News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

Old Mouseketeer

Before star wars land opens, Instead of having the line inside. I think disney should find a spot near the entrance of star wars land over by thunder mountain and also by the hungry bear resturent. They should have wrist bands like at the disney halloween. The cast members give you one. Then lead 20 people or more. The line by the thunder mountain goes to the falcon ride. The line by the hungry bear restaurant goes to the resistance ride.

Well, aside from the wrist bands, it's likely they will lay out extended queue on each side as you have suggested. They question is whether they will have physical FastPass distro or just use MaxPass. But there likely be both Standby and FP lines. I suspect contingency plans will allow for them to go all the way down Main St. Conceivably, Resistance would go through Critter Country/NO Sq/Adventureland and Falcon would use BT Trail/Frontierland. Alternatively, Falcon could go through Fantasyland and down Matterhorn Road, but this is less advantageous logistically. It has also been suggested that Falcon would enter through the center entrance from BT Trail and exit for the whole land would be through the East entrance, adjacent to Fantasyland.

This would allow the center entrance to GE to be exit-only, perhaps with regulated entrance for lookiloos who just want to dine and shop. It''s also possible that exiting would be restricted to the Center or East portal only during morning rush. But who knows?

fctiger

No. - I’m debunking your repeated claims and basis for your argument that DLR has never had a critical crowds issue.

You keep saying this is chicken little and the concerns never materialized- that is false.

Oh sorry, should've read closer. My bad.

But the point still stands, if Disney wanted to deal with the crowd issue they could have years ago. They could do it tomorrow. But they don't. Why, because from their POV there is no 'issue'. And that's the ultimate rub, especially if everyone still goes knowing this..

fctiger

Will the cantina take reservations? If so, how far out do you think we will be able to book?

I remember reading it will be similar to the Carthay Restaurant set up and there will be the full service eating area you can reserve but also a separate bar area that is strictly walk in. And I don't know how long in advance you can reserve but I'm guessing about a month at least. I don't think its like WDW where it's six months or anything.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh sorry, should've read closer. My bad.

But the point still stands, if Disney wanted to deal with the crowd issue they could have years ago. They could do it tomorrow. But they don't. Why, because from their POV there is no 'issue'.

There isn’t on a daily basis... and on the days it is... Disney does do things. I’m not sure what park you visit, but Disney does vary operations to account for crowds. From how they handle crowd control, to how they route guests in the park, to how they handle extended queues, parking variations, throttling guests at the park, at parking, etc. then there are other variables they have like early openings (something used extensively in wdw for the last two major openings), maxpass, special events, and more.

Disney does have capacity issues at times, and does do things about it.

The whole discussion is that this new load is ON TOP of an already stressed system and this new load will be like no other new demand in the last 30 years.

If you don’t think Disneyland strains when it hits it peaks... I don’t know what park you’ve been following the last 20 years. The additions to dca since it’s reboot, as well as the shifting of some activities to dca have reduced the frequency of these problems by spreading out the load better. But there are reasons Disney was ready to add new parking garages.... why toy story lot was implemented, etc. and why Adventureland is still the most iconic photo of just how bad DL crowding can get. It’s real.

fctiger

There isn’t on a daily basis... and on the days it is... Disney does do things. I’m not sure what park you visit, but Disney does vary operations to account for crowds. From how they handle crowd control, to how they route guests in the park, to how they handle extended queues, parking variations, throttling guests at the park, at parking, etc. then there are other variables they have like early openings (something used extensively in wdw for the last two major openings), maxpass, special events, and more.

Disney does have capacity issues at times, and does do things about it.

The whole discussion is that this new load is ON TOP of an already stressed system and this new load will be like no other new demand in the last 30 years.

If you don’t think Disneyland strains when it hits it peaks... I don’t know what park you’ve been following the last 20 years. The additions to dca since it’s reboot, as well as the shifting of some activities to dca have reduced the frequency of these problems by spreading out the load better. But there are reasons Disney was ready to add new parking garages.... why toy story lot was implemented, etc. and why Adventureland is still the most iconic photo of just how bad DL crowding can get. It’s real.

Well I'm not there every day lol. I go a few times a year at best. All I can say is just wait and see. Seriously, if its a big problem then they will do something about it as you said they account for crowds. I just don't think they see it as a huge issue or they would've been doing more from the beginning... but they're not. Things you are talking about is just day to day stuff. They could eliminate all APs tomorrow if they wanted for any real long term measures, but they aren't doing that, right?

So what do you want me to say? Disney simply doesn't see as an issue as others do and others don't either if they are still going regularly. Either way life will go on, this isn't the biggest issues of life. If they want to limit the crowds, they will. If they don't, then your only real choice is to decide to go or not.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well I'm not there every day lol. I go a few times a year at best. All I can say is just wait and see. Seriously, if its a big problem then they will do something about it as you said they account for crowds. I just don't think they see it as a huge issue or they would've been doing more from the beginning...they're not. So Disney simply doesn't see as an issue as others do and others don't either if they are still going regularly. Either way life will go on, this isn't the biggest issues of life. If they want to limit the crowds, they will. If they don't, then your only real choice is to decide to go or not.

I think what you are missing is.... the crowd issues today are peak load problems... things that don’t happen everyday because the parks’s Demand load varies. Disney has been aggressively changing the AP pricing to make blackouts a real impact on the crowds. The result of this is this strain being discussed only happens at the big extremes... like when events happen, special holiday alignments, blackout boundaries, etc.

But SW:GE will not follow that exisiting pattern. It will generate a new demand that wills be huge AND be sustained.... it’s not going to be just fro NYE, or a handful of times a season... it’s going to be a demand load that will be Maxxed out every day... day in and out... for months.

So instead of being a “sometime” problem that only impacts a few dates... it’s going to create impacts on the entire park for long periods of time.

That’s an entirely different story. Disney will have a plan... the question will simply be how will it play out and will Disney get super aggressive?

fctiger

I think what you are missing is.... the crowd issues today are peak load problems... things that don’t happen everyday because the parks’s Demand load varies. Disney has been aggressively changing the AP pricing to make blackouts a real impact on the crowds. The result of this is this strain being discussed only happens at the big extremes... like when events happen, special holiday alignments, blackout boundaries, etc.

But SW:GE will not follow that exisiting pattern. It will generate a new demand that wills be huge AND be sustained.... it’s not going to be just fro NYE, or a handful of times a season... it’s going to be a demand load that will be Maxxed out every day... day in and out... for months.

So instead of being a “sometime” problem that only impacts a few dates... it’s going to create impacts on the entire park for long periods of time.

That’s an entirely different story. Disney will have a plan... the question will simply be how will it play out and will Disney get super aggressive?

Again we can only wait and see. You just said Disney will have a plan, so what am I missing? Can we see how the plan goes first? Seriously.

Ismael Flores

I'm sure they can use the backstage road between Fantasyland and frontierland as an extended queue area. They have used that backstage area multiple times as a bypass when the park is crowded.

They should start planning for it now and set up that back area with walls like they did the mainstreet area next to the jungle cruise side.

Have all guests enter thru the eastern side of SWGE (fantasyland entrance) and use the critter country side and the frontierland as exits only to keep the flow of guests moving.

The fantasyland side entrance has the better advantage for an extended queue that would avoid blocking park paths

Here this would give the a queue to hold people for several hours and if needed can extend up unto the IASW mall area as well. proper signage to help guest know that the line starts near the parade route

Attachments

• TT.png
    TT.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 92

lifeisgoodboy

Well, aside from the wrist bands, it's likely they will lay out extended queue on each side as you have suggested. They question is whether they will have physical FastPass distro or just use MaxPass. But there likely be both Standby and FP lines. I suspect contingency plans will allow for them to go all the way down Main St. Conceivably, Resistance would go through Critter Country/NO Sq/Adventureland and Falcon would use BT Trail/Frontierland. Alternatively, Falcon could go through Fantasyland and down Matterhorn Road, but this is less advantageous logistically. It has also been suggested that Falcon would enter through the center entrance from BT Trail and exit for the whole land would be through the East entrance, adjacent to Fantasyland.

This would allow the center entrance to GE to be exit-only, perhaps with regulated entrance for lookiloos who just want to dine and shop. It''s also possible that exiting would be restricted to the Center or East portal only during morning rush. But who knows?

Inside Batuu, Maybe the buildings next to the rides are the lines start . They may have plenty of room to form a line in the those buidings. Well have to wait and see.

PB Watermelon

I think they should use genetic engineering to weaponize the feral cats around Bear Country to thin out the human population...just at random, a giant venomous feline leaps out of nowhere and eats your french fries and small offspring.

"Mommy, where's baby brother?"
"Quiet, dear. Don't look. Only three more hours left until we get into -- "
ROWR!!
"Where's mommy?"
"Quiet, dear. Don't look."

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Again we can only wait and see. You just said Disney will have a plan, so what am I missing? Can we see how the plan goes first? Seriously.

Before you were insisting DL doesn't have crowd issues or 'whats the big deal' - 'they will have a plan' is what I've been saying from the start. See...

Something that can be addressed without making the place collapse... it just won’t make the “visit anytime *I* want” AP crowd happy.

So will the impact be huge? For sure.. will it cause end of days. Doubtful... crowd control is something DLR is very proactive about.. so I'm not worried except for what it means to actually get into the place.

The crush is going to be felt where Disney has a harder time limiting the impact... the start time at the parking, the streets, the security checkpoints, etc. Disney can be draconian in the park, but its harder further out. I expect them to fully put on crowd movement limitations and access chokepoints for the first 3-6months. Just imagine what it will be like once the summer blackout ends.. that will be nuts.

fctiger

Before you were insisting DL doesn't have crowd issues or 'whats the big deal' - 'they will have a plan' is what I've been saying from the start. See...

The crush is going to be felt where Disney has a harder time limiting the impact... the start time at the parking, the streets, the security checkpoints, etc. Disney can be draconian in the park, but its harder further out. I expect them to fully put on crowd movement limitations and access chokepoints for the first 3-6months. Just imagine what it will be like once the summer blackout ends.. that will be nuts.

I guess I'll just repeat what I said once again. We'll just wait and see. I remember hearing the same scenario for CL, it worked itself out in the end. Yes, I assume it will be nuts the first year no matter, I've said that many times in other places and then if it will find a balance in time. If not, at worst, people simply choose not to go if its really that crazy. End of the day if people know its nuts and they still go then all Disney seems to care about. It's going to be fun to watch though lol.

Last edited:

Phroobar

I don't see what the problem is with long line for these attractions. All you got to do is line jump your way though line. According to the line jumping thread, a lot of you think that is acceptable. Besides not one cast member will stop you.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I guess I'll just repeat what I said once again. We'll just wait and see. I remember hearing the same scenario for CL, it worked itself out in the end. Yes, I assume it will be nuts the first year no matter, I've said that many times in other places and then if it will find a balance in time. If not, at worst, people simply choose not to go if its really that crazy. End of the day if people know its nuts and they still go then all Disney seems to care about. It's going to be fun to watch though lol.

So you're saying it will be crowded... for a long time.. but eventually it will balance itself out in time.

So glad you jumped in to counter folks with those sharp points. Heavy thoughts there...

fctiger

So you're saying it will be crowded... for a long time.. but eventually it will balance itself out in time.

So glad you jumped in to counter folks with those sharp points. Heavy thoughts there...

Was an insult really necessary? I'm saying what I said for literally years now, all these lands get crazy openings at the beginning from Harry Potter to to Carsland and after time they get less crowded and simply find a balance. There is all this hysteria about them, all the time, and then after a year or two things calm down when its no longer the shiny new toy. WWOHP got 3+ hour waits the first year just to enter the land, because yeah it was HP and the first themed land. Eight years later, its now balanced with the rest of the park, certainly still the busiest but not chaotic. On the internet every major new land, ride and major show its always the worst case scenario. I remember all the APers crying how 'impossible' it was going to see WOC and the FPs were going to sell out before noon for years. Of course I pointed out once everyone see it, it will naturally find a balance with the rest of the park as it did. That didn't stop the hysteria before opening however. Everything eventually finds a balance with the rest of the park. Hence why WWOHP no longer gets 3+ hour waits today.

I have been to over 40 theme parks, worldwide, including all the other Disney parks. Many of these parks have a much bigger capacity and crowd issues than Disneyland ever will but they are smaller and less known so they don't get the attention and headlines. Few parks see it as a problem however no different than this park does. I lived in Tokyo for years, TDL use to have capacity issues in the 80s and 90s that none of the American parks ever had. Today less so thankfully because of TDS but no one ever saw it as problem, its a popular theme park, you sucked it or simply didn't go. Most sucked it up.

And if SWL is still getting the waits in five years then it is in the first year, OK, that would be an issue. If so, I guess Disney will be thrilled lol. We'll just have to wait and see, right? Could you be right, yes, but if I had a nickel every time I heard so and so was going to change the dynamic of a park forever, I would have a lot of nickels. We simply don't know and while hysteria on the internet is as common a Trump tweet these days, it doesn't mean it's correct until we actually see what comes of it.

Anyway since you are now just coming off rude and nasty I'm putting you on ignore. I don't mind disagreeing with people, but if you can't do it civilly its no point. So on ignore you go. Take it easy.

fctiger

I know it’s hard for some to believe (not saying you) but SWL won’t be new and shiny forever. Their will come a time when the attractions are just other E tickets in a park/ resort full of them. So I think Father Time with a combo of Marvel Land, a new E ticket like the Mickey ride and smaller offerings like bringing Soarin over California back should do the trick.

Exactly! This is the problem with the internet, people simply think about the here and now. And of course 'now' is not even here yet as SWL won't open until sometime next year, no one truly knows how busy its going to be, especially since so many seem to forget they are building two of these lands opening within months of each other. This has never happened before so its not like CL, Pandora or WWOHP where the entire world will be ascending to this one land for years to come. So because this a different dynamic then those we don't know how it will be a year later? People are predicting the worst and yes they could be right. But how many times has the 'worst' been predicted? Yes its bad at the beginning but yeah like everything people do less of it once they had their fill. Marvel land will be coming in 2020 (which is probably why its coming lol) and in time they will get distracted with new things.

SWL is going to be a popular land for a long time to come as it should be. But as usual the predictions over how nuts it will be won't bare out until the thing just opens and whatever plans Disney has to contend with it. We know building two of them was already a smart move. And I just thrilled the park will be expanded another 14 acres so in time that's going to be a difference in how crowds are handed, but no doubt the first year or two its going to be crazy. But in 5-10 years everyone will be talking about something else completely and SWL will just be another land like rest of them. Most people are just thinking about tomorrow while Disney is thinking years down the line.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Was an insult really necessary? I'm saying what I said for literally years now, all these lands get crazy openings at the beginning from Harry Potter to to Carsland and after time they get less crowded and simply find a balance. There is all this hysteria about them, all the time, and then after a year or two things calm down when its no longer the shiny new toy. WWOHP got 3+ hour waits the first year just to enter the land, because yeah it was HP and the first themed land. Eight years later, its now balanced with the rest of the park, certainly still the busiest but not chaotic. On the internet every major new land, ride and major show its always the worst case scenario. I remember all the APers crying how 'impossible' it was going to see WOC and the FPs were going to sell out before noon for years. Of course I pointed out once everyone see it, it will naturally find a balance with the rest of the park as it did. That didn't stop the hysteria before opening however. Everything eventually finds a balance with the rest of the park. Hence why WWOHP no longer gets 3+ hour waits today.

Too bad you don't actually give anything credit for what made that balance happen... instead of just broad brushing that it just sorts itself out.

You know.. doing things like moving Olivanders and DOUBLING its capacity...
Opening a whole other land.. IN THE OTHER PARK... to diffuse things...
Offering early entry just for those things...
Changing operating hours...
Changing queuing and capacity controls...

Not all attraction additions are equal - and not all will just 'sort themselves out with time'... nevermind needing to address people DURING THAT TIME - not just say "oh, well you should have just come 3 years later once its all settled itself out..."

Your position is a lay one that ignores what has to happen until that newness wears off... and how the parks will have to change their ops model to accommodate the differences. In both your examples, both UNI and Disney made operational changes to the parks to diffuse the demand and make it more viable to see the attractions. They didn't just throw their hands up and say "oh this always happens, it will sort itself out eventually".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom