News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Little Green Men

I don't know about that at DHS. Star Tours at DHS is not even supposed to be a real spaceport, it's a fake movie set "See How Clever We Are?!?" thing. A complete 180 degree experience from what Galaxy's Edge is supposed to be and do. At least at Disneyland the plotline is a real spaceport in Tomorrowland run by the Star Tours company.

315769452_4b4b6e0d8d_b.jpg

ASD-12042015l+-+1.jpg
They abandoned that once the 3D version started. Now you’re in the world of the movie which to me makes more sense than a movie taking place a long time ago being in “Tomorrowland” but that’s just me.

TP2000

You heard very incorrectly.

The merch in Tokyo is god-awful. It's mostly tins full of small treats with Mickey and Co slapped on the front, trinkets, pens, phone bobbles, stuffed plush. Gaudy Mickey and friend t-shirts. Whatever celebration they happen to be doing that year slapped onto all of the above.

Tokyo is a lot of things, a lot of wonderful things, but a beacon of merch purity it is not. In fact that's the one element I'd say Tokyo comes into dead last for.

591_main_visual_name_2.jpg

Take a very close look at the above merch shelves. See all the crap I'm talking about? Somewhere on Main Street you say? Must be a Fantasyland shop?

That's the tower of terror exit gift shop. You can actually spot the ONE on theme shirt in black in the back by the guy with the shopping basket. That's literally the only thing I bought in the entirety of Disney Sea, because it was slightly on point unique... but it's still Mickey and Co screaming on ToT.

Thank you! I have been to Tokyo Disneyland many times now, sometimes just for a day and sometimes for four days straight, and you nailed their merchandise strategy on the head. This isn't a recent development either, it was this way in the 2000's too.

And you forgot to mention that of those endless tins of little snack crackers and cookies, all being sold in the same tins in every land and shop and park across the resort... many of the treats inside are seaweed flavored. o_O

TP2000

They abandoned that once the 3D version started. Now you’re in the world of the movie which to me makes more sense than a movie taking place a long time ago being in “Tomorrowland” but that’s just me.

Okay, but I was in DHS a few years ago (after the 3D thing started) and I didn't ride Star Tours (I was passing through Orlando in only 36 hours en route to Europe and as a Disneyland AP'er, why bother?) but walked by and distinctly remember pausing in front and looking at it. The fake Kleig lights are still there, because HOLLYWOOD!. And the At-At is still a giant "Look How Clever We Are!" movie prop with no backside and more Kleig lights hanging from it to illuminate the Jedi Training Academy show, the redwood trees are cut off at the 20 foot height and the ride warehouse is still covered in vinyl graphics that give the movie set queue depth because HOLLYWOOD!, etc., etc.

Star-Tours-at-at.jpg

o.jpg

If they abandoned the movie set plotline for the queue and attraction, they've done a really bad job of covering that up.

But honestly the Star Tours conundrum is something both parks will need to deal with in 2019 and beyond. Personally, I think it helps that it's on the other side of the park at Disneyland and in a setup that tries to be an actual spaceport instead of a movie set. But when Galaxy's Edge opens, both versions of this late 1980's E Ticket are going to seem hokey and pointless in each park they are in.

Which reminds me, this bolsters this thread I'm going to create soon entitled "Pixar Pier Is Awful and Why I'm Worried About Star Wars Land".

Last edited:

brb1006

Thank you! I have been to Tokyo Disneyland many times now, sometimes just for a day and sometimes for four days straight, and you nailed their merchandise strategy on the head. This isn't a recent development either, it was this way in the 2000's too.

And you forgot to mention that of those endless tins of little snack crackers and cookies, all being sold in the same tins in every land and shop and park across the resort... many of the treats inside are seaweed flavored. o_O
Japan has very unique flavors with snacks. They have interesting flavors for Pringles such as Wasabi Mayo, Pizza Toast, and Pizza Chicken for example.

brb1006

Okay, but I was in DHS a few years ago (after the 3D thing started) and I didn't ride Star Tours (I was passing through Orlando in only 36 hours en route to Europe and as a Disneyland AP'er, why bother?) but walked by and distinctly remember pausing in front and looking at it. The fake Kleig lights are still there, because HOLLYWOOD!. And the At-At is still a giant "Look How Clever We Are!" movie prop with no backside and more Kleig lights hanging from it to illuminate the Jedi Training Academy show, the redwood trees are cut off at the 20 foot height and the ride warehouse is still covered in vinyl graphics that give the movie set queue depth because HOLLYWOOD!, etc., etc.

Star-Tours-at-at.jpg

o.jpg

If they abandoned the movie set plotline for the queue and attraction, they've done a really bad job of covering that up. But honestly the Star Tours conundrum is something both parks will need to deal with in 2019 and beyond. Personally, I think it helps that it's on the other side of the park at Disneyland and in a setup that tries to be an actual spaceport instead of a movie set. But when Galaxy's Edge opens, both versions of this late 1980's E Ticket are going to seem hokey and pointless in each park they are in.

Which reminds me, this bolsters this thread I'm going to create soon entitled "Pixar Pier Is Awful and Why I'm Worried About Star Wars Land".
Yeah DHS need to rework the Star Tours queue once Star Wars Land finally opens.

Phroobar

Star-Tours-at-at.jpg

o.jpg

If they abandoned the movie set plotline for the queue and attraction, they've done a really bad job of covering that up.

But honestly the Star Tours conundrum is something both parks will need to deal with in 2019 and beyond. Personally, I think it helps that it's on the other side of the park at Disneyland and in a setup that tries to be an actual spaceport instead of a movie set. But when Galaxy's Edge opens, both versions of this late 1980's E Ticket are going to seem hokey and pointless in each park they are in.

At DHS, they could put the Star Speeder simulators on a monorail train and have then unload in Baatu. You leave the Star Tours space port and end up in GE. Too bad that won't work at DL.

BrianLo

Original Poster
The merch is tailored to the Japanese. It is a cultural thing to buy small gifts for people you meet. That is where Sanjo's Hello Kitty came from.

I do understand the large cultural difference. Shanghai is into bubble wands like you wouldn't believe. But I just wanted to snip the 'but Tokyo does it' thing in the bud, when they are easily the worst offender.

Even if the trinkets, bobbles and snack tins were tower of terror themed in one land, arabian themed in the other. But they aren't, it's just Mickey and Co everywhere, not even appropriately blended or wearing the costume to the land they occupy.

Mitsukoshi in Epcot is literally more appealing to me than the entirety of Tokyo Disney Resort's offerings. It's not like Tokyo/Japan doesn't have cool stuff. But I digress... Star Wars.

Phroobar

I do understand the large cultural difference. Shanghai is into bubble wands like you wouldn't believe. But I just wanted to snip the 'but Tokyo does it' thing in the bud, when they are easily the worst offender.

Even if the trinkets, bobbles and snack tins were tower of terror themed in one land, arabian themed in the other. But they aren't, it's just Mickey and Co everywhere, not even appropriately blended or wearing the costume to the land they occupy.

Mitsukoshi in Epcot is literally more appealing to me than the entirety of Tokyo Disney Resort's offerings. It's not like Tokyo/Japan doesn't have cool stuff. But I digress... Star Wars.
Your not a Japanese girl. The fab five is everything to them.

BasiltheBatLord

imgrc0064588071.jpg

These kinds of character collage shirts are really popular in Japan, you'll frequently see park guests wearing them. (This is a Little Mermaid one of course, but there's a few other IPs, Aladdin, Toy Story etc.) I think they're interesting because these shirts are like a literal visualization of the mind of a Japanese Disney fan. It's ALL about the characters, period. You'll often see Japanese folks (from schoolgirls all the way to salarymen) on trains in Tokyo with their tote bags with Disney character keychains hanging off them, they'll have an iPhone case of their favorite character, they'll pay for a LINE (Popular Japanese messaging app) theme of their favorite character etc.

TP2000

No better thread than this one to put this...

I just enjoyed the heck out of tonight's SpaceX Falcon 9 launch, and the rocket did its second stage breakup right over Orange County and put on one of the most gorgeous sky shows I've ever seen. It was huge. Then the final stage continued on into space as the second stage re-entered and headed back to Vandenberg. Here in Villa Park all the neighbors and their kids were wandering out into the street yelling at everyone to come look, and it was quite a sight. I'm sure the folks at Disneyland were awed by it.

It took up one third of the sky, and was incredible to behold. And on a lovely fall evening with crystal skies just after sundown. Do the publicity men at SpaceX time these things on purpose to look the most beautiful??? One of those things you only get in Southern California really, and quite a show for all those Columbus Day crowds at Disneyland I'm sure. Can you imagine how cool these SpaceX launches will look over Star Wars Land a year from now?!?

This wasn't tonight's launch, just a previous smaller launch. And honestly tonight's launch looked twice as big as this one, and brighter, as the second stage branched off and returned to earth while the final stage shot out of the atmosphere and into space.
47987F0300000578-5215401-Residents_of_Southern_California_and_Arizona_were_startled_just_-a-29_1514391391990.jpg

Last edited:

Phroobar

I just enjoyed the heck out of tonight's SpaceX Falcon 9 launch, and the rocket did its second stage breakup right over Orange County and put on one of the most gorgeous sky shows I've ever seen. It was huge. Then the final stage continued on into space as the second stage re-entered and headed back to Vandenberg. Here in Villa Park all the neighbors and their kids were wandering out into the street yelling at everyone to come look, and it was quite a sight. I'm sure the folks at Disneyland were awed by it.

It took up one third of the sky, and was incredible to behold. And on a lovely fall evening with crystal skies just after sundown. Do the publicity men at SpaceX time these things on purpose to look the most beautiful??? One of those things you only get in Southern California really, and quite a show for all those Columbus Day crowds at Disneyland I'm sure. Can you imagine how cool these SpaceX launches will look over Star Wars Land a year from now?!?

This wasn't tonight's launch, just a previous smaller launch. And honestly tonight's launch looked twice as big as this one, and brighter, as the second stage branched off and returned to earth while the final stage shot out of the atmosphere and into space.
47987F0300000578-5215401-Residents_of_Southern_California_and_Arizona_were_startled_just_-a-29_1514391391990.jpg
It was amazing looking. We were getting off the freeway at Brea when I saw that light up the sky. Best fireworks show ever! Thanks SpaceX.

Old Mouseketeer

I wish I had known. I saw the last one over DCA and it was magnificent.

TP2000

I wish I had known. I saw the last one over DCA and it was magnificent.

This latest one tonight was really, really good. One of the best ever.

I swear, the publicity department at SpaceX chooses launch times just after sundown when the rocket flares will look the most spectacular. A gorgeously crystal dark blue autumn sky in SoCal didn't hurt. It also helps that they've got a technology where the first stage rocket blasts away and then re-enters the atmosphere and heads back to the SoCal launch pad making the sky show double impressive.

This is truly a miraculous age.

And the local 10 o'clock news is reporting the SpaceX booster rocket returned perfectly to the launch pad at Vandenberg, which doubled the size and scope of the sky show that SoCal saw tonight.

Last edited:

shortstop

Is that what that was? I saw it and thought I was going to be abducted by aliens.

brb1006

Your not a Japanese girl. The fab five is everything to them.
Actually Minnie, Chip N Dale, and Marie are everything to them. Minnie has more merchandise than Minnie does over there to the point Minnie had her own Valentine's Day theme event years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom