain you and have your car towed." I guarantee you they will move. In fact I would be shocked if it took that much.

What is with people and thinking there is no way to control issues that get out of hand? I suppose they grew up with permissive parenting and think it's the only way of life?

flynnibus

Premium Member

What do restaurants have anything to do with the kind of situations we are discussing?

If you turned cars around at the gate (you know.. where there is no turnaround).. they aren't going to go home. They are just going to loiter somewhere else on property near by. So you are just spreading the problem out further.

disneygeek90

What do restaurants have anything to do with the kind of situations we are discussing?

If you turned cars around at the gate (you know.. where there is no turnaround).. they aren't going to go home. They are just going to loiter somewhere else on property near by. So you are just spreading the problem out further.
With hundreds of cars doing loops around the property at 5am, what could possibly go wrong?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Two rent-a-cops at the airport pickup at any international airport can keep traffic moving and they have hundreds of cars coming through trying to camp out till their friends/family arrive. It's not hard.

You're talking about a few hundred yards.. and where do those people go? They don't go home... they circle the airport loop causing even more traffic and congestion. There is a reason airports CHANGED people...

Officers can pull up behind traffic sitting on the shoulder with lights and hit the siren. Over the bullhorn they can tell the car to move along. If an officer approaches stubborn drivers that don't want to listen there are options. They could say, "You can move your car or I can detain you and have your car towed." I guarantee you they will move. In fact I would be shocked if it took that much.

And where does that car now go? They aren't going home.. so they loiter somewhere else.. while trying to make sure they can get back to the front as soon as the gates open. So now... you have even MORE people on property, all fighting to be in the same spot at the same time... how is that better than handling people in a controlled fashion at ONE spot?

What is with people and thinking there is no way to control issues that get out of hand? I suppose they grew up with permissive parenting and think it's the only way of life?

It's called experience.. something many chose to ignore I guess?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So you think if Disney were to post "Absolutely no one will be let into the parking lot before 6:30 AM, no exceptions", and coned off the exits into DHS, people are just gonna riot instead of going "Oh, well I guess we'll arrive at 6:30 then."?

People will try to line up to be first through the gates so they will come earlier. Same way they line up at the turnstiles.

You're trying to argue that if you tell someone they can't do it... everyone is magically going to listen to them and follow directions 100%. That's not how dealing with the public works. You will always have people trying to get an edge.

That is why you shape and INFLUENCE behavior - you can't dictate it. Well.. you can think you can, and then you deal with the consequences of reality not matching your expectations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm told some guests were held in line for 4 hours today before riding.

Now that sucks. Wonder why they are being so resistant before clearing the queue? Someone fearful of FP returns? (which I think is unwarranted.. waits will climb, but you can control the inflow.. so its managable).

Guess Disney will be handing out alot more comps today...

socalkdg

You do know people will lineup on the walkway from Boardwalk and Swan/Dolphin? So you have your empty parking lot until 6:30 am. You will still have a line of 10000 people waiting to get in just outside the gates to DHS. You also need at least 6 rent a cops since their are three ramps that flow into the Toll Plaza booth. Then anyone trying to get into parking at 7:00 AM will be backup up a few miles since you didn't let any cars in ahead of time.

flynnibus

Premium Member
thats not how it works.

cops and security guards won’t interfere unless there’s an actual altercation on private property. Or soemthing like that

They could... it's just not really practical at scale vs the alternatives that don't require this at all.

They could go through all the trouble to mark off areas to avoid pull offs, they could staff half a dozen people to drive around a shoo people away... they could hire traffic control cops to manage the bumrush of people at the same time. They could be staffed and ready for the inevitable extra traffic control needed. And make the team uneasy about the extra liabilities they are stacking up.

..or.. they could simply staff the parking booth, parking staff, and the general park property at a reasonable time before opening and handle customers as they come in.. and deal with them using the infrastructure they built for that very purpose. You manage your opening time based on a practical balance of need vs costs.

It's not a hard choice for places that manage large volumes of people. They deal with the problem on their terms... or try to wall up and hope the overflow outside of their control doesn't cause too much chaos.. and gamble.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Of all the people in all of the fandoms out there, Star Wars fans should know to be suspicious of any statements they interpret to mean opening procedures are set in stone and will not change. After all:
05C5FAF5-49DE-4DAD-BCC2-8AB0F2A6A071.jpeg

butterxcup

Forgot about this moment that happened to my group early this morning and wanted to share it cause it was a good laugh. When we were waiting to enter the room that’s before the one where you board your ride vehicles (trying to make this story as spoiler free as possible), a regular Disney maintenance man came casually strolling out of the door passing by our group and the CM that was watching over us. We all just stared as the happy maintenance man passed by us and the very intimidating CM. Once he passed we all kinda awkwardly stood there in completely silence for a moment before the CM said, ‘Just ignore the new guy and pay attention to me and the situation you all are in’. Even though he slightly ruined the atmosphere for a few seconds we all had a good laugh before moving on with our experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom