Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

Californian Elitist

Nobody here is talking about a CM briefly asking another CM how they are doing as one wouldn’t even notice such a greeting. It’s the extended conversations while ignoring guests that we witness all day, every day.

And I know you didn’t ask if I was a CM, I was looking to preempt a “you don’t understand what it’s like” response.

Focus on the guests and catch up with your friends backstage. Pretty low bar to clear.

I thought we were saving speeches?

There were a lot of assumptions based on that photo of the CMs together. No one specified inappropriate conversations, just conversations in general.

I have not responded to anyone with a “you don’t know what it’s like” response, so I’m not sure why you assumed I would respond to you in that manner.

I was able to do my job effectively and have a short side conversations. We weren’t dumb enough to have such conversations when there weren’t opportunities to do so. I’ve said there are such things as unacceptable conversations. There are also times where CMs shouldn’t have friendly conversations either, based on situations. Short and brief conversations are no big deal, when there’s a window open.

Agree to disagree at this point.

RobWDW1971

I thought we were saving speeches?

There were a lot of assumptions based on that photo of the CMs together. No one specified inappropriate conversations, just conversations in general.

I have not responded to anyone with a “you don’t know what it’s like” response, so I’m not sure why you assumed I would respond to you in that manner.

I was able to do my job effectively and have a short side conversations. We weren’t dumb enough to have such conversations when there weren’t opportunities to do so. I’ve said there are such things as unacceptable conversations. There are also times where CMs shouldn’t have friendly conversations either, based on situations. Short and brief conversations are no big deal, when there’s a window open.

Agree to disagree at this point.
If the personal conversations are on stage and in front of the guests, they are by definition inappropriate.

RobWDW1971

And that’s where we disagree.
Not sure that’s up for debate unless that’s the new written cast member policy that allows personal conversations on stage in front of guests. And if that’s the case, well, it sounds like you were an exceptional cast member.

Californian Elitist

Not sure that’s up for debate unless that’s the new written cast member policy that allows personal conversations on stage in front of guests. And if that’s the case, well, it sounds like you were an exceptional cast member.

I was an exceptional cast member, thank you.

I was trained that onstage conversations were allowed when appropriate and when the time was okay. Not only did I have brief conversations with my fellow regular CMs, but I also had them with my managers and my leads.

The guests survived, they still got on the rides, and they still watched the shows just fine.

SuddenStorm

It's worth noting that most tourists are blissfully unaware of these Cast Member onstage conversation. It's not something I really noticed until this past fall. But once you've noticed you can't un notice, and that's a problem. It's actually kind of astounding how brazen some CM's seem to shirk off any semblance of show, courtesy, or efficiency.

It's especially amusing since there's been the huge push on how much more Disneyland Cast Members deserve since Disney holds them to a higher standard- yet my local McDonald's has better service than some of the CM's the park has.

I have no issue with onstage conversation from CM's- expecting them to not talk would be foolish and unreasonable. Especially since this can easily be done without any kind of hit on show. But when you go to the park 75 times in 4 months + working there 3-5 days/week you start to notice things.

A group of Fantasmic Crowd Control CM's huddled together with their backs to everyone talking about how they don't like the schedule that was just posted is unacceptable.

Walking up to a merchandise counter and not even being acknowledged by the two ladies, who are far too caught up in a conversation about how they just picked up a shift for the next day is unacceptable.

The greeters at the attraction entrance ignoring you because they're too busy talking about whatever, once again with their backs to the guests is a problem.

mandelbrot

True, there are cultural differences between Japan and the USA.

And yet I can go into several upscale hotels right here in Orange County and be treated on the same level as Tokyo CM's; the Hotel Montage in Laguna Beach and Pelican Hill in Newport Beach come to mind instantly, while the Ritz-Carlton's in Laguna and Rancho Mirage consistently hit it out of the park for me. On the opposite end of the pricing spectrum, I can walk into the In-N-Out Burger two miles from my house and be treated very well and have the exceedingly polite and well groomed kids behind the counter focused only on me and my order, not the latest gossip as they lean against the shake machine. And across the parking lot is a Chick-Fil-A where the same high standards are on display from a different company. But go two blocks down the street to the McDonald's and its a disaster.

It is entirely possible for young Americans in 2020 to provide excellent customer service. The three CM's shown above at Rise Before Dawn are not achieving that standard; they were likely poorly trained and are clearly being poorly supervised and/or held to any meaningful standard.
Or...maybe we're jumping to conclusions? Perhaps this was a momentary conversation to coordinate how to handle the current situation? There's a whole lot of criticism goin' on right now based on minimal information. It suggests an inherent bias towards CM's which has been apparent from this poster for some time.

DarkMetroid567

I was a CM at WDW so my experience I guess was a little different, but I will say it was exceedingly difficult to care and anyone expecting otherwise is incredibly naive.

The pay is poor. The benefits are bad. Those who uphold the standards well (and in turn, act like psuedo-leaders with their fellow cast members) are seen as stuck-ups and suckers, because, well, they are. Part of that happens because the leadership system is so disconnected and poor. The leaders just don't relate to their cast members; they're out-of-touch, absent, and downright ridiculous in their administration of procedure depending on your role.

Working at Disney isn't a prestigious or rewarding job. There's very little benefit to working at Disneyland rather than working at Knott's or Magic Mountain. Coupled with exceedingly high healthcare costs and inflation outpacing the dismal pay, the boomers expecting top notch service 100% of the time at a Disney park are honestly being foolish. Disney's service is really boosted by the disturbing cultural dependence that some have on the company, but that's a discussion for another time.

Are young CMs capable of providing excellent service? Absolutely, and some do. With all factors in mind, should they? Nah. I can very safely say I'd never want to work in a low-level position at The Walt Disney Company ever again.

Rich Brownn

My second job at Universal was a Hogwarts Express porter. I never, ever broke character onstage. I loved being the part and figured out new ways to keep mundane things from breaking the mood... like I never called it an elevator. It's an appirator, for those who can't do the spell yet. One day I found my supervisor watching me from behind (I had no idea she was there) and when I saw her she was just grinning at me.

DarkMetroid567

My second job at Universal was a Hogwarts Express porter. I never, ever broke character onstage. I loved being the part and figured out new ways to keep mundane things from breaking the mood... like I never called it an elevator. It's an appirator, for those who can't do the spell yet. One day I found my supervisor watching me from behind (I had no idea she was there) and when I saw her she was just grinning at me.

I never broke character at SWGE until Rise opened. I found that angry guests get even angrier when you do themed speak.

Mickeyboof

I never broke character at SWGE until Rise opened. I found that angry guests get even angrier when you do themed speak.

Being square with a frustrated guest is appreciated.

Talking about Susie’s party isn’t.

Talking about work like it’s a chore isn’t appreciated. All work is a chore.

shambolicdefending

Working at Disney isn't a prestigious or rewarding job. There's very little benefit to working at Disneyland rather than working at Knott's or Magic Mountain. Coupled with exceedingly high healthcare costs and inflation outpacing the dismal pay, the boomers expecting top notch service 100% of the time at a Disney park are honestly being foolish. Disney's service is really boosted by the disturbing cultural dependence that some have on the company, but that's a discussion for another time.
Having spent a fair share of time working in front-line service positions, I can appreciate what you're saying about how grinding those jobs can be.

But, coming from a millenial (albeit on the older end), I think that "boomers" and everyone else have every right to expect exceptional service at Disney resorts. For one thing, that's part of the self-proclaimed Disney brand. For another, Disney prices themselves at the industry peak. You can't charge 99th percentile premium prices without fomenting an expectation of a premium experience.

The fact that modern CM culture sometimes struggles to meet those expectations is not a customer problem.

Californian Elitist

Yes! This happened to me at Pinocchio once. The ride went down and a guest came up to me and asked me what was wrong. I told him Pinocchio was caught lying and he was being a bad child at the moment and needed some time to think about his behavior, or something to that extent. The guest looked at me like I was an idiot and demanded to know what was really going on, since he was an annual passholder.

😑

shambolicdefending

Yes! This happened to me at Pinocchio once. The ride went down and a guest came up to me and asked me what was wrong. I told him Pinocchio was caught lying and he was being a bad child at the moment and needed some time to think about his behavior, or something to that extent. The guest looked at me like I was an idiot and demanded to know what was really going on, since he was an annual passholder.
How much of a weirdo do you have to be to get so exercised about Pinocchio?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Coupled with exceedingly high healthcare costs and inflation outpacing the dismal pay, the boomers expecting top notch service 100% of the time at a Disney park are honestly being foolish

That is Disney's problem - not for the customer to simply 'roll with it...' when they are being sold something else.

Disney Analyst

Okay this thread has gotten a wee bit crazy for me. CMs are not robots. Having a brief casual conversation is not an issue.

I’ve worked in restaurants, offices, and also as a CM at MK. Any job has times that certain conversations are inappropriate, especially around non-work peoples. But my god, some of the expectations in this thread are ridiculous. It’s Disney. A theme park. They pay people nothing. If you want a fully immersive acting experience go to Broadway.

shambolicdefending

Okay this thread has gotten a wee bit crazy for me. CMs are not robots. Having a brief casual conversation is not an issue.

I’ve worked in restaurants, offices, and also as a CM at MK. Any job has times that certain conversations are inappropriate, especially around non-work peoples. But my god, some of the expectations in this thread are ridiculous. It’s Disney. A theme park. They pay people nothing. If you want a fully immersive acting experience go to Broadway.
I appreciate CMs who go the extra mile to add a little bit more character to their safety spiels, etc., and the ones who play it up a bit more for the kids. But, I have zero expectation that they'll do so during interactions with an adult, and would honestly feel a little weird if they were over the top about it.

But, trading in work gossip within earshot of customers is poor form no matter where you work.

Disney Analyst

I appreciate CMs who go the extra mile to add a little bit more character to their safety spiels, etc., and the ones who play it up a bit more for the kids. But, I have zero expectation that they'll do so during interactions with an adult, and would honestly feel a little weird if they were over the top about it.

But, trading in work gossip within earshot of customers is poor form no matter where you work.

precisely. of course there are conversations anywhere that are inappropriate, and if someone doesn’t have a sense of that then sure, get rid of them.

But CM’s stopping for a moment and interacting with each other briefly is not inappropriate. Sure if you have a group stopping for some obscene amount of time and ignoring all guests around whilst they gossip, that’s not a good situation.

But I cannot for the life of me imagine that’s a normal occurrence. I’ve never seen it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom