Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - The Dark Side

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Registered for 2018 Dark Side 5k and Dark Side Challenge through DVC. Will miss 2018 Light Side since I am doing the WDW Marathon the weekend before.

If they don't open registration for the Light Side soon, we may all miss it. Over 2 months postponement and still not a peep. I was thinking we might have received an update once Tinkerbell was completed. Any educated guesses?

RunningKoen

They have renamed the challenge on the runDisney site.

It's the First Order challenge according to this link.

Come to the First Order, we have cookies & a medal sounds slightly less appealing to be honest.

RunningKoen

Well the challenge medal in 2017 is linked to both half marathon distances, not directly to the Light Side and Dark Side challenge or as we should call them, the Resistance or First Order challenges. Unless they wanna change the name of the entire weekend.

I am, for several reasons, very curious about the 2018 challenge program and some planned weekends. I expect a update on those within 6 - 8 weeks.

LizaMarie89

So jealous of that surprise!

We are staying at Old Key West and I'm doing the challenge. Can't remember if I posted that or not. Going with some folks who are doing their first Disney races. They're running the 5k and I'm running the 10k with one of them.

Hate the name change for the challenge but so curious as to why it was made.

RunningKoen

runDisney added a virtual half marathon (till end of march), so people can still get a kessel run challenge medal.
All you have to do is complete the virtual half marathon and the dark side in April.

Buy your medals, I mean, join the races, over here

Edit: 5 minutes later and I'm registered. Oops. I did it again. 70 dollar for a plastic medal.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Medals.

IMG_20180103_093527.jpg

Phroobar

So you are basically paying $70 for a plastic medal without having to really do anything. Maybe all of Disney's races should be virtual and 'run' at their new VR reality stores.

RunningKoen

So you are basically paying $70 for a plastic medal without having to really do anything. Maybe all of Disney's races should be virtual and 'run' at their new VR reality stores.

These sort of replies and the discussion about virtual running has already been done after two editions of the summer series. Nothing new really, you're just really late with trashing it.

Phroobar

These sort of replies and the discussion about virtual running has already been done after two editions of the summer series. Nothing new really, you're just really late with trashing it.
Sorry but the west coast doesn't hear about these kinds of things. DLR has been having trouble with the city of Anaheim over running our half marathons. It sounds like the perfect middle finger to Anaheim. "We'll just run our marathons virtually with out you.".

RunningKoen

Sorry but the west coast doesn't hear about these kinds of things. DLR has been having trouble with the city of Anaheim over running our half marathons. It sounds like the perfect middle finger to Anaheim. "We'll just run our marathons virtually with out you.".

You're just here to rant, aren't you? Complaining about virtual running because runDisney cancelled DLR races?

I was planning for Superheroes '18/ Coast to coast '18 so I know all about the problems with races at DLR. runDisney made several, enormous errors in communicating about cancelling those races. However, you cannot claim that 'the west coast doesn't here about these kinds of things'. You just didn't check their site or social media. Virtual running have been announced over there and available for everyone. Including west coast.
The summer series have been there for two years. Listed as an event on their site, registration at active, promoted on social media, and so far, so good. To be honest, communication and organisation of the virtual running series is easier than the entire rundisney Paris thing.

This actually would be the 3th time runDisney uses virtual running, so they didn't start with virtual running to give the west coast a perfect middle finger. The summer series are an even bigger 'buy you medal fest', where you can do 3 5km runs and get a 4th challenge medal for doing all three, so this virtual running half marathon is actually rather nice. I'm doing this one, while I've never had any interest in those 5Ks.

I'll have to admit that this an easy fix for the kessel run problem, after the light side was cancelled while some people joined the dark side weekend just for the challenge. In my opinion, that's all there is to rant about this event.

Phroobar

You're just here to rant, aren't you? Complaining about virtual running because runDisney cancelled DLR races?

I was planning for Superheroes '18/ Coast to coast '18 so I know all about the problems with races at DLR. runDisney made several, enormous errors in communicating about cancelling those races. However, you cannot claim that 'the west coast doesn't here about these kinds of things'. You just didn't check their site or social media. Virtual running have been announced over there and available for everyone. Including west coast.
The summer series have been there for two years. Listed as an event on their site, registration at active, promoted on social media, and so far, so good. To be honest, communication and organisation of the virtual running series is easier than the entire rundisney Paris thing.

This actually would be the 3th time runDisney uses virtual running, so they didn't start with virtual running to give the west coast a perfect middle finger. The summer series are an even bigger 'buy you medal fest', where you can do 3 5km runs and get a 4th challenge medal for doing all three, so this virtual running half marathon is actually rather nice. I'm doing this one, while I've never had any interest in those 5Ks.

I'll have to admit that this an easy fix for the kessel run problem, after the light side was cancelled while some people joined the dark side weekend just for the challenge. In my opinion, that's all there is to rant about this event.
Why are you jumping down my throat? I just heard about this. Be nice.

LizaMarie89

Why does it matter if it's virtual or not if you're going out and logging the miles? Would I rather run at the theme park? Yes. But if this is my only opportunity for the Kessel, as I'm already registered for the First Order Challenge, am I going to take it? Yes.

If 'buying' a medal helps motivate me to go run so be it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom