News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Mouse Trap

Don’t misinterpret this, because I think ROTR is fantastic.

But...over time...the linear storytelling will come back to bite it. Star Tours 1.0 suffered the same fate once the shiny tech wasn’t special anymore, hence why WDI and Lucasfilm randomized the sequences for 2.0.

Other attractions with linear storylines usually include enough “cocktail party” atmosphere to round out the experience. Splash, Indy, and Dinosaur are good examples.

Combined with its 18 minute time, I wonder if ROTR will eventually come to feel like Test Track 1.0, where the pre-ride video was an annoyance to be endured.

Again—ROTR looks incredible just the same.

The pre-ride experience of ROTR is a combination of storytelling, movement and effects. Can't compare it to a video.

Mouse Trap

So my friend finally just got off the ride. I asked if it was worth over 12 hours of hassle and finding diversions outside of the park to get away from crowds and running property until their time a lot came up. We always judge the ride on how long you would wait to ride again. His answer was “maybe an hour, nothing more though.”

In my book that's absolutely fantastic. I shutter at any line over 30 minutes. Sounds like ROTR is a hit!

Tom Morrow

Please people that have already ridden let's not get into a discussion that includes much about the ride, there's a thread for that. Many of us are following this one so we can try and ride for the first time and have been trying to avoid as much about the ride itself as possible.
Yes, please! I've already had way more spoiled than I wanted to through YouTube thumbnails, social media posts, and trying to figure out if and when I'll be able to ride. Please save discussion of the ride experience itself for the dedicated thread!
It’s pathetic they can’t get more than 10k ppl thru a day. 60+ yrs of experience and they design a ride w a thrc of like 1800 and get just over half that? Amazing ride, poor capacity and ops.
1800 per hour is actually about average for thrill rides in Orlando. They usually fall somewhere between 1600-2400. The issue here is not running at full capacity and having long break downs. This is Hagrid's situation from last summer all over again. The rides weren't ready and they didn't even have any sort of soft opening period to have an idea of how this situation will go.

mickEblu

So eventually do we foresee a day where the ride won’t be breaking down all the time? Or will this get better but end up somewhere like Indiana Jones or most likely worse due to the complicated ride system.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Disney should just implement a blind auction bidding system for ROTR. Highest bidders get first boarding group, lowest bidders get last boarding groups!
They’re way ahead of you come next year when the paid FP options become available when the new Genie app is released.

Wreckem

Soft opens are imperative. The parks seem to be getting too aggressive with opening dates by announcing them too soon. Universal made this same mistake last summer by opening Hagrid's before it was ready and with absolutely no soft opening period, resulting in them only now getting to normal, steady operation. This situation with Rise of the Resistance is already worse than that. I know this is only day four, but still.

Umm rise hasn’t been worse than Hagrids and Hagrids still isn’t all that reliable. It was extremely unreliable when it opened to the point Univeral could never implement their virtual queue.

There were a lot of days in June, July, and August that Hagrids was only open half the day. It would routinely open after 12pm for the first couple months before they switched to park opening and closing early.

I was there the week od July 4th and it opened at 4:30 and closed at 8:30 on a day where I and many thousands of others waited 7+ hrs because they kept saying it was going to open and then said another hour and another hour. Well before they stared giving out ruby express passes. The second week of July the ride had a major break down and was down for over 24 hrs while they allegedly waited for parts from Europe. Then later in summer early fall the ride was down a lot because of the bee issues. Even now the ride regularly closes down well before park close.

Hagrids has been open 5 months and they still haven’t managed to get it to 100% capacity. Last I heard they are running 10 of 14 trains. They are still having a lot of scheduled down times and routinely close before park close. They aren’t having as many unannounced downtime aside from delayed openings. Universal manages their queue by way over inflating wait times. So they lie just like Disney.

Hagrids, just like RotR, isn’t available for early parking opening either.

RoTR is no where near the operational failure that was Hagrids at launch. I’ll compare the experiences two and a half weeks out of opening for both. I was there at Hagrids 2.5 weeks out and I’ll be there for RoTR two and a half weeks out.

TrojanUSC

Don’t misinterpret this, because I think ROTR is fantastic.

But...over time...the linear storytelling will come back to bite it. Star Tours 1.0 suffered the same fate once the shiny tech wasn’t special anymore, hence why WDI and Lucasfilm randomized the sequences for 2.0.

Other attractions with linear storylines usually include enough “cocktail party” atmosphere to round out the experience. Splash, Indy, and Dinosaur are good examples.

Combined with its 18 minute time, I wonder if ROTR will eventually come to feel like Test Track 1.0, where the pre-ride video was an annoyance to be endured.

Again—ROTR looks incredible just the same.

Would gladly take Test Track 1.0 back over the annoyance of building cars that takes too much time. With 1.0 the 2 minute pre-show was a nuisance but was quick and easy. Plus I thought the narrative pieces of the ride as a whole made more sense. Friends still quote that version ("and that's what we call an evasive maneuver.")

RobWDW1971

There you go again.

All you care about is yourself.

AP holders are the #1 guest Disney should be trying to please. Yet you don't care about them at all so it seems disingenuous when you complain about unfairness.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, but WDW absolutely cares more about filling their thousands of hotel rooms at above market rates than grumpy AP’s.

EdnaMode

There you go again.

All you care about is yourself.

AP holders are the #1 guest Disney should be trying to please. Yet you don't care about them at all so it seems disingenuous when you complain about unfairness.

EMH isn't a published benefit of an AP, so having an AP has nothing to do with what happened today. AP's were just like every other day guests today if they didn't have a resort room. I'm an AP, and I wouldn't expect a bit of benefit from EMH unless I had a resort reservation as well.

AshaNeOmah

Yes but they can accommodate AP guests and have in the past.

they can easily have AP only days for ROTR where everyone else is shut out.

so I find it disingenuous when one guy keeps whining about unfairness to resort guests only.

Ugh, you're insufferable.

"Buses should run when they're announced to run. Parks should open when they're announced to open. Anything else is dishonest when complete trips are planned around one attraction." I'm just going to keep posting that every time you call out 'the 8 hour guy' or the 'whining, lazy, entitled resort guest'. Let's see how many times we can get it posted. We'll make a game out of it, since neither of us obviously has anything better to do.

I've been an AP holder for probably 10 of the last 15 years, by the way. I'm largely in favor of accommodating those over day guests too.

AshaNeOmah

But you aren't an AP holder right now, correct.
And you are going to be staying at a resort in a couple weeks.

So that would indicate that it's all about you and not some intrinsic fairness across the board.

"Buses should run when they're announced to run. Parks should open when they're announced to open. Anything else is dishonest when complete trips are planned around one attraction."

What's the shortest forum ban? I've never been banned from here in 11+ years of use. I might be willing to risk it for this.

Wreckem

As an out of state AP holders I expect to be treated better then non AP holders, I paid a lot more money to Disney then they did and if Disney wants me to continue doing so they need to give me a reason to. That’s how capitalism works people.

All an AP pass entitles you is as many park days as you want over the course of a 1 year period. Nothing more and nothing less. You paid $1250 or whatever to go three or more times a year. Your $1250 doesn’t trump my $650 10 day park hopper + $5000 onsite room.

This is why this line of arguments is stupid. Everyone clearly thinks they are the entitled person when Disney clearly spells it out in all their disclaimers that really no one is entitled to anything and experiences can and will vary. While everything is subject to change.

AshaNeOmah

You didn't answer the question.

Are you a current AP holder?

And are you staying at a Disney resort when you come to WDW in a couple weeks?

"Buses should run when they're announced to run. Parks should open when they're announced to open. Anything else is dishonest when complete trips are planned around one attraction."

Not currently. Most recent expired May 2018. First trip since and decided a 10 day was better for this trip. If we decide to return this summer, I'll probably be buying one. Kinda still undecided if the increased price is worthwhile with a family of four now.

Yes. 10 nights.

Now call me out for 'caring more about resort guests than AP holders" and 'being selfish', even though I never said a thing about AP holders in all my posts combined. It's a strawman that's absolutely ridiculous, much like insisting I wanted people to stroll in at park opening and get directly RotR. Never said that either.

Touchdown

But you aren't an AP holder right now, correct.
And you are going to be staying at a resort in a couple weeks.

So that would indicate that it's all about you and not some intrinsic fairness across the board.

As an out of state AP holder I disagree, I’ve paid far less a day for admission to the park, Disney is only obligated to provide me admission for a year. A hotel costs a lot more money, and nets Disney a far larger profit then an AP ticket. I feel the same about any season pass at any chain. I appreciate when they give me more benefits but don’t expect it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom