Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

hpyhnt 1000

A Mission to Mars-esque shuttle flight to our destination?

Thought it might be similar to the old Hydrolators (RIP) from The Living Seas. Scaled up a bit and made to look like a stolen First Order transport ship, perhaps?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Atmospheric_Assault_Lander

Taking this further, since @marni1971 indicates that most of the ride will take place in the same location, lets say it will be on a star destroyer. A hydrolator-esque transition would be an ideal way to keep people divided into their "teams" for the ride. Walk through the line, move into the pre-show where you're grouped and briefed on the mission, head to the "hydrolator" transport ship to get to the star destroyer, then a quick walk from the transport to the ride vehicle.

Yes...? No...? Anyone?

RSD Part Deux

They also said that it's due to open in Cali in 2019 and Florida later that same year.

Is that news? I always thought that the company line was that they both were opening simultaneously.

Rteetz

They also said that it's due to open in Cali in 2018 and Florida later that same year.

Is that news? I always thought that the company line was that they both were opening simultaneously.
2019 not 2018. It was announced at D23 that DLR would open theirs in time for the next D23 Expo which would be by July 2019 and WDW's would open later that year.

DisneyWorld30th

There are obviously lots of posts to read but I have two comments

1. Why doesn't Disney build things quicker? Why not have three shifts to open this sooner? This will be a cash cow when it opens.

2. Why did they decide to build identical lands on each coast? Why didn't they opt to have Disneyland be one experience and at WDW a different one? If they were different, Star Wars fans would be more willing to travel a great distance to see the other one. If I lived in Florida, I wouldn't travel to CA specifically to see the exact same experience in Florida.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

1. Why doesn't Disney build things quicker? Why not have three shifts to open this sooner? This will be a cash cow when it opens.

2. Why did they decide to build identical lands on each coast? Why didn't they opt to have Disneyland be one experience and at WDW a different one? If they were different, Star Wars fans would be more willing to travel a great distance to see the other one. If I lived in Florida, I wouldn't travel to CA specifically to see the exact same experience in Florida.
1. When you are using cash to build with, it looks better on the books to spread it across multiple quarters. Building fast also costs more as both second and third shifts are often paid more. Adding that second and third shift is also not always possible. Florida, along with a good bit of the rest of the country, has a serious construction labor shortage right now. I have a number of customers that have lots clear with houses sold for them and it is taking them weeks to months to get labor to put them together.

2. Only the mouse knows the real reasons, but the obvious one is building the same thing on both coasts allows them to spread design costs across 2 projects.

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
also building the same on both coasts means once they are both complete they will have all the knowledge from building them and can then put them at the other Disneyland's around the world cheaper and quicker.

Amidala

Don't know nearly enough about construction to speak to the first point, but definitely sympathize with you on the second. I know WDW and DLR will always differ b/c DLR has DCA and WDW has DAK, Epcot and DHS, but I think there's something to be said for making even "cloned" shows, attractions and lands distinct from each other based on location. Like you said, that's what will bring a WDW regular to DLR and vice versa.

Realistically, though, I'm guessing two separate lands would require double the R&D, and that might cut into some other current or upcoming projects. If anything, like I've said before, I would rather keep the two SW:GE clones in exchange for a more immersive theming and higher quality attractions at TSL.

Brian Swan

Short answer to both: money. The length of the build time allows them to spread the cost over more years. It's much cheaper to build the same land twice than to build two separate lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom