Star Wars Land Demand vs Capacity

Disstevefan1

I've got a feeling it's going to look like the lines that snake through the mall when the newsest smart phones release....

a 3 hour wait just to get into SW:GE, then 5 hour waits for each attraction.

There won't be enough merchandise to keep up with demand, either. A lot of people didn't even like Avatar, but bought all the expensive merch because it was new/cool/could be resold at double the retail online, etc...

I know my husband and I are planning on taking a trip in 2021 for the 50th if we can afford it, and he's thinking it'll still be nuts years from now.

Totally agree. As for merchandise, very true, we saw this happen in Pandora. As we know the Star fan base is much larger than Avatar.

Kingtut

Right from the start we all knew what they were putting in for SW wasnt going to be enough. Anyone that had seen the crowds that flocked in for HP, FoP, and others in the past could predict the enormous draw this major fan based land would bring. I dont think Disney is ready for whats to come. It will be like something wev e never seen before in terms of guest demand and guest frustration when they wait or cant get in. Weve dreamt about another park.... well this should have been. Theres so much material they could have drawn from that would have blown all other parks away.
I agree that what is being built is nowhere large enough to satisfy demand. Let me state that i am one of those people who "had a doctors appointment" at work to see SW-Ep4 in 77. The demand will be crazy but many of us from those days have reached a point where seeing GE will not be worth the hassle and crowds.

Disney - take my money please but let me be comfortable and enjoy myself while you take it.

I am afraid that GE will only fulfill the first part of my request.

rreading

I agree that what is being built is nowhere large enough to satisfy demand. Let me state that i am one of those people who "had a doctors appointment" at work to see SW-Ep4 in 77. The demand will be crazy but many of us from those days have reached a point where seeing GE will not be worth the hassle and crowds.

Disney - take my money please but let me be comfortable and enjoy myself while you take it.

I am afraid that GE will only fulfill the first part of my request.

I have a friend who is a huge SW fan and doesn't feel that his 4h window at DL would be sufficient. Even only riding one ride.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I do not think you are overestimating the crowds/demand/endurance we will see at GE. I envision queues to get INTO GE snaking through DHS. Its gonna be a mess. I am looking forward to the YouTube reports of the first week and Disneyland and WDW
Purely conjecture at this point with zero days of operation in any park.

winstongator

Right now the WWoHP has 3 attractions, with flight of the hippogriff being underwhelming. The new coaster will be huge. Even with one of my daughters doing none of the attractions, we still managed to pack a day with just WWoHP, and we would have been happy to pay the near $200 one-day-two-park ticket (we ended up getting a 3-day ticket for just a little more).

When Rise of the Resistance opens, there will be a good amount to do. I have to imagine that there were discussions on bigger options - more attractions. To some degree it's a calculation of additional revenue vs. investment. However, one 'feature' is that the lands are nearly identical in DL & DHS. How much more space would DL have to expand?

I like the idea of forgoing FP+. You'd have people going into the land just to do those rides taking away from the people truly immersed. The land is about much more than just the rides - somewhat opposed to Pandora. I see myself doing near full days at Galaxy's Edge where I've never spent more than a few hours at Pandora. There will be a ton to see in the shops & restaurants, the CM, and the guests getting into it. Diagon Alley is some nook in London. Black Spire Outpost is a whole other world.

My dad has been to WDW with me 5 times in the past 20 years. He does not enjoy the parks. He loved the Void VR experience (as well as the A Christmas Story ICE display). I've found that Disney Springs is the best spot for my family with my parents. I'll get him to Galaxy's Edge, at some point, and I'll see what he thinks.

There is huge planned expansion: the hotel! It will hit a lot of the points you mention: limited entry and uncharge! I think it will be a true test of the immersive environment. Do people really like visiting Delos's Star Wars World?

I like the idea of something like they're doing at DL to avoid monster lines.

winstongator

I've got a feeling it's going to look like the lines that snake through the mall when the newsest smart phones release....

a 3 hour wait just to get into SW:GE, then 5 hour waits for each attraction.

There won't be enough merchandise to keep up with demand, either. A lot of people didn't even like Avatar, but bought all the expensive merch because it was new/cool/could be resold at double the retail online, etc...

I know my husband and I are planning on taking a trip in 2021 for the 50th if we can afford it, and he's thinking it'll still be nuts years from now.
I think some of it will boil down to whether they bring FP+ in. If they do, I'd imagine the lines for the attractions will be longer than Flight of Passage. I think there will be plenty to do in the land besides the attractions, and that non-attraction immersion is what I'm most looking forward to. How insane were the crowds at WWoHP 1.5 years after opening?

DisneyfanMA

Haven't been since a child in 1990 when it was MGM studios...is it too simplistic to hope this land (and to a lesser degree avatar land at AK) makes the rest of the park much more tolerable crowd wise? Planning trip with 3 young kids Nov 2020...not that into SW...not being fresh, serious question.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Haven't been since a child in 1990 when it was MGM studios...is it too simplistic to hope this land (and to a lesser degree avatar land at AK) makes the rest of the park much more tolerable crowd wise? Planning trip with 3 young kids Nov 2020...not that into SW...not being fresh, serious question.
The issue will be how DHS manages the line throng hoards of people waiting to get into SW:GE, especially since they're not doing reserved time slots like DLR... yet, anyway.

SirWillow

Not a chance. When you're bringing in larger crowds to the park, everything in the park is going to be busier. The overflow has to go somewhere, and that will be to the other rides, attractions and shows.

nickys

Premium Member
Not a chance. When you're bringing in larger crowds to the park, everything in the park is going to be busier. The overflow has to go somewhere, and that will be to the other rides, attractions and shows.

What he said ^^^^. Especially with a virtual queue system in effect at least to start. But even afterwards, the park is likely to be far busier. Which will be made worse by the fact there just isn’t the capcity in DHS to eat up the crowds waiting for SW:GE.

justintheharris

Right from the start we all knew what they were putting in for SW wasnt going to be enough. Anyone that had seen the crowds that flocked in for HP, FoP, and others in the past could predict the enormous draw this major fan based land would bring. I dont think Disney is ready for whats to come. It will be like something wev e never seen before in terms of guest demand and guest frustration when they wait or cant get in. Weve dreamt about another park.... well this should have been. Theres so much material they could have drawn from that would have blown all other parks away.
And with the delay of Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, I think Disney has truly lost their marbles and really do not care how miserable Hollywood Studios will be in Late 2019.

justintheharris

So here is my thought: Toy Story Land is crowded, but demand will stabilize after the newness wears off and other attractions come on line. Pandora is an amazingly well done area. Even without the tie to the IP, anyone can appreciate what has been built there. Demand is still high and it would benefit from an expansion/additional attraction, but it can be enjoyed today with good planning.

Star Wars as an IP and land is in an entirely different category. It has 40+ years of history with a solid fan base across those years, and still growing. Demand for access to this land will never decline to a point where demand and capacity are balanced. Another attraction or two will not meet the demand or make the land equivalent in crowd volume to other areas of the parks. IMHO, a 5th gate is fantasy, given the overall infrastructure costs. The only reasonable answer I see is a larger scale version of the Universal Harry Potter model where multiple areas are somehow linked thematically to spread the crowds and add capacity. Even then, I think Star Wars will need to be on a much larger scale than the Universal/Islands of Adventure Harry Potter model.

Given the cost and design/construction timelines. Disney would be foolish not to have some rough ideas outlines for this eventuality. If they don't, they are really behind.

Am I overestimating the crowds/demand/endurance? Am I missing anything on the most likely solutions? It will be very interesting to see what crowds look like 6 month - 1 year after opening. I am not hopeful that delaying a visit will help in a really meaningful way with the crowds.

I did a search of lot of existing Star Wars threads/posts out there. I saw elements of this discussion in various places, but didn't see it specifically addressed from this aspect...forgive me if it has been covered or should be merged into another thread.
If you want my honest opinion, I'm willing to bet Magic Kingdom, EPCOT and Animal Kingdom will all get Star Wars lands too. Disney will somehow make them thematically tie in (to varying degrees of success, of course) so that way, all the Star Wars fanatics need to visit all four parks.

Trackmaster

What he said ^^^^. Especially with a virtual queue system in effect at least to start. But even afterwards, the park is likely to be far busier. Which will be made worse by the fact there just isn’t the capcity in DHS to eat up the crowds waiting for SW:GE.

No, I believe that the FP only system will be in place at Disneyland. HS will be using stand-by ONLY in the beginning for Galaxy's Edge. Its almost like Disney is performing a social experiment to see which system works better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom