Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

KBLovedDisney

While I think what you're suggesting is problematic, I agree with your premise.

Even if it were as simple as letting people run around in Jedi capes and having cast interact differently with those people who have chosen to be "in character" it would be a huge step closer to what they claimed they were going to offer.

But frankly, aliens and cast that aren't in pristine looking uniform-costumes would also be a huge step in that direction.

I can understand there may be some crowd-control issues but it isn't like WDW hasn't pulled this sort of thing off before.

I mean man, where's a talking, moving trash can when you need one? :bored:

hqdefault.jpg

epbots.jpg

55a8bc_8712db818728442ebf360418b89fae1e~mv2.jpg
CTDTR74795986.jpg
ctr892316LARGE.jpg
cf3a86d5e02280fc619ac0fbc52eedcf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Even something like a re-themed Mr. Potato head or Pirates of the Caribbean parrot "barker" or a droid like the ones you see in line for Star Tours would work - and that's all proven tech.

Heck, in our warehouse, my employer has automated robots that roll across the floor using technology similar to the trackless ride system and those interact with people all day long. They stop and start constantly to make sure they're not running over anyone and they are large industrial things carrying literally a ton or more of weight and they've been at it for more than a decade. (and it isn't like Disney would need to have something like this moving around people - have them "servicing" some of those space craft behind barriers in an endless loop to make 'em look less like set pieces and more like actual working vehicles).

It isn't like any of this stuff is new or exotic or even crazy-expensive tech and when the theme is a "droid" to begin with, you don't have to do a ton to spice it up. I mean, those Star Wars droids in the queue checking luggage were originally birds from America Sings like the ones in Splash mountain but without the costume, right?

Bet they've got a closet full of animatronics left over from the Mickey Mouse Review they could just peel the skin right off of and be ready to go with a few LEDs and extra plastic/metal pieces bolted on.

IMHO, I believe TDC has forgotten that those small touches were big impacts on the guest walking around the park that gave them that 'out of the world' feel.

With that being said, bring back the talking trash can dagnabbit!

ImperfectPixie

The costume ban is relatively recent and only because of - get this - a small segment of guests behaving badly. Costumes are actually still allowed for special events - even for adults. If they could establish a set of rules and then actually enforce them, there could be a happy middle ground for costumes in Batuu.

Monorail_Orange

IMHO, I believe TDC has forgotten that those small touches were big impacts on the guest walking around the park that gave them that 'out of the world' feel.

With that being said, bring back the talking trash can dagnabbit!
I have to agree that a redecorated PUSH would be a quick, easy, and relatively cheap add, and should have long since been greenlit for both SW:GE's that would inject some of the fun and whimsy that the lands need WAY more of.

rowrbazzle

The costume ban is relatively recent and only because of - get this - a small segment of guests behaving badly. Costumes are actually still allowed for special events - even for adults. If they could establish a set of rules and then actually enforce them, there could be a happy middle ground for costumes in Batuu.

What Disney allows seems pretty much like a costume to me. I'm honestly surprised they let people go that far.

gsw02934809583405928423423.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...ing-for-your-visit-to-star-wars-galaxys-edge/

KikoKea

I can see them having a SW party upcharge, costumes allowed, something along the lines of the Villains Party this past summer.

ppete1975

While I think what you're suggesting is problematic, I agree with your premise.

Even if it were as simple as letting people run around in Jedi capes and having cast interact differently with those people who have chosen to be "in character" it would be a huge step closer to what they claimed they were going to offer.

But frankly, aliens and cast that aren't in pristine looking uniform-costumes would also be a huge step in that direction.

I can understand there may be some crowd-control issues but it isn't like WDW hasn't pulled this sort of thing off before.

I mean man, where's a talking, moving trash can when you need one? :bored:

hqdefault.jpg

epbots.jpg

55a8bc_8712db818728442ebf360418b89fae1e~mv2.jpg
CTDTR74795986.jpg
ctr892316LARGE.jpg
cf3a86d5e02280fc619ac0fbc52eedcf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Even something like a re-themed Mr. Potato head or Pirates of the Caribbean parrot "barker" or a droid like the ones you see in line for Star Tours would work - and that's all proven tech.

Heck, in our warehouse, my employer has automated robots that roll across the floor using technology similar to the trackless ride system and those interact with people all day long. They stop and start constantly to make sure they're not running over anyone and they are large industrial things carrying literally a ton or more of weight and they've been at it for more than a decade. (and it isn't like Disney would need to have something like this moving around people - have them "servicing" some of those space craft behind barriers in an endless loop to make 'em look less like set pieces and more like actual working vehicles).

It isn't like any of this stuff is new or exotic or even crazy-expensive tech and when the theme is a "droid" to begin with, you don't have to do a ton to spice it up. I mean, those Star Wars droids in the queue checking luggage were originally birds from America Sings like the ones in Splash mountain but without the costume, right?

Bet they've got a closet full of animatronics left over from the Mickey Mouse Review they could just peel the skin right off of and be ready to go with a few LEDs and extra plastic/metal pieces bolted on.
man i had forgotten some of the early epcot robots
thanks for the smiles

doctornick

You cannot compare a ren-faire or comic-con to SWGE. SWGE is part of a multi billion dollar theme park that doesn't and will never in this day in age allow their adult guests to dress up in character. It is a liability for many reasons and even though you may think it "ruins the immersion" to see Chuck and Mary letting their kids run around on Batuu, it is still just a land in a theme park. If you want the ultra immersion that you are seeking, the Star Wars Hotel will fill that need for you.

This. Having full blown Comi-Con type Cosplay in the middle of a busy theme park with "ordinary" guests would be a recipe for disaster. The hotel is tailor made for that situation and will fill that "need".

Disney really dropped the ball in terms of how "immersive" the land is both in terms of streetsmosphere/entertainment and in terms of the promised interactions. But anyone who thought this land was going to be like the convention circuit was jumping to conclusions that were never promised or realistic.

rowrbazzle

Yeah, but this is more towards "Disney-bounding" than it is costumes. The people Disney thought Batuu would attract wouldn't want to tone it down so much.

🤷‍♂️ I don't really get "bounding," but (aside from the dresses) those seem like costumes to me. I guess they're not dressed up as Darth Vader or Kylo Ren, but they're dressed up as people in a Star Wars world. I'd never expect to see anyone dressed like that outside of Star Wars. I really don't think Disney could let more than that pass and I'm surprised they even let that go.

mdcpr

ImperfectPixie

Yet people can pay every year to go in Disneyland and dress up for Halloween, and nothing happens. Harry Potter land has people in robes and no incidents. The park is just exercising poor judgement.

All they have to do is only allow the robes sold in the park to be worn as an adult (no outside costumes). People would love it.
The people Disney thought they would attract with a SW land want to be able to design their own costumes.

Incomudro

Yet people can pay every year to go in Disneyland and dress up for Halloween, and nothing happens. Harry Potter land has people in robes and no incidents. The park is just exercising poor judgement.

All they have to do is only allow the robes sold in the park to be worn as an adult (no outside costumes). People would love it.
Mickey's not so Scary dress up is limited to the kids, it's seasonal - and no one is going to mistake a kid in a costume for a certified Disney Character Actor.

Incomudro

Actually, it's not limited to kids, I checked yesterday and was very pleasantly surprised.

I stand corrected, but I don't believe adults are donning the types of costumes at Not so Scary that might confuse guests into thinking that those people are official Disney costume characters - as could happen with Star Wars Costumes at GE.

ImperfectPixie

I stand corrected, but I don't believe adults are donning the types of costumes at Not so Scary that might confuse guests into thinking that those people are official Disney costume characters - as could happen with Star Wars Costumes at GE.
Well, if they used the same rules that apply to the Halloween Party (no face masks, etc.) I don't think it would be as much of a problem as some people think. I mean, if you think about it, the Halloween party goes on for almost three months of the year.

Incomudro

Yet Universal has sold and allowed people to wear Wizards Robes and Scarves since the land’s opening in both CA and FL and nothing bad happens. The land just looks more lively for it.

How do you know "nothing bad happens?"
The thing about Star Wars costumes, is that many of them would be full face masks, full face helmets, body's in armor.
More elaborate costumes that would blur who is a Disney cast member and who isn't.
That's what Disney doesn't want, and I can't blame them.

The Pho

Many of the Not So Scary costumes are seriously impressive. Some even dress up as cast members with name tags and all.

LukeS7

How do you know "nothing bad happens?"
The thing about Star Wars costumes, is that many of them would be full face masks, full face helmets, body's in armor.
More elaborate costumes that would blur who is a Disney cast member and who isn't.
That's what Disney doesn't want, and I can't blame them.
As someone who's worn full robes at WWoHP with friends multiple times, I think we've been "confused" with cast members only once and it was a family of foreigners who wanted to take a family photo (not one of just their kids) with us, and I don't even know if they thought we were cast members or not. It really isn't an issue

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom