Star Wars Land Opening Dates

justintheharris

You figure they wouldn't open it at the same time as Star Wars. And once StarWars opens it would be less of a draw.
The impression I was under was that Runaway Railway was going to show up in August or September and Galaxy's Edge was going to show up shortly before Thanksgiving. But I'm no insider. I just go by what I gather from other sources. I was always fairly certain they wouldn't open at the same time.

justintheharris

So they are essentially opening MMRR, the gondolas and SWGE all around the same time? Doesn't that seem crazy?
None of us are able to comprehend the amount of people that will show up to Galaxy's Edge in its opening days. They need an efficient transportation system AND another brand new ride to (at least try and) detract crowds from Galaxy's Edge. It's crazy but it's necessity.

Nottamus

I was still hoping for a December 19th at 5pm opening....almost as late fall as possible, since we have a week of 12/1/19 trip booked.

Kinda hoping to be there before its open...then maybe catch it next year when the crowd levels drop into the 100's of millions.

MrHappy

I think when it opens will be largely irrelevant. It will be a full blown 9 alarm fire in terms of attendance regardless if they open it Christmas week or the first week of February.
So why not open during a slower period? Why open when there's already a-jillion people already coming. Are they nervous that a January opening would severely lessen their holiday crowds? I just don't get it.

MrHappy

No, not mid November. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t open by then.

Still educated guessing at this time.
I presume you have been made privy to the proposed timeline, and that it projects with some contingency an opening in early November. How often are you (Disney) right on these things ;) How close did Pandora meet it's projected date?
Like the OP, I have an 11/14-18 trip in the works, just need to know if I should prepare for the worse.
Maybe there will be an unplanned delay (or 2), and that will make for AP events and such w/o 11/11, with full launch 11/18? :cool::angelic:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So why not open during a slower period? Why open when there's already a-jillion people already coming. Are they nervous that a January opening would severely lessen their holiday crowds? I just don't get it.
Every day they do not open is money lost and like I said, the crowds are going to be insane regardless. They might as well open when they have holiday staffing levels.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I presume you have been made privy to the proposed timeline, and that it projects with some contingency an opening in early November. How often are you (Disney) right on these things ;) How close did Pandora meet it's projected date?
Like the OP, I have an 11/14-18 trip in the works, just need to know if I should prepare for the worse.
Maybe there will be an unplanned delay (or 2), and that will make for AP events and such w/o 11/11, with full launch 11/18? :cool::angelic:
Originally it was August / September. How far it’s slipped or pulled back exactly I don’t know.

MrHappy

Originally it was August / September. How far it’s slipped or pulled back exactly I don’t know.
So is your predication a land "completion" date or an "opening date? After googlin' I see there is precedent that soft openings can take 2 months, NFL (minus 7DMT) was almost 2 months from what I'm reading. There's other examples I can share if anyone cares. So, in theory of course, if the completion is Nov 1ish, the opening could be Jan 1ish. Right?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So is your predication a land "completion" date or an "opening date? After googlin' I see there is precedent that soft openings can take 2 months, NFL (minus 7DMT) was almost 2 months from what I'm reading. There's other examples I can share if anyone cares. So, in theory of course, if the completion is Nov 1ish, the opening could be Jan 1ish. Right?
Opening.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Says Late Fall opening which late fall is anywhere from Thanksgiving time to Christmas time. Winter does not start until a few days before Christmas. So certainly it will not be open in Sept which fall does not even start until late Sept. lol I would be extremely shocked to see it open before November when they have been saying fall/ late fall. ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As been mentioned, "LATE FALL" has been changed to "FALL."

Given that @marni1971 is guestimating by November-ish rather than December-ish, it checks out.

Is this for real? We purposely booked mid-November hoping it wouldn't be open yet so the parks would be relatively empty 😐

Even if SWL isn't open, MMRR will be... with a five hour wait. Hope you weren't planning to pass through the hub*. :D

*Yes, I know that Municiberg ends Sept 31 and they'll probably use old Pixar Lane for MMRR's queue.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Given that @marni1971 is guestimating by November-ish rather than December-ish, it checks out.

Even if SWL isn't open, MMRR will be... with a five hour wait. Hope you weren't planning to pass through the hub*. :D

*Yes, I know that Municiberg ends Sept 31 and they'll probably use old Pixar Lane for MMRR's queue.
Again, it should have been around September. It slipped, I don’t know by how much or how much they’ve pulled it back.

JohnD

Yeah. I'm planning a trip for April-May of this year. Then it is "See you in 2020, WDW!"

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom