News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

flynnibus

Premium Member
I feel bad that my wife and one of the kids are going on the 30th... but because they are on a fixed schedule they cant adjust when they will get to the park and will miss out. I just hope the park is at least enoyable in these crazy periods. I’ve never even considered going at these peak times..

el_super

It’s not as though the ride that people actually want to go on can even run from 7 AM to 10 PM, so does it really matter which five hours of the day it is operational?

It's probably more than 5 hours a day, and that's why they are confident enough to bump up the advertised availability. They wouldn't change the opening time if they didn't think it would help capacity.

el_super

I actually think they intend to open later than they have recently.

The attraction or the park? Assuming that they are aiming for something like 70-80% reliability, they would absolutely want the ride open as early as possible. That's also why the gates have to open early to make sure there are active and full boarding groups ready to fill the capacity right at ride opening.

I guess I could see the argument that they are actually expecting MORE downtime and trying to offer more availibility (without increasing capacity) to compensate.

ToTBellHop

The attraction or the park? Assuming that they are aiming for something like 70-80% reliability, they would absolutely want the ride open as early as possible. That's also why the gates have to open early to make sure there are active and full boarding groups ready to fill the capacity right at ride opening.

I guess I could see the argument that they are actually expecting MORE downtime and trying to offer more availibility (without increasing capacity) to compensate.
I think they are trying to avoid the “whenever we feel like it during the 6 am hour” open and instead open the gates before 7 but open the rides at BGs right at 7. I could of course be wrong but I’m aware of management conversations along that train of thought. Lots of angry guests arriving “too late to ride”.

KC00

True, but doesn't change anything. The expectation was they should be able to ride because they had admission... that concept goes out the window when things are new, highly sought after, and limited.

Heck, I still haven't been inside BoG and how many years has it been open? And I've been in the park at least 3 times in that period.
I took at least 3, maybe 4 trips after FOP’s opening before I actually rode. Could never snag a FP, had no desire to wait in a 2 hour plus line and I have never been a rope drop kind of gal. Finally did rope drop for it on Easter morning 2018 because I was traveling with someone who was determined to ride. The ride blew me away and now I will do whatever is necessary to ride at least once on my trip which usually means arriving very early for rope drop. Would I love to stroll in at posted park opening and have a minimal wait? Of course but that just doesn’t work for this attraction so I’ve adjusted my approach.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Or how about killing two birds with one stone...
EMH morning creates a conflict over 'first through the gate' and 'access' to boarding groups for resort vs day guests. When you have one opening time for everyone.. this problem goes away. So get ride of EMH mornings...

But hey, we don't want to remove EMH... so what if we instead make it EVENING EMH but keep RoTR's target runtime the same? Then, we get more runway at the end of the day to make sure all boarding groups get on. So increase the time we have to run and churn through groups... so we reduce the risk having to give out comps to people we missed. Thus reducing our GR costs..

Win-win-win as far as Disney would see it.

Rob562

Annddd... it’s down.

Not surprised. Our Group #24 was called at 7:30 though we didn't enter the queue until about 8:20.

It was our very first ride, but could tell the timing was off. I think they were making smaller groups with the hope of not having to stop completely. Our briefing room had under 20 people, the hangar still had people when we arrived and we stood in the following hallway for at least 10 minutes. Took away some of the energy from the experience. Hangar to unload took 30 minutes. Unload at 9:35. Total time 1:15.

-Rob

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom