Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

wserratore1963

I like many of you am an annual pass holder. Will DHS follow the same opening as CA? Meaning 4 hour window type of thing or anything for annual pass holders. I have a trip planned for 8/28 -9/3 and wondering how much time i should devote.

voodoo321

Don't forget that Falcon screens are being rendered in real time by 8 Nvidia Graphics cards per cockpit too.
Whatever.
jerk.gif

Keppyslinger

It's not like they're vetting who gets in and who doesn't. Everyone had an equal opportunity to score a reservation.

Or, would you call a restaurant that takes reservations as "controlling access" to their food?
I guess I was thinking about the 4 hour windows that are set aside for resort guests. Isn’t that controlling the flow of traffic? Maybe I misunderstood the arrangement.

drod1985

I like many of you am an annual pass holder. Will DHS follow the same opening as CA? Meaning 4 hour window type of thing or anything for annual pass holders. I have a trip planned for 8/28 -9/3 and wondering how much time i should devote.

Official statements say DHS is not requiring reservations “at this time.” We will most likely open with full access to the land, but they’ll cap the land at a certain point and implement a virtual queue.

Last edited:

Stripes

This ad has been playing on TV a lot recently here in Washington state. I really like this ad a lot better than the previous ones. (Tried to find on YouTube with no success.)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Official statements say DHS is not requiring reservations “at this time.” We will most likely open with full access to the land, but they’ll cap the land at a certain point and implement a virtual queue.

That statement was made as part of the announcement of the reservation process for DL so I assume it was put there so that people didn't think they needed to try to get DHS reservations. I don't think this rules out them deciding to do some sort of reservation system for DHS.

erasure fan1

I can see people being a bit upset with the sizes of the stores and and restaurants. Comparing to Hogsmeade at Universal, it was built with small shops on purpose because it was supposed to replicate the movies. With GE though, there was no reason to make them too small, and I feel like I'll also be someone who gets annoyed with their sizes.
The more I think about it, the more I feel once again we have a missed opportunity with star wars. Too small in the cantina and Savis. No table service (huge miss imo) and no coaster type ride outside. What will be there will be very cool I have no doubt. But I just don't see why they didn't make sure they had more capacity.

the_rich

The more I think about it, the more I feel once again we have a missed opportunity with star wars. Too small in the cantina and Savis. No table service (huge miss imo) and no coaster type ride outside. What will be there will be very cool I have no doubt. But I just don't see why they didn't make sure they had more capacity.

I think savis will be fine over the long term. With the cantina I think they were boxed in, to make it like the movies it couldn't be too big. The table service they should've built. As for an outdoor coaster, I'm glad there isn't one. They did such a good job immersing you in the world and I think that would be too jarring.

durangojim

I think it would be extremely difficult to have a coaster in Galaxy’s Edge. The concept of the land is that you’re in the Star Wars world and I can’t think of any experience except maybe the speeder bikes that would lend itself to a coaster.

erasure fan1

As for an outdoor coaster, I'm glad there isn't one. They did such a good job immersing you in the world and I think that would be too jarring.
The concept of the land is that you’re in the Star Wars world and I can’t think of any experience except maybe the speeder bikes that would lend itself to a coaster.
See, I think thats the same kind of thinking that disney has. The Imagineers are supposed to be the best in the world. I can think of plenty of ideas for a coaster type attraction. No one is asking for a huge steel frame coaster. We've established there are trains, on tracks in star wars. Something similar to the mine train, on a grander scale, would have been epic. With the landscape of black spire being very rocky, it would have been pretty easy to disguise the tracks. I see no reason how it could ruin the visual of immersion. You could enter in black spire and the ride could have out of any sight lines.

the_rich

See, I think thats the same kind of thinking that disney has. The Imagineers are supposed to be the best in the world. I can think of plenty of ideas for a coaster type attraction. No one is asking for a huge steel frame coaster. We've established there are trains, on tracks in star wars. Something similar to the mine train, on a grander scale, would have been epic. With the landscape of black spire being very rocky, it would have been pretty easy to disguise the tracks. I see no reason how it could ruin the visual of immersion. You could enter in black spire and the ride could have out of any sight lines.
Even something along those lines while it may work thematically I think is too simplistic. I feel that every ride in star wars land should be enclosed. They should all push boundaries in some way. I know some people fell SR is just another star tours. But its hook is that you are actually somewhat in control plus the fact that it is rendered in real time. Being able to do that is a serious accomplishment. RotR from all insider accounts looks to be the new standard of theme park rides. The next addition needs to be on that level, something truly epic.

nickys

Premium Member
I think savis will be fine over the long term.

I disagree on this. The line for the ordinary lightsabers at Star Tours is always long. I think Savi’s will be mobbed for years.

Although if they keep the pay before you see and build, that might cut numbers. And are they still insisting only one additional person comes in per purchaser. That actually could really back-fire on them with families. But the hard core fans will be there for years to come.

Markiewong

So basically Black Spire Mountain Railroad?

erasure fan1

I feel that every ride in star wars land should be enclosed. They should all push boundaries in some way.
Why can't a coaster push boundaries? I would say test track did. Im sure I'll like the Falcon ride, but pushing the boundaries would have been actually having the gunner spots along with the pilot being in full control...
No. The area did not need an ugly looking coaster - that would just take you completely out the immersion with it's ugly sight.

Coasters in general appeal to the lowest common denominator and should be purely the reserve of Six Flags and their cheap parks. They have no place in a highly emersive enviroment.
Again, not a steel monstrosity, see my next post. To each their own opinion but for me this is way off base. The only way you would be right is if they slapped another chester and hesters in the middle of black spire. I am no coaster enthusiast, but lowest common denominator? That's just over the top.
So basically Black Spire Mountain Railroad?
I was more refering to the show scenes and theming of 7D mine train as the example. With tech like silent lift hills and launching starts, it could be very well integrated into the land.

I guess I'm the only one who can visualize this and how it could work.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No. The area did not need an ugly looking coaster - that would just take you completely out the immersion with it's ugly sight.

Coasters in general appeal to the lowest common denominator and should be purely the reserve of Six Flags and their cheap parks. They have no place in a highly emersive enviroment.

I can't agree with that. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain and Expedition Everest are some of the most iconic rides at Disney. Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride has it's flaws but it's still an excellent addition to Fantasyland. The new Hagrid coaster and Mummy over at Universal also show the potential of a highly themed coaster.

peter11435

I can't agree with that. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain and Expedition Everest are some of the most iconic rides at Disney. Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride has it's flaws but it's still an excellent addition to Fantasyland. The new Hagrid coaster and Mummy over at Universal also show the potential of a highly themed coaster.
I agree. Although in the case of Star Wars I think the goal was to avoid the rides theme selves from breaking the immersion. So everything is done in a way that it feels completely in world and not like a ride in the world. You are flying the “actual” falcon. In the case of Rise nothing feels like a ride but rather all in world experiences. Which is why trackless was imperative for this experience. I’m not sure a rollercoaster would world have worked the same. As wonderful as Hagrid is, it’s still on a giant visible track.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom