Star Wars Land vs Wizarding World

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Disney got greedy opening 2 versions of SWGE. They would have been far better served to put all their resources into one attraction in Florida but instead they went in jammed in one at Disneyland as well because “Double the attractions, means double the profits!!!! As long as we stick a Millennium Falcon replica in somewhere who cares what the rest is like!”
If they’d pooled the resources in WDW they could have made something amazing. Maybe not quite like that SW world concept map shows, but still amazing.
Of course if Iger wasn’t so determined to make sure every person in China is within 2 hours of a Disney park there, maybe they would have the money to build that SW concept world after all.
The land was designed for Disneyland then they decided to out one in florida. They didnt "jam" it in, it was designed for Disneyland and made slight alterations so it would fit in florida also

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

😂😂 I was a kid in 2005 when I saw the Anakin/Obi-Wan duel in Revenge of the Sith. After seeing that as a kid, how am I supposed to view the Vader/Luke duel as superior?
Because it is. The anakin obi-wan fight has no emotion behind it and goes on forever. Go watch Red Letter Media's review of Revenge of the sith where they give a perfect and excellent breakdown why this fight is awful

Beacon Joe

Let's all face it. This is what we wanted! This is what Walt would have bet the farm on. Disney gave us a faux Star Wars land.

Sums it up nicely. Instead, we get some town nobody has heard of, full of characters nobody cares about, and a contrived "ceremony" that will cost you $200 plus tax. And two new rides. One that people actually want to experience, and one that people will ride, well, just because it's an available Fast Pass.

rkleinlein

As I read these very entertaining comments, there seem to be two main complaints:

1) That the beloved original trilogy is ignored, and
2) That the execution of Galaxy's Edge is lackluster.

Either one of those flaws on their own would likely be forgiven, at least, I think, by most.

There would still be grumblings but the absence of original characters could be forgiven if the Millennium Falcon ride was spectacular and the new cantina dazzled. (This may come to pass if the much hyped "game-changing" attraction really is a game-changer.)

There would still be grumblings but a lackluster execution could be forgiven if people felt they were getting just what they wanted and expected. I think the Fantasyland and Toy Story Land expansions are examples of this.

But Galaxy's Edge fails to give too many people what they want and expect in a Star Wars land, and it has failed, thus far, to give anything truly spectacular. It's really hard, I think, to forgive both flaws. Especially with a cultural phenomenon that is so beloved and in an expansion that was so hyped.

bryanfze55

Because it is. The anakin obi-wan fight has no emotion behind it and goes on forever. Go watch Red Letter Media's review of Revenge of the sith where they give a perfect and excellent breakdown why this fight is awful

“You were my brother Anakin! I loved you!” Gets me every time, Happy Haunt.

We need more Ewan McGregor. Any truth to the rumors that Disney is creating an Obi-Wan show on Disney+ starring him?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I’m not sure what Star Wars fans want exactly. They ripped George Lucas for the prequels, which is why he sold Star Wars to Disney. The OT is great and all, but it’s been 36 years since RotJ. It’s time to enjoy them for what they were but accept that Disney has taken the films in their own creative direction.

As for the battle sequence, I’m not sure why Luke/Vader had more emotion than Obi-Wan/Anakin. Vader may have been Luke’s father, but they had only met once before. Luke had no reason to feel connection to him. Obi-Wan had to “kill” the man who had been his best friend/protege/“brother” for 10+ years.
Except that the relationship between Obi and Anakin just never felt genuine. Just like Luke has more sparks with his sister than anything Anakin and Padme had.
Thus when they had the fight, it just sort of felt like it was following the script. Even the location was silly. Blame the script, blame the director, blame the actors....blame them all? When I think of those films I think of wooden performances, dull lifeless dialogue, and drawn out action sequences that seem to be there to show off the cgi, not move the plot along.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
But that’s not how Disney was selling this. They were selling it as a total game changer that would bring in droves not just some nice addition to the parks and they were certainly pricing it like it is.

You’re right in that DL won’t be a problem because it’s so beloved people will go there anyway and if there’s another cool place to see, all the better.

DHS could be a different story because it was supposed to be something that totally revitalized a park that sorely needs it and give people a ‘must see’ there whenever they visit WDW. Yes we have to wait until it opens, and RotR to see what happens, but based on the pattern of the DL opening, there are reasons to be concerned.

And, in relation to your other post, yes it’s touchy because of people’s emotional attachment to SW, especially the OT. But since acquiring the franchise Disney, Kathleen Kennedy in particular, have seemed to do almost everything they can to destroy the connection to the OT and bring fans to heel on their new universe. They got away with it TFA on interest and nostalgia, but fans lashed back after TLJ and Solo paid for it big time as a result. It’s going to be VERY interesting to see what happens with ROS in December.

SWGE seems to be an extension of that strategy to wipe away the OT and force the NT down their throats when I think most fans have been pretty clear THAT’S NOT WHAT THEY WANT. Obviously things can change l, but the mere fact the DL opening was underwhelming and we’re openly wondering how successful it’ll all intimately be is pretty astounding when you consider what a home run this was supposed to be.
I will say one thing. Maybe one of the problems with the new movies is that they had too many ties to the OT. They are slowly severing them, and maybe that is hurting fans, but man I will take that any day over a reboot.
And can we all agree Rouge One was the best of the new movies? I think because the cast was the strongest and, ironicly, the story was one of the more Original(even if it was a dumb plot).

Last edited:
Not to be all negative on Disney. I do like the concept of the Star Wars hotel where you are immersed to feel like you are traveling on a starship. We will see how it works in execution. Also, it will probably be priced so high to stay there most fans won't be able to afford it. I think one issue is that Harry Potter has slowly raised the bar for immersion. We need more than cool rides and nice aesthetics. We want to escape the world we see around us with all the bitterness, hate, and partisanship. To do that, we want the immersive experience. I am not even a Harry Potter fan, but I really enjoy the experience of the WWoHP. It should be the same with the Star Wars Land at Disney. You shouldn't have to be a fan and have watched all the movies to enjoy being immersed in a fantastic world from long, long ago. With Disney, we have come to "expect" them to be the "best" when it comes to theme parks. They just haven't seemed to figure out how to outdo Universal with their WWoHP. It's not that they don't have the means nor the talent to do it. It is the executive leadership and corporate mentality that as long as they are making profits, why change the formula. All I can say is that we have gone from spending $3k per year on Disney trips every year to maybe planning a trip every 5 years. It depends on how much the prices keep going up. I've heard such good things about Tokyo DisneySea, that we have talked about visiting Japan to go see it. Why should I have to travel half way around the world to see a well thought out and executed Disney theme park addition?

erasure fan1

I will say one thing. Maybe one of the problems with the new movies is that they had too many ties to the OT. They are slowly severing them, and maybe that is hurting fans
Not really. The problem was they didn't slowly sever the OT. Give the OT characters their one last adventure and by the end of the 3rd movie the torch is past. Not ignore Luke completely, and barely use Leia, and kill Solo in your first movie. Fans understand that the OT characters needed to step aside, but Disney did it too abruptly and without respecting the history of the characters. And yes, Rouge one was the best of the Disney star wars.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Not really. The problem was they didn't slowly sever the OT. Give the OT characters their one last adventure and by the end of the 3rd movie the torch is past. Not ignore Luke completely, and barely use Leia, and kill Solo in your first movie. Fans understand that the OT characters needed to step aside, but Disney did it too abruptly and without respecting the history of the characters. And yes, Rouge one was the best of the Disney star wars.
With all due respect. I don't know if Harrison Ford wanted to be in it beyond one film, the guy had been asking for a death scene since Empire, Carrie Fisher passes away....so what more could you expect there? I agree Luke was not used in a proper way and also seemed to be a totally different character than the one from the first 3 films.

OG Runner

Of course they’re cash grabs. The difference is one is a crash grab that was done to the highest caliber and clearly geared to make the world people see in the stories come to life and spend money while doing it. While the other seems to be gathering a lot of “Well it’s nice and all, but isn’t something I’d pay big bucks to see again” reactions.

What do you base that on? I am pretty sure that for every reaction you reference there are others that absolutely love it.
On the other hand, I know there are other people that have the same two reactions for WWoHP. The overall reactions are
going to be determined by how much the person likes the source material. I am sure there are people that would go to
WWoHP constantly would not step foot in GE and vice versa.

erasure fan1

Also, it will probably be priced so high to stay there most fans won't be able to afford it.
That is the exact reason I really don't care or haven't paid any attention to the project. If the cost is what we all think it will be, Disney will be pricing out a lot of the fans. And that is a mistake.
They just haven't seemed to figure out how to outdo Universal with their WWoHP. It's not that they don't have the means nor the talent to do it. It is the executive leadership and corporate mentality that as long as they are making profits, why change the formula.
Galaxys edge was made, not from a fan first mentality, but from a check off the different profit boxes mentality. Potter feels like it was made for the fans first. Not that Universal doesn't want profit, oh they very much do. But they were smart enough to realize that if you build the experience for the fans first, the money will come. I wonder what other guy who created his own theme park used this thought process? Hmmm 🤔

zurj

I will say one thing. Maybe one of the problems with the new movies is that they had too many ties to the OT. They are slowly severing them, and maybe that is hurting fans, but man I will take that any day over a reboot any day.
And can we all agree Rouge One was the best of the new movies? I think because the caat was the strongest and Ironicly because the story was one of the more Original(even if it was a dumb plot).
Completely agree. Gonna get laughed off this board, but Rouge One is actually my favorite Star Wars film, period.

zurj

With all due respect. I don't know if Harrison Ford wanted to be in it beyond one film, the guy had been asking for a death scene since Empire, Carrie Fisher passes away....so what more could you expect there? I agree Luke was not used in a proper way and also seemed to be a totally different character than the one from the first 3 films.
And the Carrie Fisher scene where she floats off into space and comes back was so corny it almost ruined the whole movie for me... Other than that I didn't really mind episode viii

erasure fan1

I agree I don't think Ford really wanted to be in more than one movie. But he also likes money, so I'm sure they could have got him for at least the 2nd movie. But regardless we never got the OT characters back together again even with them all involved in 7. Fisher died after she was done with her parts, that means they could have had 2 movies with the OT characters being relevant, and the 3rd be the transition to the new generation. It should have been a pretty simple thing but they fumbled the hand-off.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I agree I don't think Ford really wanted to be in more than one movie. But he also likes money, so I'm sure they could have got him for at least the 2nd movie. But regardless we never got the OT characters back together again even with them all involved in 7. Fisher died after she was done with her parts, that means they could have had 2 movies with the OT characters being relevant, and the 3rd be the transition to the new generation. It should have been a pretty simple thing but they fumbled the hand-off.
I think other than Leia, the other thing that was was kinda bad was to see that after all these years, Han and Luke really hadn't developed at all as characters. Heck I love the classic Han look but it just made his age more pronounced to be running around in the same get up after 30 some years.

Mark IV Fan

What do you base that on? I am pretty sure that for every reaction you reference there are others that absolutely love it.
On the other hand, I know there are other people that have the same two reactions for WWoHP. The overall reactions are
going to be determined by how much the person likes the source material. I am sure there are people that would go to
WWoHP constantly would not step foot in GE and vice versa.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious that no 2 people are exactly like.

I’m going on the basis that, so far at least, Potter has been a non stop home run money maker for Universal, whereas GE has opened to mixed reviews and smaller than expected crowds. Which is the exact same thing that Disney and Universal will base the success on.

If I say Coke is more beloved than RC Cola, just because someone will smugly say “Oh, yeah? What are you basing that on? I know people who love RC Cola” it doesn’t change the fact that Coke crushes it in pretty much every measurable metric.
Right now Potter is looking like Coke and GE is RC Cola. Feel free to play contrarian all you want and debt it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom