News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Epcot_Imagineer

So...then... What should Disney have done when there are thousands more people that want to ride a ride than the ride can handle?

How would any of you do things differently that would not result in people camping out or parked along a highway waiting to crash the gate at more and more ridiculously advanced wait times, which would exclude guests with children from ever riding it?
In all honesty I think they should've done EMHs and included RotR in it for the foreseeable future. Give on-property guests the benefits that they believed they were paying for.

KevinPage

This is a mess. Hopefully it dies down a little after this weekend. Not being able to queue up because you didn’t arrive BEFORE the park even opens is ridiculous. And I thought Universal’s handling of Hagrid’s has been bad. I guess the real test will be if it’s still like this after the new year.

I personally love it.

There no lines to enter parking lot, security, the park itself. It’s dark, comfortably cold/cool, the lights are in and music playing, and less people than “rope drop”.

I’ll admit there is no perfect solution to this. If this many people get to the park early to suck up all the passes, doesn’t that prove that enough people are smart enough to know what to do? Why should people who don’t get up early to get access to something be given the same benefit as those that do?

We all know Disney is never gonna say “come 3 hours early” cause then the normal early birds are gonna come even earlier, so you’d have the same problem and people coming when “Disney told them” will still be out of luck.

This is kinda one of this unwritten rules in life that you know the early bird gets the worm. Disney doesn’t want to turn thousands of people away when they can get them into the park and alleviate a crush of people on a brand new AND temperamental ride.

The amount of SATISFIED GUESTS is gonna far outweigh the DISGRUNTLED. So it’s a net win in managements eyes.

AshaNeOmah

So...then... What should Disney have done when there are thousands more people that want to ride a ride than the ride can handle?

How would any of you do things differently that would not result in people camping out or parked along a highway waiting to crash the gate at more and more ridiculously advanced wait times, which would exclude guests with children from ever riding it?

Make anyone arriving in a car turn their butt around until 2 hours before park opening. Make it known weeks ahead of time. Don't let anyone 'park' at the DHS driveway. Anyone who's been to WDW more than a few times has done the 'u-turn of shame' after taking a wrong turn somewhere.

Start bus service 90-120 minutes before official park opening, allowing all guests to arrive at roughly the same time.

Finally, on top of the VQ, offer a standby line with the restriction that waiting does not guarantee a ride. Wait at your own risk. Allow the VQ to go first (hint, a VQ just becomes a FP at this point) and take people in the standby as possible.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Resort guests using Disney transportation clearly were at a planning and execution disadvantage for both days.

How so? Did Disney take away your car? Did Disney prevent you from getting a taxi or uber? No.. none of this.

You're taking a situation where someone relies ONLY on Disney free transit and then extrapolating that to mean all resort guests were so encumbered. They weren't. That's a choice.

Everyone was equally surprised by the change in operating plans... resort guests, APs, offsite guests, etc. Everyone.

What people won't just accept is they think Resort Guests should have gotten some sort of different insight to the change and hence they are upset they didn't get it. Everyone is in that same boat. If you figured it out and wanted to get to the park, you could have.

AshaNeOmah

Wow, just wow. I can't possibly make it any clearer, and the amount of people saying it was unfair should make it very clear something was handled wrong. You two have a good day debating a topic somewhere else. I'm definitely done with this one.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In all honesty I think they should've done EMHs and included RotR in it for the foreseeable future. Give on-property guests the benefits that they believed they were paying for.
And what do you do with the five thousand guests camping out to get in when it's their turn (in addition to the thousands rope-dropping their EMH) ?

And what if the EMH people take all the spots? Won't thosd camping for five hours be angry?

flynnibus

Premium Member
I’ll admit there is no perfect solution to this. If this many people get to the park early to suck up all the passes, doesn’t that prove that enough people are smart enough to know what to do? Why should people who don’t get up early to get access to something be given the same benefit as those that do?

Well the main negative of them using this kind of option is... those same people willing to go the extra mile will continue to do so next time too. And before you know it.. Disney is fighting off the 'camping' situation, etc.. just like Black Friday. The way to combat that is with predictable reliable information. Disney sprung this trick once... but they really can't afford to keep it out there as an option. Otherwise people will just keep showing up earlier and earlier and earlier..

Disneyhead'71

Extend operating hours. Make a decision on opening time and announce it. Have a strict policy about cars lining up at the parking toll booth and enforce it by coning off the entrance to the parking lot. Have a security guard where the cones are directing folks to the Disney Springs surface lot where they have a portion of the lot set up as a holding pen that has a toilet trailer and a Coffee, Hot Chocolate, and Pastry tent.

massiv

Not lying about the opening time seems like a pretty good start.

KevinPage

Finally, on top of the VQ, offer a standby line with the restriction that waiting does not guarantee a ride. Wait at your own risk. Allow the VQ to go first (hint, a VQ just becomes a FP at this point) and take people in the standby as possible.

You do realize that would NEVER stop people from complaining and just setting things up to go wrong
Well the main negative of them using this kind of option is... those same people willing to go the extra mile will continue to do so next time too. And before you know it.. Disney is fighting off the 'camping' situation, etc.. just like Black Friday. The way to combat that is with predictable reliable information. Disney sprung this trick once... but they really can't afford to keep it out there as an option. Otherwise people will just keep showing up earlier and earlier and earlier..

Potentially. But SWGE was advertised as 6am. Resort buses started at 3:20 and we got into the land at 4:45am, so I view this simply as an unwritten understood rule of new attractions.

plenty of people get there early enough and are “in the know”, it’s hard to justify protecting the clueless.

KevinPage

People need to understand and accept that OK, it happened the first day, now I know.

I had no idea what time they would open so 2 days in a row I took a CHANCE and got up early and drove out there. YES, it paid off, but I was guaranteed nothing beforehand.

Planning on doing the same tomorrow morning. Could work again or blow up in my face. But it’s common knowledge now, and hard to say anything is unfair.

disneygeek90

People need to understand and accept that OK, it happened the first day, now I know.

I had no idea what time they would open so 2 days in a row I took a CHANCE and got up early and drove out there. YES, it paid off, but I was guaranteed nothing beforehand.

Planning on doing the same tomorrow morning. Could work again or blow up in my face. But it’s common knowledge now, and hard to say anything is unfair.
What time are you aiming for tomorrow?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom