Star Wars on Blu-Ray: will you buy it?

ttalovebug

Original Poster
Hey friends. Now I know many of you here are Star Wars fans, so I'm wondering what your thoughts are on the new blu ray release. Are you shelling out to buy the movies yet again, or do you refuse to feed the Lucas-troll? Is that one infamous word at the end of Jedi disgusting you to the point of boycott, or is the notion of the movies in crystal clear HD to hard to pass up?

Personally, I think I'm actually going to buy them. To be fair, I never bought the Special Edition DVDs, so I think that gives me an excuse. I've been watching the original trilogy on VHS all these years, so the idea of great sound and picture is really inticing me, despite all the changes.

So, what do you guys think? :wave:

MonoManBlue

I will buy them......eventually. The blu-ray actually looks very good on Epsiode's 4-6. I have never been a fan of 1-3, but as most SW fans will agree, they were crap anyway. So I will wait and hope the price comes down a little as I already own them all on DVD. I am a little bummed that Lucas made MORE changes however.

prberk

I will buy them......eventually. The blu-ray actually looks very good on Epsiode's 4-6. I have never been a fan of 1-3, but as most SW fans will agree, they were crap anyway. So I will wait and hope the price comes down a little as I already own them all on DVD. I am a little bummed that Lucas made MORE changes however.

What changes did he make? I feel stupid, but I have not heard this.

As for Blu-Ray, I was just thinking the other day that the confluence of Star Wars and Lion King on Blu-Ray will finally push me over the edge to buy a Blu-Ray player for my new (last February) HD television.

I consider Star Wars, The Sound of Music, The Lion King, and Gone With the Wind, each for different reasons, to be definitive statements in cinema, worthy of having in HD.

By the way, I saw the Lion King in 3D at the theatre the other day and was somewhat impressed every now and then by the stunning visuals in 3D (like the birds flying by, and the waterfalls), but those visuals were stunning anyhow, in 2D. So I am not sure that 3D was worth it -- but the movie should definitely be seen by everyone on the big screen, 3D or not. At times, it appeared that, especially when Mufasa or adult Simba would move slowly, the black lines that defined their mouths seemed to move less fluidly (as in a little jerky) than normal when they where moving slowly.

Paul

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I will buy them for the bonus material alone.

What changes did he make? I feel stupid, but I have not heard this.
Many of the changes were minor and as usual some left me scratching my head. This page should break down most of them.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-changes-revealed

As usual most fanboys are loosing their minds over them just like they did when the special editions came out. Personally, I could care less and don't mind a tweak here and there. IMHO, until Lucas's private police force comes to my house and confiscates my original copies he can do whatever he wants to his movies.

prberk

I will buy them for the bonus material alone.

Many of the changes were minor and as usual some left me scratching my head. This page should break down most of them.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/star-wars-the-complete-saga-blu-ray-changes-revealed

As usual most fanboys are loosing their minds over them just like they did when the special editions came out. Personally, I could care less and don't mind a tweak here and there. IMHO, until Lucas's private police force comes to my house and confiscates my original copies he can do whatever he wants to his movies.

Thanks. Actually the whole thing kind of reminds me of when Disney updates their attractions. Usually people here want everything preserved exactly the way it was... but then things come along like the Haunted Mansion update that people loved. It managed to keep the original idea, and simply update it, using tools that were available which had not been available previously.

Paul

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
We saw them at Walmart and at Sams Club today. They are offering them split up in 1-3 and 4-6 and then in a box set of 1-6. As of now, not planning on shelling out almost $100 for a set of movies I already have on DVD. Just dont see the value in having them in BlueRay.

flynnibus

Premium Member
No - out of principle

For those thinking it's just over reaction.

Go check out the 'revisited' efforts and see just how much m__________g they did with the SE editions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdaw_CMj96U

It's sad that amateurs can improve the films so much better then Lucas himself these days.

The SE editions are debatable.. but these last changes are just beyond STUPID. I don't see how anyone could have sat in a screening room and go 'wow, that really does make it better!'.

I won't buy them for that reason alone.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
No - out of principle

For those thinking it's just over reaction.

Go check out the 'revisited' efforts and see just how much m__________g they did with the SE editions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdaw_CMj96U

It's sad that amateurs can improve the films so much better then Lucas himself these days.

The SE editions are debatable.. but these last changes are just beyond STUPID. I don't see how anyone could have sat in a screening room and go 'wow, that really does make it better!'.

I won't buy them for that reason alone.
Like I said earlier...Are the Lucas police coming to your house and taking your originals away? Until they do that, I can not see any logical reason to be upset about this to the degree that some are.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Like I said earlier...Are the Lucas police coming to your house and taking your originals away? Until they do that, I can not see any logical reason to be upset about this to the degree that some are.

When did you see me saying anything about me personally being impacted by this? As I said, I simply will not buy this release based on the content and Lucas' dementia.

And what originals are you referring to? My several iterations of VHS copies? The DVD release which was ONLY the SE editions and then the later 2006 release of the un-altered trilogy was a crap transfer that isn't even anamorphic?

The fact remains there is no HD release of the originals by Lucas.. the closest being the 2006 letterbox 4:3 release which was subpar quality and format.

The guy could easily publish both his 'updated' and originals and people would buy them by the truckload. But for some mental reason he refuses to

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom