Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Next Big Thing

I'd bet money that Marvel is going to find its way into the park in the next few years.
I honestly don't want any potentially big IP forced into a retheme of an existing attraction like Star Tours. While Star Tours has incredible capacity, have we not learned anything from Frozen? Big IPs deserve purpose built areas, not squeezed into existing spaces.

I say bulldoze the building and build something new if it has to go.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
That is not the IP they are looking at.

Good. Is Muppets in the mix?

I'd bet money that Marvel is going to find its way into the park in the next few years.

Well, Japan is turning their motion simulator into a Finding Nemo theme, so there's that option, and Hong Kong is getting the Iron Man ride with the same/similar ride system. I really like the idea of a Muppets theme given how close it is to Muppets Courtyard...

If they can't/don't incorporate Star Tours into SWL, then Studios would have the same "out of place" Star Tours issue that Disneyland would have and , if they dont use the Nemo or Iron Man options, I could see them converting both systems into the same ride theme... In which case Muppets may not be the option... UNLESS they make it "Pigs In Space" themed (which could be pretty amazing)...

Pam Hates Penguins

I honestly don't want any potentially big IP forced into a retheme of an existing attraction like Star Tours. While Star Tours has incredible capacity, have we not learned anything from Frozen? Big IPs deserve purpose built areas, not squeezed into existing spaces.

But don't make it another simulator.

roj2323

I don't think Star tours is going anywhere. If anything it will stay as a stand alone attraction for at least another 8-10 years. I was talking more in regards to the INDY area.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

The two biggest complaints against Frozen are that it doesn't fit the theme of the pavilion it's in, and that it won't have sufficient capacity. Neither of these would likely be an issue with a Star Tours re-theme.

Wikkler

Uh, no. You still don't get it.

Smithsonian would be good. Disney Springs if it gets an enclosure. Presidio if there is space. Air Force Museum if the plane model was developed by the Air Force. DCA as the final possibility. Hanging in the new multi-model station at MCO. Just thought of that.
It's always Smithsonian with you, isn't it?

Next Big Thing

The two biggest complaints against Frozen are that it doesn't fit the theme of the pavilion it's in, and that it won't have sufficient capacity. Neither of these would likely be an issue with a Star Tours re-theme.
Neither would, you're right. But I also don't want them to force an IP into an existing ride system (which may not be suited to the IP) just for the sake of saving money and getting the IP into the parks.

SirLink

There are literally 10 IPs in the world that can get away with lands, the rest should be built in thematic cohesive areas a la Frontierland, Fantasyland

SirLink

I would expect more Pixar in fact.

For a ST retheme ... that isn't on the cards, it is down to a plan a/b/c for ST ... keep it/retheme to IP1/retheme to IP 2. I know it wouldn't be anymore Pixar properties out of what was discussed for phase 3 which seems now that it would be in fact phase 4 for that if they do... but who knows they year will be interesting.

Next Big Thing

There are literally 10 IPs in the world that can get away with lands, the rest so b built in thematic cohesive areas a la Frontierland, Fantasyland
I agree, i'm not calling for a land.

Look at Universal right now for instance. They completely tore out two existing buildings (Twister, Disaster) so that they could build purpose built rides for the IP. That's what I mean.

jhendrix

Any chance that Star Wars and TSL are just the start of "lands" at DHS and not really lands unto themselves? Could they still be different "Studios" - making the name truer than ever, "Disney's Hollywood Studios" (Hollywood Studios owned by Disney)
  1. Pixar Studio, featuring Toy Story and perhaps two other films.
  2. Lucas Films, featuring Star Wars, plus an Indiana Jones ride and the existing stunt show.
  3. Marvel Entertainment, featuring Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6
  4. Jim Henson Co., featuring the Muppets
It wouldn't take that much more effort to do this.

SirLink

I agree, i'm not calling for a land.

Look at Universal right now for instance. They completely tore out two existing buildings (Twister, Disaster) so that they could build purpose built rides for the IP. That's what I mean.

Nah it will be rebranded I'm surprised the MK doesn't have a simulator ride though.

SirLink

Any chance that Star Wars and TSL are just the start of "lands" at DHS and not really lands unto themselves? Could they still be different "Studios" - making the name truer than ever, "Disney's Hollywood Studios" (Hollywood Studios owned by Disney)
  1. Pixar Studio, featuring Toy Story and perhaps two other films.
  2. Lucas Films, featuring Star Wars, plus an Indiana Jones ride and the existing stunt show.
  3. Marvel Entertainment, featuring Guardians of the Galaxy and Big Hero 6
  4. Jim Henson Co., featuring the Muppets
It wouldn't take that much more effort to do this.

One no ... Two BH6 in terms of the film is classed and branded as a WDAS property so not Marvel. They are trying to get away with the whole Studio concept wholesale.

Next Big Thing

I'd have to guess BH6 would be the leading candidate to replace it, but then again you said Pixar. So maybe Up or Ratatouille (there's already existing footage they can use from Paris).

RSoxNo1

Neither would, you're right. But I also don't want them to force an IP into an existing ride system (which may not be suited to the IP) just for the sake of saving money and getting the IP into the parks.
A simulator attraction like Star Tours is the perfect thing to retheme. The park is getting an overhaul and the theme could be literally anything. This isn't a great argument about shoehorning something. Forcing IPs literally anywhere else on property would be more problematic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom