Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Summary and Predictions

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
DEwGUfGU0AAW0mF.jpg

Star Wars and Disney fans around the world are waiting on baited breath for what is to come when Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge and the new planet, Batuu, opens in both Disneyland and Disney's Hollywood Studios.

This project will seek to summarize as much of what we know so far (thanks to the wonderful insiders of the forum who will be cited) - and after the research is presented, the rest of the thread will offer an opportunity to make some armchair imagineering predictions based on those findings, as a way to build up anticipation for the lands!

I'd like to sincerely thank some of our forum insiders for their invaluable contributions and insight;
@marni1971, @Magic Feather, @JediMasterMatt - (they'll be cited m71, mf, jmm respectively regarding specific project info they have posted.) As well as anyone else who has shared images, insight, etc

----------------

The Lands - An Overview
ZZ71516B78.jpg

Since Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland is a few months ahead of Disney's Hollywood Studios - we'll start with a basic mock up of that land and its 14 acre footprint within Disneyland park. Onto Disney's Hollywood Studios...

star%2Bwars.jpg

A concept sketch based on the D23 model shown off July. (Approx to scale)

star%2Bwars%2Bmap.jpg

Batuu
batuu-tall-1088x816.jpg

Located on the edge of wild space, this remote outpost is home to all those who are seeking adventure and opportunity - pilots, smugglers, rogue traders, and bounty hunters traveling between the frontier and uncharted space. This thriving space port is also a convenient safe haven for all others hoping to avoid the expanding reach of the First Order.
- Courtesy of Walt Disney Imagineering

In-Land Content

The lands on each coast are at different angles within their respective parks, and aerial images have led to theories/debates in several outlets of the forum about whether one coast's version is larger than the other - the land content is...identical, aside from the third entry to the land that the Disneyland version has (Hollywood Studios version only has two), and other minor differences such as queue layouts. (m71)

How Will Walking Through The Land Feel?
Galaxy's Edge will feel both large and cramped. The marketplace has enough alleyways and nooks and crannies to feel both huge and small at the same time. (m71) There is a contrast between two sides of the land. On one side, long, winding paths through a wood-ish area, with a small outpost, before continuing into the main civilized/village hub, where almost everything else is located. (mf) On paper, the amount of space being used is very big; but, remember - the land has two big E-tickets and they take up considerable space. The actual guest accessible areas should feel bigger than Pandora as they are more akin to Diagon Alley for the most part with lots of nooks and crevices to get lost in. Galaxy's Edge will feel more vertical than horizontal just from the closer sight-lines. (jmm)​

Attractions
Battle Escape (Codename: Alcatraz) - an LPS dark ride attraction
Millennium Falcon (Codename: Big Bird) - simulator attraction

Restaurants
Cantina - Table Service Restaurant (m71)
'Pod Racer Engine' (called that due to concept art) Quick Service Restaurant (mf)

Shopping, Streetmosphere, Entertainment
Build a Light$abre, See and Buy Space Junk Experience (mf) Build a droid. And several other merch locations, from shops to carts in the village. Alcatraz has another two carts. Expect a lot (m71)

The streetmosphere is one of the intriguing things about the project. Scott's group is keen for this to be one of the difference makers between it and his last project (Potter) as his hands were tied by Rowling in some aspects of what they wanted to do (story telling). It's quite ambitious in nature with a steady influx of performers (human, droid, and alien) participating and role playing. The goal is for it serve as the anchor (with other guest's in their Star Wars-y purchased attire helping to augment this) in creating the renaissance fair in space vibe they are going for in the land.

If all this sounds expensive and complex, it will be... and that's why I'm afraid of the long term operational lifespan of this part of the project - especially in Florida. Florida will have an unfortunately easy path out as they can use the climate as an excuse (hot/humid/rainy). (jmm)

------------

In the next post, we will dive into the details regarding the two main attractions, Alcatraz and Big Bird.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Battle Escape
(Codename: Alcatraz)
upload_2017-7-13_19-40-52-png.215429

Synopsis
An E-Ticket attraction that puts guests right in the middle of a battle on a Star Destroyer between the First Order and the Resistance.

From D23 Announcement:
"Where we find the Resistance, the First Order is usually not far away, and that means, Kylo Ren. I wonder what, or who, he is after."
- Scott Trowbridge

r-1500187655-IMG_8714.JPG

Queue
- Very elaborate. Very long. Fully immersive, a story that tells itself as you progress and one or two very clever tricks. (m71)
- The majority of the queue will be inside the show building on both coasts.The actual ride space will use about half the show building. Other half is the queue, preshows, vehicle maintenance. (m71) The queue / preshow(s) will tend to blur into one. Dare say the experience could surpass Forbidden Journey for detail, scale and..... things to see.

- The queue to the trip up to the Destroyer to the actual ride vehicle will certainly cause a new debate on "where does the ride begin" (jmm) because of...

- A queue scene on par, but with more of an impact, than the Haunted mansion stretching room or Journey to the Center of the Earth elevators (m71, jmm)

- How the journey to the Destroyer happens isn't as important as how effective it is in creating the reveal - which should be spectacular. Guests should feel just like Poe Dameron as he steps into the docking bay for the first time in the Force Awakens. Complete with jaw slacked and necks turning to take it all in.(jmm)
poe.JPG

- The actual "ride" part of the attraction is certainly when you are already on board the Destroyer; but, the actual attraction starts the scene before and your trip to the main event. (jmm)

Ride Vehicles
DEqarZRUIAAqVa5.jpg

DEqatWuUAAETszm.jpg

- LPS trackless system
- A little Honey Hunt and a bit of Gringotts. With a bit of Transformers for good measure. There's good reason this ride is LPS.
- Ride paths are pre-determined. The ride system will give the appearance of some randomness. It won't all be like an alley or a street as seen in Transformers for example. (m71)

Load/Unload Area
- The ride will have separate load and unload areas
- Eight load platforms. Probably Two cars dispatched at once. Eight guests per car. (m71)

Ride-Through
33.jpg

31.jpg

- Attraction takes place on two levels
- The majority of the ride will take place in the same location. (Star Destroyer)
- Will have a lot of screens. Think Spider-Man, but with more physical sets to complement the screens.
- There's just two AT-ATs and they're in a full height show scene.
- The ride-vehicles will be doing a lot of stop-starting during the ride for various reasons. (m71)
IMG_2411.jpg

--Image from Reddit--

phi2134: so im guessing there is a big reveal when those elevator doors open or there is a jaw dropping view of the at-ats either going up or down in the elevator?

marni1971: I'm sayin' nuttin'.

star-wars-galaxys-edge-5.jpg

Attraction Summary
(Approximate)
by @Jones14
Mix of screens and AA's around a trackless vehicle with more motion than Ratatouille/Mystic Manor. Rumors that have flown about are that it will be more than 6 minutes long, have 150 AA's (of varying degrees of motion and complexity), have Rathtar AA's, have AT-AT's, elevators that the ride vehicle travels on, a droid onboard your vehicle, and it will be their next attempt to blow your socks off.

-------------

Millennium Falcon
(Codename: Big Bird)
starwarslandconcept_002-1500x844.jpg

sadkjhr87960908.jpg

"What is the Falcon Experience Like?"
Millennium Falcon for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is what 'Hogwarts Express' is for Diagon Alley, but should be pulled off much better as a whole package than Hogwarts Express. (jmm) The majority of money is definitely going into Alcatraz. It will be "the Star Wars ride". (mf)

The actual ride experience (the part in the ride vehicle) isn't the "big deal".

The 'big deal' is how the how whole thing ties together. Guests will have the experience of going into a spaceport, walking through a hanger and actually going into the Falcon, walking through a part of it and then sitting down in one of those iconic seats and taking flight. You will actually get the feeling of stepping through the classic ship and taking her for a spin. Even if you are not a fan, you will still be impressed by how they will make the magic happen with this. (jmm)

The Millennium Falcon ride itself will be good; but, it's only a piece of the puzzle. It brings a bit more to the table than what you'd expect; but, don't go into it thinking the time spent in the ride vehicle will be the greatest ride ever. At the end of the day it's still just a motion simulator... just a very advanced and extremely detailed one. (jmm)

Falcon is a multi level building (the ride system chambers are floor to roof in height) - the vast majority of it will be queue / preshows / ride systems.

The Falcon prop is 80ft wide. 100ft nose to tail. This is not part of the ride or the preshow. (m71)​

Ride System
upload_2017-8-28_8-12-34.png

- Entering from the queue, there will be 2 hallways each have 2 branches leading to the 4 turntables.
- Each turntable will have 7 simulation pods - you enter at position #1 and exit at position #7.
- You should never be able to see any other group getting on or off the ride... it should seem as if only your group got on the Millennium Falcon.
- The rotating system is purely to increase capacity, not for effect.
- The turntables will start-stop to accommodate load and unload. Imperceptibly in theory. (m71)
While the transition will be done convincingly, I doubt it will be enough to appeal to the super Star Wars fanboy. (mf)
- What happens if loading takes longer than expected? There is supposedly a "buffer" looping animations built to account for any load/unload timing issues. Specifically, time at rest and time in motion.
- There are 6 people per simulation pod, likely to be one driver and 5 gunners. (m71)
- So everyone is not the pilot? Unknown for sure, but doesn't seem to be so. - Even if that is the case...just remember that the Millennium Falcon not always the most cooperative lady to keep running. Everyone on board should be kept busy enough. (jmm)
star-wars-land-millenium-falcon-ride.jpg

image.jpg

- Each simulator will have its own wrap around screen with four projectors. In theory not only will the action seem "outside" and behind the window frames as opposed to on it, but as you move around there should be parallax shift between the frame and the screen. You should also be able to look up and not look off the screen.
- Motion base will be same 3-axis system as Star Tours.
- The intimacy of half a dozen people, a smaller sized motion base still with 3 axis of motion and the screen system will really add to the experience.

Attraction Summary
The majority of money is going into Alcatraz. It will be "the Star Wars ride".(mf) The key phrase is that Millennium Falcon is "exactly what you'd expect". Don't let your imaginations run wild with it (save that for Alcatraz). What you probably aren't going to be expecting is how close to the mark WDI is going to come to giving you the experience of taking a trip on that iconic ship. Giving people exactly what they expect/want is a great thing. (jmm)

Additional Credits to @MisterPenguin 's Rumor and Timeline Tracker

D Hulk

Nice predictions and detail. Not too far off from the impressions I’ve gotten of this land.

Star Wars is a behemoth concept to summarize in a single land. What are the crucial Star Wars activities we all must do? Flying the Falcon certainly is one. I like the “build a lightsaber” shop, and feel increasing guest interactivity with lightsabers and blasters (in an attraction) would be crucial.

Batuu’s timeline doesn’t really allow for guests to train with Yoda (like in a more animatronic and setpiece heavy version of Turtle Talk), but developing Force powers alongside a Jedi master is another crucial experience.

Sure, there’s always more ride vehicle options - speeder bikes, pod racers, tauntauns, Quidditch brooms - but I think letting guests play out their own version of the Hero’s Journey much like Luke or Han or Leia is essential.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Nice predictions and detail. Not too far off from the impressions I’ve gotten of this land.

Star Wars is a behemoth concept to summarize in a single land. What are the crucial Star Wars activities we all must do? Flying the Falcon certainly is one. I like the “build a lightsaber” shop, and feel increasing guest interactivity with lightsabers and blasters (in an attraction) would be crucial.

Batuu’s timeline doesn’t really allow for guests to train with Yoda (like in a more animatronic and setpiece heavy version of Turtle Talk), but developing Force powers alongside a Jedi master is another crucial experience.

Sure, there’s always more ride vehicle options - speeder bikes, pod racers, tauntauns, Quidditch brooms - but I think letting guests play out their own version of the Hero’s Journey much like Luke or Han or Leia is essential.
Definitely!

There was also this 3rd attraction announced. I didn't include it because it got cut, but it was essentially a peoplemover around the land on a bantha.
ZZ5611BC94-700x461.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/third-star-wars-land-ride-bantha/

D Hulk

Definitely!

There was also this 3rd attraction announced. I didn't include it because it got cut, but it was essentially a peoplemover around the land on a bantha.
ZZ5611BC94-700x461.jpg

http://www.slashfilm.com/third-star-wars-land-ride-bantha/
Seems a really cool idea, though I’m sure the expense of creating a fleet of trackless rideable animatronics made it improbable.

That article mentions an expansion pad (in DHS at least) for a 3rd attraction to be based on Ep. IX. Hard to guess about what that might be...Maybe we’ll get to battle an AA Kylo Ren with lightsabers!

How likely would it be for Disney to do like Diagon Alley and create additional Star Wars lands in other parks? Transport would be a challenge.

I want a Hoth Hotel where we sleep inside a tauntaun!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Seems a really cool idea, though I’m sure the expense of creating a fleet of trackless rideable animatronics made it improbable.

That article mentions an expansion pad (in DHS at least) for a 3rd attraction to be based on Ep. IX. Hard to guess about what that might be...Maybe we’ll get to battle an AA Kylo Ren with lightsabers!

How likely would it be for Disney to do like Diagon Alley and create additional Star Wars lands in other parks? Transport would be a challenge.

Porg Encounter? :p

I agree it would make sense to follow Diagon Alley with the thought that...why not just have one park admission - when you can get two? Though the only park I could really see it going in would be Animal Kingdom, though unlike Avatar, Star Wars has no message of environmental protection or wildlife. I'm sure they could revolve a story around it somehow, with Endor, Kashyyyk, Naboo etc in the universe, similar to Batuu they could create a new planet...maybe with an enphasis of nature and wildlife protection. Though then again having two 'planets' other than earth in Animal Kingdom might seem a bit redundant.

As for access - I hope there is some sort of neat transport from the Star Wars boutique hotel located close-by to Galaxy's Edge. I'm really curious how involved the Role Playing aspect will be and how the resort will take shape.
Star%2BWars%2Bhotel%2Bsmall%2B2-ed.jpg

star-wars-hotel-room-xlarge.jpg

Disney Dad 3000

The one hotel that prides itself on smelling worse on the inside.

I would imagine they'll be tripping over themselves to find a way to add more SW when they see what this does to DHS. Part of me wishes they'd just gone all out and made a whole park of it but I can see the sense of it too in putting it in another park to spread the crowd and get die hards in multiple parks.

Playing the Iger crazy game, I would think MK is def out though who knows. As space said I suppose they could make up another planet that has some type of nature/animal symmetry and work that into a story for AK. It also wouldnt shock me to see them rip a pavilion or two out of Epcot and stick it there.
By ripping out TT and Odyssey they would get 8-9 acres I think. They could put their Peter Quill "magic" on it, and build something Coruscant like, for FW architecture purposes and have it be a place for all the representatives of the galaxy. Just make that entire side space related.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
So what about Star Tours?
For at least when Galaxy's Edge opens and probably for a few years after, Star Tours is safe. And just recently they now have the finally scene landing in Batuu (next to the quick service restaurant)

After that say 5 years from now or so...it may still remain or be converted into something else. All depends but for now it's there.

D Hulk

For at least when Galaxy's Edge opens and probably for a few years after, Star Tours is safe. And just recently they now have the finally scene landing in Batuu (next to the quick service restaurant)

After that say 5 years from now or so...it may still remain or be converted into something else. All depends but for now it's there.

I think that’s just the case in DHS. Over here in Disneyland it’s too far removed from Galaxy’s Edge, and there’s some rumor about temporarily switching it to Hong Kong’s Iron Man Experience (aka Stark Tours) before DCA’s Marvel Land then makes it a problem again. Or maybe they’ll let it stand until Tomorrowland gets its next long overdue upgrade.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I think that’s just the case in DHS. Over here in Disneyland it’s too far removed from Galaxy’s Edge, and there’s some rumor about temporarily switching it to Hong Kong’s Iron Man Experience (aka Stark Tours) before DCA’s Marvel Land then makes it a problem again. Or maybe they’ll let it stand until Tomorrowland gets its next long overdue upgrade.
I think if anything you're right it has more of a chance surviving long term in DHS than DL because of the location. And absolutely short term because DHS will need extra attractions like Star Tours for the volume of guests sure to be in a park with so few attractions.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
In talking about a 3rd attraction before, that reminded me of a competition project we did last year. We had to design a villains based attraction for Galaxy's Edge so we made a bounty hunters attraction.

I'd post the whole project but it's way too long so I'll just give the highlights

Some great video work by @englanddg

Art from @KingOfEpicocity
full

full

And an amazing gallery of characters and designs by @FigmentPigments !
full

full

full

full

Here's the full attraction:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ason-13-get-a-clue.914875/page-7#post-7313973

D Hulk

In talking about a 3rd attraction before, that reminded me of a competition project we did last year. We had to design a villains based attraction for Galaxy's Edge so we made a bounty hunters attraction.

I'd post the whole project but it's way too long so I'll just give the highlights

Some great video work by @englanddg

Art from @KingOfEpicocity
full

full

And an amazing gallery of characters and designs by @FigmentPigments !
full

full

full

full

Here's the full attraction:
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...ason-13-get-a-clue.914875/page-7#post-7313973

That @FigmentPigments is talented! Like the bounty hunter concept.

Another possibility would be the Hutts! Batuu is a smuggler planet, so it’s a natural setting for intergalactic gangsters, one of Jabba’s family members in a unique-yet-similar palace. Imagine watching the exotic band in the Hutt’s rumpus room. An AA encounter with a Rancor. A stunt show on a sailing barge set before Batuu’s version of a Salacc pit. And with land’s LARP/Ren Faire vibe, we’re Resistance members infiltrating for the sake of a heist.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
With Star Wars: The Last Jedi hitting theaters in just a few days - I thought it would be fun to lead up to it with some of our favorite moments from the past 8 Star Wars theatrical films.

Today's Question is...

What's your favorite(s) musical score from the Star Wars films?

I got two favorites - Across the Stars from Attack of the Clones, and Rey's Theme from The Force Awakens. For all the bombastic, loud action symphonies, these two are some of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard in cinema let alone Star Wars.

bclane

With Star Wars: The Last Jedi hitting theaters in just a few days - I thought it would be fun to lead up to it with some of our favorite moments from the past 8 Star Wars theatrical films.

Today's Question is...

What's your favorite(s) musical score from the Star Wars films?

I got two favorites - Across the Stars from Attack of the Clones, and Rey's Theme from The Force Awakens. For all the bombastic, loud action symphonies, these two are some of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard in cinema let alone Star Wars.

There's just too much pure awesome sauce to narrow it down to a few favorites for me. It really depends on my mood and what I'm doing at the time. However, I was just listening to Duel of the Fates (totally EPIC) and wishing the movie was as good as the incredible score that Williams put together for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom