News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

StarWarsGirl

Report:

We entered the park at around 4:15 pm. SWGE was open. We had monitored the status of the land and the other attractions in the park throughout the day before heading over.

Once we got in the land, it took a bit to figure out where we were going. It's definitely larger than both Pandora and TSL. My younger brother has autism, so we went up to get one for MFSR. You have to be in the land to get a DAS, so it functions like a regular DAS in that respect. If the land refills to capacity, those with a DAS may still enter during their return time. This didn't happen to us. This was very difficult to find out. Guest experience CMs should have been more knowledgeable. Words of wisdom to people who have kids with autism: don't assign them as one of the pilots. For eventually when the FP line opens (since we've been through it) you won't see as much of the queue scenery. You still get to hang out in the Falcon, though. It merges right before Hondo's scene. By the way, amazing audio anamatronic work on Hondo. I thought it was an actor at first.

We wandered through a bunch of the shops and explored. We did not eat, but I did buy myself some souvenirs. There's quite a bit of merchandise that's exclusive to the land, so it's fun to window shop even if you don't buy.

The scenery is incredible. Obviously, I am a big SW fan, but my parents, who are not (my father hasn't even watched a SW movie ever) appreciated it. Not as much as me; I was grinning ear to ear, but they enjoyed it.

My parents and brother were also here for TSL's opening. This opening was better. The virtual queue to enter really helped with crowds. Although the wait was long for the ride, I do believe Disney made the right call on not offering FPs. The queue has been long, but other than when it was at capacity, the line was not insane.

Other areas of the park have had low crowds. It's been a very good afternoon. We were even able to snag a last minute ADR.

Overall, very happy with the land so far and cannot wait for Rise of the Resistance.

Has anyone used the Play Disney app to interact with stuff in the land?
I have it was egh...
slicing the pads on the walls is kinda fun but I wish more happened that a couple of blinking lights
Tuning into the antennas was more interactive as the antenna made a bunch of noise, and had lights blinking, but you had to read the transcript of what the conversation was
The language translator would be cool if you could scan and read right now you have to punch in each letter by hand. Ain't no one got time for that.
Scanning the boxes to see what's in them is a neat concept but shallow overall
So overall it's a great concept that's a little lacking in kenetic energy, and purpose... kind of like the land itself ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
70 min wait for 7 Dwarves is practically dead. Re the storm, it's anecdotal but I know several people who rescheduled their trips because of Dorian. I suspect this has been a common thing. Even though it's 3 days away, if you have an extended trip you may decide to reschedule to avoid 2-3 days of your trip being a washout.

I'm only commenting on two specific things,.which I think are reasonable even for someone who hasn't seen the land:

1) They shouldn't have cheapened out on the entertainment and extras, like drones, etc.
2) The fact that it's set in the timeframe that it is is exciting to me and make me want to visit the land.

I don't see how those particular opinions are predicated on seeing the land or not....?
Fair points...and generally I like you even with that “dust habit”...

But I think you want to see It. It changed some of preconceptions...some for better, a few for worse.
You forgot ToT
the one opened in 1993?
Because all summer long many of us had assumed that the Disneyland experience would not be repeated at DHS.

Star Wars Land at DHS appears to be doing the exact same thing, if not even more due to the dramatic difference in overall park capacity at DHS compared to Disneyland Park. But let's tune in again in three weeks and see what is happening at DHS on Saturday, September 21st.
temporary amnesia is a real struggle in “our community” and my team of scientists are working hard on a cure...now that they stopped working on the PCQ for the Brazil pavilion...they just were sitting around and play call of duty all day 😡
Putting opening day aside and talking more generally...the opening of the main attraction will go a long way. But I think they will need to get up on the live entertainment/streetmosphere thing by no later than December as well.
your stance has officially become the “Alamo” today. If there isn’t a flood of people “hiding in wait” for the second ride - which isn’t realistic based on how far out most travelers plan (works better for Disneyland) - then people just aren’t interested in the new Star Wars in parks.

Say it with me: “I.P. PROBLEM.”
RE the wait times...Smuggler's Run also doesn't have FP+ yet...so there's also that to take into consideration...no?
Only if you think fast pass precook doesn’t artificially drive up wait times by having people prebook things they may not want and may not use...which it actually does.
I am more interested in seeing where we are in January....
even better idea...and not one of the upsell weekends
Love the fact that you said "MGM".
Real fans stay true 😎

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hey guys TP is back to bash SWGE again...is anyone really that surprised...
It would be easier to make him disinterested if more people would show up for the thing...

It can’t be the Star Wars franchise...that thing is stronger than ever...
And it can’t be Disney’s pricing...because I’ve heard it’s still “underpriced” and people would pay “a lot more” to have the luxury smaller crowds.

Hmmmm🤔

TP2000

Hey guys TP is back to bash SWGE again...is anyone really that surprised...

Not bashing, just stating wait time facts available to anyone.

Here's the 8:30pm Eastern update for DHS Opening Day wait times, per the WDW App...

Star Tours - 5 Minutes
Alien Swirling Saucers - 10 Minutes
Tower of Terror - 13 Minutes
Midway Mania - 20 Minutes
Rock N' Roller Coaster - 30 Minutes
Slinky Dog Coaster - 45 Minutes
Millennium Falcon - 80 Minutes

olie64

Not bashing, just stating wait time facts available to anyone.

Here's the 8:30pm Eastern update for DHS Opening Day wait times, per the WDW App...

Star Tours - 5 Minutes
Alien Swirling Saucers - 10 Minutes
Tower of Terror - 13 Minutes
Midway Mania - 20 Minutes
Rock N' Roller Coaster - 30 Minutes
Slinky Dog Coaster - 45 Minutes
Millennium Falcon - 80 Minutes

Yeah I know how to look at wait times. You are attempting to use them as a negative. Guess most who would like to come after work are trying to get ready for the cat 4 coming their way.

TP2000

Yeah I know how to look at wait times. You are attempting to use them as a negative. Guess most who would like to come after work are trying to get ready for the cat 4 coming their way.

You seem on edge. Can I get you a glass of Chianti or something to help ease you into the big holiday weekend? It'll be fun! :)

For the locals who didn't prepare for Hurricane Season, yes I'm sure they are busy. For the tourists at WDW, this is a great day to be at DHS!

I've said it repeatedly, but I'll say it again. We'll need to wait a few weeks to see how this settles in. We should check back on Saturday, September 21st and see what's happening in DHS with wait times and crowds.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Low crowds on an announced opening day for the “most immersive land ever” doesn’t have a connotation...it is what it is.

Same thing in Disneyland.

Now I still assume there will be more crowds in Orlando...different clientele that’s easier to please.

olie64

You seem on edge. Can I get you a glass of Chianti or something to help ease you into the big holiday weekend? It'll be fun! :)

For the locals who didn't prepare for Hurricane Season, yes I'm sure they are busy. For the tourists at WDW, this is a great day to be at DHS!

I've said it repeatedly, but I'll say it again. We'll need to wait a few weeks to see how this settles in. We should check back on Saturday, September 21st and see what's happening in DHS with wait times and crowds.

I’m more of a fan of jack haha. I’m guessing October will be nuts as I can upgrade my room...all seem to be full when I tried.

Ismael Flores

My post was for Savi's Workshop - didn't realize droid depot was doing that as well.
i believe in both cases you can still claim the product. you just don't go thru the experience.
basically if you make the reservation and you dont show up you left a vacant space open but still bought the product. this is what i heard was dine in anaheim

Travel Junkie

Actually you should wait until Disney reports earnings that would include the time frame in which Disney opened these lands.

Of course that doesn't fit your narrative though.

TP2000

I’m more of a fan of jack haha. I’m guessing October will be nuts as I can upgrade my room...all seem to be full when I tried.

I'm a Makers Mark man, but have you tried the JD Sinatra Select? I gave a bottle to a cousin last Christmas and he is still raving about it.

The hurricane prep is a factor for the locals in the low DHS crowds, no doubt. Although as someone who lives in Earthquake Country and always has 20 gallons of bottled water, plywood and tools, a week of canned food and propane, never lets the gas tank go below half, and keeps a Mossberg 590 and ammo ready to go, you'll have to pardon me if I don't sound as sympathetic as I should for something as predictable and annual as Hurricane Season. Rushing out to a decimated WalMart once the Weather Channel switches from cat videos to hurricane updates only three days before landfall isn't a good prep strategy, in my humble opinion.

I am looking forward to seeing how DHS and the Falcon ride behaves by late September. Then we'll know for sure!

BoarderPhreak

Just rolling in now, didn't read all the pages... That star trek thing open now?

56e5abd3ba99b.jpeg

Ismael Flores

Disneyland did do it right. People have their whole lives to see SW:GE... no reason to pack every possible human in right at opening.

People have long complained about Disney’s crowds - then, when Disney actually does something to mitigate the crowds - people label them a failure. Can’t win.

Maybe Disney should just be more like Universal and allow ten hour lines for new rides like there was for Hagrid’s. Now that’s success 🙄.
exactly, people seem to forget that at Anaheim they had a full month of sold out reservation system with crowds packing in every 2 hours allowing groups to overlap two hours in the land.

if they hadn't done those reservation we probably would have seen the same outcome for at least a month or until passes got blocked out.

add tot hat the insane media reports that crowds would be in the thousands and that gridlock and lack of parking were going to be issues.

olie64

Have you tried the Sinatra Select? I gave a bottle to a cousin last Christmas and he is still raving about it.

The hurricane prep is a factor for the locals in the low DHS crowds, no doubt. Although as someone who lives in Earthquake Country and always has 20 gallons of bottled water, plywood and tools, a week of canned food and propane, never lets the gas tank go below half, and keeps a Mossberg 590 and ammo ready to go, you'll have to pardon me if I don't sound as sympathetic as I should for something as predictable and annual as Hurricane Season. Rushing out to a decimated WalMart once the Weather Channel switches from cat videos to hurricane updates only three days before landfall isn't a good prep strategy, in my humble opinion.

I am looking forward to seeing how DHS and the Falcon ride behaves by late September. Then we'll know for sure!

That’s a solid home defense. That’s a great statement about the weather channel...I don’t know how many feet of snow I was suppose to get from there forecast that never came.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom