News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

nickys

Premium Member
I don’t see how availability being 60 plus 4 or 5 days out is supposedly good?

It was reply to it being a slow time of year. Not about being inherently good or bad.

There were DHS FPs available over the holidays because they extended park hours only a week or so before the actual dates. So people moved them, got new ones, etc.

Yes, but booking 60 days ahead for Christmas / New Year was relatively easy compared to say Thanksgiving.

Since they changed virtually all the rides at DHS to being tier1, it has been possible to get day-of FPs for almost every ride pretty easily; Slinky is the exception. The extended park hours meant more people could book them last minute.

Kamikaze

Since they changed virtually all the rides at DHS to being tier1, it has been possible to get day-of FPs for almost every ride pretty easily; Slinky is the exception. The extended park hours meant more people could book them last minute.

Right, because there were extra hours added at later than the initial announced hours. Most people will not check back once they've seen FPs are gone.

nickys

Premium Member
Right, because there were extra hours added at later than the initial announced hours. Most people will not check back once they've seen FPs are gone.

Oh boy!

Ever since they changed the tiers at DHS, in preparation for Galaxy’s Edge opening, same day FPs have been much easier to get. People can only pre-book one tier1 ride, so there are more to around on the day.

So for six months now, same-day FPs have been much easier to get than previously. Any day, extended hours or not.

Rob562

Also, do you need to make ressies for the Cantina?

From our personal experience on mid-level crowd days, reservations at Oga's are good to have, but not critical. We went three times across two days. Twice with reservations, once without. All three times we were inside within 5 minutes. (The third time we even asked if we could wait for a spot at the bar)

If you're a larger group, it'd probably be good to get a reservation though. We were only two people, and most people we passed as we were taken out of the line and inside were larger groups of more than 4.

-Rob

flynnibus

Premium Member
The shoot em up rides (Toy Story Mania, Buzz Lightyear) and the speed through space (Star Tours) don't have the appeal as the sights of wonder rides (Soarin, Mission Space).

I find your limping of something like m:s and soarin together quite... interesting.

I don't agree at all with your conclusion. I think you have to look at the points of interest like theme interest, what kind of emotions they try to appeal to, what kind of thrills they leverage, intensity etc.

Something like soarin was so successful because the ven diagram overlap is so strong in terms of wide appeal, strong delivery and a physical but not super limiting experience.

rowrbazzle

Keep in mind that 60 days out from now is one of the "slower" times of the year. Availability is even more scarce during moderate to busy times of the year.

Certainly. As I said, I saw the same pattern for my recent trip, which was not during a slow period. Perhaps someone has actually tracked this over time, though that sounds awful so I hope not. Haha

But we're also talking mostly about guests at Disney hotels. As I understand it the number of guests in the hotels doesn't vary by huge amounts across the year, as far more people are coming from off-site than on property. It's definitely fewer hotel guests, but perhaps not dramatically so. These numbers are from a couple years ago.

Hotels-are-Not-Crowd-Calendars-from-yourfirstvisit.net_.jpg

There were DHS FPs available over the holidays because they extended park hours only a week or so before the actual dates. So people moved them, got new ones, etc.

Also the tiers open up availability to the non-Slinky rides as people are forced choose Muppets or Little Mermaid instead of Rockin Rollercoaster or Tower of Terror. As Nickys mentioned, day-of availability at HS seems to have greatly improved since they moved all the good rides to Tier 1.

promod1955

DiSnEy CoUlDn'T HaNdLe ThE SuRgE oF CrOwDs at Hollywood Studios on a regular day unless they let people park at 4 AM!!! (despite that it would be a tiny fraction of what you see here).
You think this is good? I hope you don’t have a job in guest relations.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

DiSnEy CoUlDn'T HaNdLe ThE SuRgE oF CrOwDs at Hollywood Studios on a regular day unless they let people park at 4 AM!!! (despite that it would be a tiny fraction of what you see here).

That's the queue for Buzz Lightyear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom