News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You seam to feel as if you have your reputation invested on whether this was a failure or not.
Let it go.
You’re painting a broad picture to support your opinion but not looking into important factors to support or not support your opinion.
Carsland opened June 15. SUMMER, FAMILY VACATIONS.....
Pandora opened up on MEMORIAL WEEKEND.
You can understand what a massive difference that is right?
Somehow I don’t think you will.
I’m studying why we are talking about lack of demand in a Star Wars land 3 months after one premier and 1 day after another?

That shouldn’t be...at all. But you would have to look at Star Wars phenomena (way for about 40 years) to be confused by this

Respectfully, you made all that other diversionary stuff up.

And of course...this ain’t our first rodeo, cowpoke 😎

planodisney

I’m studying why we are talking about lack of demand in a Star Wars land 3 months after one premier and 1 day after another?

That shouldn’t be...at all. But you would have to look at Star Wars phenomena (way for about 40 years) to be confused by this

Respectfully, you made all that other diversionary stuff up.

And of course...this ain’t our first rodeo, cowpoke 😎
What did I make up?
Carsland opened in June and Pandora opened Memorial Day weekend.
Those are facts.
If you can’t understand the difference that makes then you are too dug in to your stance.
That’s ok, I’ve been there myself before.
Also, no hate or pettiness from me. I love a good jostle back and forth, and appreciate people with strong opinions. But SL facts need to be considered. Not just facts chosen to support one side or the other.
You say you are just trying to figure all this out. Do I just thought you would want the opening dates of the other lands you mentioned because you obviously know how important that data is to make a valid determination.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Judging from the crowds yesterday and this morning its looking like GE is probably a failure, unequivocally worse than Disneylands opening. I can't imagine Iger is going to be very happy when the numbers hit his desk given that the opening week and labor day weekend is a complete write off for the entire resort now. But the fact of the matter is opening day didn't even use their fancy boarding pass tech after noon and this was before the hurricane was a real threat... If you spend 1 billion dollars in a single land and don't get resort wide attendance boosts then its a disaster.

I mean...some people here are gonna believe you and some refuse to...

But you are highlighting the business end - particularly he last sentence - that is completely true.

We’ve been debating this since the Disneyland one opened...but there isn’t a debate on what you wrote.

Selfishly? I hope it continues...that AP increase in June was a complete lack of respect to the customer - as was the Disneyland blackout - and the “free” market dictates retribution.

Universal is also watching. Promotions on deck. Good for all of us.

I smell a “limited time fantastic deal” from DVC on deck

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
What did I make up?
Carsland opened in June and Pandora opened Memorial Day weekend.
Those are facts.
If you can’t understand the difference that makes then you are too dug in to your stance.
That’s ok, I’ve been there myself before.
The “personal” nonsense...the other stuff is fine...but of course you are treating the Star Wars IP as run of the mill...contrary to every Hollywood and business analyst ever.

Fallacy of comparison

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Guests began arriving at 3am, the park reached capacity at 6am? How's that a poor opening day for SWGE? Am I missing something?

As I observed yesterday, the facts can be twisted to support either point of view....

"That land needed boarding group until 3:00 PM, it's a massive success"
"The land only needed boarding groups until 3:00 PM, it's a massive failure"

ColdSarsaparilla

You seam to feel as if you have your reputation invested on whether this was a failure or not.
Let it go.
You’re painting a broad picture to support your opinion but not looking into important factors to support or not support your opinion.
Carsland opened June 15. SUMMER, FAMILY VACATIONS.....
Pandora opened up on MEMORIAL WEEKEND.
You can understand what a massive difference that is right?

So you're saying they made an error in when they planned for it to open?

Also, SW:GE in Disneyland opened May 31st. That feels like a pretty accessible date, no?

ColdSarsaparilla

As I observed yesterday, the facts can be twisted to support either point of view....

"That land needed boarding group until 3:00 PM, it's a massive success"
"The land only needed boarding groups until 3:00 PM, it's a massive failure"

At the risk of sounding like a broken drum, the fact that can't be twisted is that they expected and planned for more.

And that's just about all you need to know.

Now, whether the droves arrive post-hurricane or when ROTR opens is yet to be seen and worthy of discussion.

mikejs78

Premium Member
At the risk of sounding like a broken drum, the fact that can't be twisted is that they expected and planned for more.

And that's just about all you need to know.

Now, whether the droves arrive post-hurricane or when ROTR opens is yet to be seen and worthy of discussion.
How do you know what they planned for?

planodisney

The “personal” nonsense...the other stuff is fine...but of course you are treating the Star Wars IP as run of the mill...contrary to every Hollywood and business analyst ever.

Fallacy of comparison
No I get that the IP’s are not comparable and that would be a fare point to make. My issue is that you’re almost asserting that your just trying to get to the bottom of all this. However you completely ignore ANYTHING that would give evidence contrary to your opinion that should be used to make a valid overall conclusion.

Whatever the IP, masses of people are t going to take their kids out of school, 1,2 and three weeks into the year. That’s just a fact.
Pandora and Carsland opened at peak family vacation times.
Surely you have to admit that should be factored in there somewhere correct?
I have no clue about the hurricane but just common sense would tell me it has SOME effect as well.
But I don’t know 100%, so I didn’t use it in my post. As a father to young children and has a wife who teaches, Vacation time I do know 100% has an impact.

Last edited:

HiJe

Hate to jump into the debate, but I would say the success of the land shouldn't be gauged by the wait time of the 1 (soon to be 2) rides in the land, but by the number of people in the gift shops leaving with bags, drinking at the cantina, people spending 100's of dollars for a custom built lightsaber or droid, and buying a novelty (grenade looking) diet coke.

The rides are there to draw people in to these revenue generators and counter the cost of building and maintaining the land.

So we are going to need someone at the exit gate counting Porgs in order to determine the success I believe.

planodisney

So you're saying they made an error in when they planned for it to open?

Also, SW:GE in Disneyland opened May 31st. That feels like a pretty accessible date, no?
I think they made all kinds of errors in these 2 rollouts. Where did I argue against that fact.
They completely screwed the pooch on the DL rollout. I’m not even arguing that the WDW opening couldn’t have been even bigger.
The marketing for DL was non-existent and the reservation system muted the huge crowd the first month and opening with 1 ride.
Doesn’t the whole “half day ticket” option show that Fisney anticipated large midday and early afternoon departures with all these insane early morning extra magic hours.
Can’t we look at ALL the factors and not just one side or the other?
What’s wrong with that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom