News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

A Noble Fish

Thanks for the fun!
The intention is for this system to mitigate the impact of evacuations/downtime, not prioritize any group of people (Fastpass+, Resorts, AP, CM's), allow technical work to be done at night, lower queue times, squash uncertainty (you're guaranteed to ride in a boarding group), and enjoy the rest of the park as you normally would so the ride is a effectively a bonus. Typically a standby only is the way to go for cutting queues and allowing everyone that is in the park to do it, but it's an awful system for downtime ridden rides that need nightly maintenance like Rise and Hagrid's. These are the reasons this system is being used instead of adding Fastpass+ like what was done to the low capacity Flight of Passage or standby-only like the uptime king Falcon. For the variables at play, it IS the best solution they have used in the past few years.
Just because this system serves you the best doesn't mean it does for the majority. Fact is that BGs do not work for the vast majority (I would say prob close to 90% of the guests in Florida) and time will prove that out. If this system was best for the majority, Disney would leave it in place.
It IS best for the majority of people under the current conditions. People who really want to ride it will get up early for it. People who don't know anything about Disney will be more infuriated with the fact that they don't have any Fastpasses and the shortest line in the park is an hour.

I talked to this mom with two teens, and she woke up and got a boarding group for herself because her teens were too lazy to get out of bed. She said it's on them and she's right! Foreigners and first-timers, for the most part, don't even use Fastpass+ at all, so their experience is not going to be ideal anyway. It's the nature of My Disney Experience, oh and keep reading because it gets better!
That last sentence is the problem. I'm not wrong. You're not wrong either. The select few getting FastPass isn't any different than the select few getting a BG when the park opens. You and others keep saying if you show up at park opening you are guaranteed a group, but that's just not true -- it's only been true because not enough people are choosing to show up at opening.

If 10,000 people showed up at opening tomorrow, most of them wouldn't get a group. Heck, in another thread someone said all guaranteed groups were gone right at 7 AM today, which means there were plenty of people there at opening who only received a backup group at best. If the crowds keep increasing, eventually there are going to be lots of people who show up at opening and don't even get a backup group.

There isn't one right, objectively best way to do this, and there's no evidence that ANY of the ideas that have been put out in this discussion by me and others benefit the largest group of people. We have no way of knowing that.
No, not at all. With Fastpass, it requires more planning months ahead, and unless they are released in batches, only a minimum of RESORT GUESTS would be able to get it, and if you miss it you get to enjoy a 10-hour queue with the probability that it breaks down.

This system allows everyone who shows up early that day to get on. Are you just that lazy? You can't get up one morning? Or are you abusing ADS, so you want to show up at 3 and expect to ride it getting a return time?

I am right on this, every other system either requires some people to have significant planning in advance or waiting an entire day in a queue.

You are wrong to say that this isn't the best system for the variables at play here. It is, objectively. In practice (not theoretical), you're basically guaranteed a group at opening. That's all that matters.

This is objectively the best system for a major new theme park attraction in years. Mine Train has godforsaken wait times years later for a mediocre ride that's inflated by Fastpass+. The only perfect system is there to be enough capacity for every person and they are assigned a time when they enter the park at their leisure. That's unachievable, so in the real world, this boarding group system is ideal for most people. You go to the park by opening and you get on with a minimal wait. I've done it three times and I was no more prepared the more times I've done it. It's not that complicated. Shutting the ride down would only lower capacity in the park, and not allow people who are dedicated enough to show up at park open to hop on the ride.

What system do you suggest?

Opinions aren't facts regardless of what propaganda people here nowadays. In the real world, there's no perfect solution, but there are best solution(s) that are measurable with results.

The intention is for this system to mitigate the impact of evacuations/downtime, not prioritize any group of people (Fastpass+, Resorts, AP, CM's), allow technical work to be done at night, lower queue times, have certainty that you can ride it if you are in a boarding group, and enjoy the rest of the park as you normally would while you wait. That is the reason it is being used instead of adding Fastpass+ to the low capacity Flight of Passage, or standby only like the uptime king Falcon. For the variables at play, it is the best solution.

Typically a standby only is the way to go for cutting queues and allowing everyone that is in the park to do it, but it's an awful system for downtime ridden rides that need nightly maintenance like Rise and Hagrid's.

Heck, if you misunderstood how it works, so long as you are there at opening, or some of your party members are in a boarding group, you can go to Guest Relations and they usually try to help you in. Whether it be you have a flight that day, etc.

But I'm not going to waste any more of my time. People like to be right, so instead of looking at the situation and comprehending it, they get stuck up on specific things and fortify their minds when it's challenged. I'm guessing that someone will respond twisting what I am saying and irrationally justifying their statement, again.

Just human nature.

RobWDW1971

So I have been watching this thread from the beginning and instead of this BG SShow getting better it has gotten worse. Does this really only have a 700 person/hour capacity? Plus the added bonus that goes done so frequently is really just not ok. My problem is they knew they had problems and opened anyway. It amazing that over at the Disney Institute they are having classes on "exceptional quality", where you can learn....

• Assess and improve your organization's commitment to quality service
  • Differentiate and elevate your service to become a provider of choice
  • Design standards for quality service and create a consistent service experience
  • Gauge the needs, wants, stereotypes and emotions of your customers at an individual level
  • Understand the processes necessary to develop a culture that consistently delivers exceptional service
  • Recover effectively from a service failure and turn it into an opportunity to strengthen customer relations
REally they need to take their own classes.
Anybody who pays for classes at the Disney Institute should immediately be sold DVC membership and beachfront property in Iowa.

EDIT: Just a note for our new friend DVC2012 who apparently has heightened sensitivity over his DVC ownership, the comment above is a joke. So settle down.

Last edited:

huis14

I know this has been talked about at great length, but my wife and I will be at HS next Thursday and I want to be certain I get this right. Can someone confirm this.

1. It doesn't matter exactly what time I am in the park with my wife as long as we are in the park when the BG's open at 7:00 AM.
2. Right at 7:00 AM the BG's will open and everyone will have the same shot at getting a number. ie: if someone is in the park at 6:30 AM they are no more ahead of anyone else in line, the BG's opens to everyone at the same time?
3. Since there's only two of us, when I open the app should I choose "My Status" or "Join a Group"? I read a post where the person said "Join A Group" is better for small parties. Just want to confirm.

Thanks for the help. We only have one day to get it right. :)

DCBaker

Premium Member
I know this has been talked about at great length, but my wife and I will be at HS next Thursday and I want to be certain I get this right. Can someone confirm this.

1. It doesn't matter exactly what time I am in the park with my wife as long as we are in the park when the BG's open at 7:00 AM.
2. Right at 7:00 AM the BG's will open and everyone will have the same shot at getting a number. ie: if someone is in the park at 6:30 AM they are no more ahead of anyone else in line, the BG's opens to everyone at the same time?
3. Since there's only two of us, when I open the app should I choose "My Status" or "Join a Group"? I read a post where the person said "Join A Group" is better for small parties. Just want to confirm.

Thanks for the help. We only have one day to get it right. :)

1 - Correct. You just need to be tapped past the turnstiles before 7am.

2 - Correct. However, today the groups did open at 6:59. It makes no difference if you tap it at 6:10 or 6:55.

3 - I've not heard this. When the app is open and you click "Find out more" to start the boarding group process, click on Join Boarding Group to start. If that Join Boarding Group button is not lit up, you can try refreshing it my clicking on My Status or force closing the app and restarting.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
At least if it had FastPass+ I could have the privilege of giving Disney a $1000+ 2 month interest-free loan before finding out the FastPasses were all gone.

skiir97

What would happen if the ride operated so well one day that all the back groups were called? You think they would open the standby queue or just close early?

RobWDW1971

I paid $32,670 for my DVC in 2012 (bought 330 points at BLT for $99 a point in the secondary market) and it is now worth $51,150 ($155 per point at current resale) and have gone several times. Seems like you might need some classes smart guy.
Yup, that same $32,670 invested in the DJIA in 2012 would be worth $66,647 today and you could have stayed wherever you wanted, but thanks for the financial tip.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
What would happen if the ride operated so well one day that all the back groups were called? You think they would open the standby queue or just close early?
I suspect this has happened a few times this month already. There have been days where they stopped calling 15-30 minutes earlier than most other days; those have typically been days where they made it over 160.

Kamikaze

They have done both previously. Right now with the issues, I'd guess they'd just close the attraction. But unless the final group is called more than 2 hours before close, they can't close it early since you have that 2 hour window.

Kamikaze

Yup, that same $32,670 invested in the DJIA in 2012 would be worth $66,647 today and you could have stayed wherever you wanted, but thanks for the financial tip.

Assuming you make more than $40k a year (which you definitely should be if you're buying DVC), you're paying capital gains on that $34,000 that you made if you sold the stock. 15% or 20%. 15% of 34,000 is 5100. So you're at more like $61,000 of actual monetary value, and thats without factoring in the value of the trips you've taken on the DVC points. Of course, its also not including the yearly dues (because those may be tax deductible and cause all sorts of confusion on figuring out the math on 'value').

So yes, simply investing the money is better in the long run, but its not as clear cut as just looking at the Dow.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

This is not a forum to debate the cost benefit of DVC because rob feels inadequate. I am moving on and blocking him.
You’re right, it’s not the right forum and we shouldn’t be discussing it here (then again maybe you shouldn’t have been triggered by a joke either). But hey, I’ve spent my entire career in corporate finance/IR roles so we can head over to the DVC forums where you can extol the financial benefits of timeshare ownership in a booming equities market. See you there!

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Opinions aren't facts regardless of what propaganda people here nowadays. In the real world, there's no perfect solution, but there are best solution(s) that are measurable with results.

How ironic.

This is exactly what I was trying to get you (and others) to understand. You keep using the word objective, but I don't think you understand what it means. What you are saying is subjective; there's no data to support your claim that this is the objectively best method. Your opinion that this is the best method is not a fact. Everything everyone has said here is subjective until there's some actual statistics to back it up.

It is amusing to read the last couple of paragraphs you wrote, though, because they're accurate -- you're just totally missing the fact that you're describing yourself with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom