News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

SWGalaxysEdge

14 acre land with two low capacity attractions? That's ridiculous inside a park that's plagued with crowd issues. WDI should have made adding as much capacity as possible their number one priority with this expansion..

Low capacity? they will crank out around 1,800-2,000 guests per hour. On par with most attractions now.

mickEblu

Someone please educate me , why wasn’t this put into DCA the place with an incoherent mish mosh of themes anyway ? Not enough land ? I would think they could bulldoze any part of that park other than the grizzly peak area and cars land , who would care ???

Should have gone in Pixar Pier or the Simba Lot. Of course, the Simba Lot was probably off limits at the time because of the resort hotel/ various parking structure plans. But if it wasn’t... the Simba Lot would have been perfect. Pixar Pier doesn’t appear to have enough room unless maybe they used the bay too which probably isn’t happening considering WOC and the need for DCA to have nighttime entertainment to go up against DL. So I guess their were no easy choices at the time.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Someone please educate me , why wasn’t this put into DCA the place with an incoherent mish mosh of themes anyway ? Not enough land ? I would think they could bulldoze any part of that park other than the grizzly peak area and cars land , who would care ???

My take, and of course this is just my opinion. Despite all the "its destroying Walt's park" vitriol and such, it was placed in DL over DCA to have the most impact and less disruption in the resort. Now how it impacts DL overall two years from now when the "newness" wears off we'll see. But overall there would have been too much destruction in DCA in order to get a land of the same size and scope.

Plus DCA had just had a large scale land built in Cars Land, plus other improvements in the last 5-10 years. Had it gone in DCA you would have had screaming from all corners of the fandom and even Wall Street that no major investment and no new attractions had been added to DL in over 20 years. And you also have to consider that DCA, again my opinion, was being slated for Marvel.

mlayton144

My take, and of course this is just my opinion. Despite all the "its destroying Walt's park" vitriol and such, it was placed in DL over DCA to have the most impact and less disruption in the resort. Now how it impacts DL overall two years from now when the "newness" wears off we'll see. But overall there would have been too much destruction in DCA in order to get a land of the same size and scope.

Plus DCA had just had a large scale land built in Cars Land, plus other improvements in the last 5-10 years. Had it gone in DCA you would have had screaming from all corners of the fandom and even Wall Street that no major investment and no new attractions had been added to DL in over 20 years. And you also have to consider that DCA, again my opinion, was being slated for Marvel.

I hear you , but the facts state that DL is already filled to capacity with plenty to keep people coming back ? Wouldn’t a true 2 park resort be better than one great park and very marginal park ?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I hear you , but the facts state that DL is already filled to capacity with plenty to keep people coming back ? Wouldn’t a true 2 park resort be better than one great park and very marginal park ?

I don't disagree. But if you look at the reality, had it gone into DCA a lot would have be ripped out (which I know some would like ;)). But would also mean that DL itself would have gone 25+ years without a major investment. For all the criticism that Iger and current management gets it really does look like they are trying to invest in every park.

bshah365

Yeah it's going to be interesting to see how this turns out. When I first read your comment I thought the level of immersion we're expecting would require more than just a month of training. But with all the difficulties we've been discussing for a while now, earlier events to test out things wouldn't be that weird.

How does this compare to other huge expansions? I found articles and videos about CM training for Pandora, posted about one month before opening. Not sure when they really started the trainings though but considering the difference between both projects, training somewhere in February for SW:GE might be less crazy than I thought at first.

CMs have been "training" for over a year now..

A very long time ago, they made posts in every land asking many to join the first "Test and Adjust" crew. This crew would consist of the first CMs working on the project. There were many classes people could attend that would give information on what to expect in the land and what the company expects from its CMs. Each CM would be assigned to one of the 2 specific attractions or "projects", however they are able to work both. These CMs for the most part work 12 hour shifts and work hand in hand with WDI to basically put together the attractions "Operating Guide" (An official book that teaches how to operate the attraction in every aspect). These CMs and WDI have been cycling vehicles and testing the attraction since April or May from what I know. These CMs would become the official Leads and Trainers of both attractions....

Now, what's happening in February? Now they are accepting positions for their second round of transfers who will be the every day regular operators for opening season. Now that the Operating Guide has been written and constructed by WDI and the first round of transfers, these CMs will go through a regular training process similar to any other attraction at the resort.

Long story short, don't be worried thinking training will barely begin in February.... There have been tons of CMs already working in the land for months now alongside WDI. This is just a second wave.

***side note, I've been noticing that my posts on here are being copied and pasted (with credit) on other platforms like Facebook. I love sharing new information with fans just as excited as I am about this project, but for me to continue posting, I would appreciate it if we kept information on this website only. Thank you!***

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

A very long time ago, they made posts in every land asking many to join the first "Test and Adjust" crew. This crew would consist of the first CMs working on the project. There were many classes people could attend that would give information on what to expect in the land and what the company expects from its CMs. Each CM would be assigned to one of the 2 specific attractions or "projects", however they are able to work both. These CMs for the most part work 12 hour shifts and work hand in hand with WDI to basically put together the attractions "Operating Guide" (An official book that teaches how to operate the attraction in every aspect). These CMs and WDI have been cycling vehicles and testing the attraction since April or May from what I know. These CMs would become the official Leads and Trainers of both attractions.... [This info exclusive to WDWMagic.com forums. Do not share on other platforms.]

Now, what's happening in February? Now they are accepting positions for their second round of transfers who will be the every day regular operators for opening season. Now that the Operating Guide has been written and constructed by WDI and the first round of transfers, these CMs will go through a regular training process similar to any other attraction at the resort.

Long story short, don't be worried thinking training will barely begin in February.... There have been tons of CMs already working in the land for months now alongside WDI. This is just a second wave.

***side note, I've been noticing that my posts on here are being copied and pasted (with credit) on other platforms like Facebook. I love sharing new information with fans just as excited as I am about this project, but for me to continue posting, I would appreciate it if we kept information on this website only. Thank you!***

Thanks for sharing your info with us.

If you really want to stop, or make it painfully hard for others to copy your work, type it up in a word processor, add restriction notices, and then cut and paste it as a picture. E.g....

1545352972695.png

Can't cut and paste text from an image file except to repost the image which would require some shopping to remove the restriction, or else look like a jerk. :)

fctiger

Probably many reasons. But the main ones being lack of land as you said but DCA also just had a major overhaul, DL hasn't had any new E-tickets since Indy, Star Wars has also already been established in that park thanks to Star Tours and they been wanted to increase capacity there for awhile now and building a new land gave them that option.

And lastly I think they decided DCA would be the Marvel park for future MCU additions and DL the Star Wars park. That way they both have a major brand and keep people going to both for years to come.

Old Mouseketeer

A very long time ago, they made posts in every land asking many to join the first "Test and Adjust" crew. This crew would consist of the first CMs working on the project. There were many classes people could attend that would give information on what to expect in the land and what the company expects from its CMs. Each CM would be assigned to one of the 2 specific attractions or "projects", however they are able to work both. These CMs for the most part work 12 hour shifts and work hand in hand with WDI to basically put together the attractions "Operating Guide" (An official book that teaches how to operate the attraction in every aspect). These CMs and WDI have been cycling vehicles and testing the attraction since April or May from what I know. These CMs would become the official Leads and Trainers of both attractions....

I don't think test and adjust has been in place for over a year. I think it's more than six months, but less than a year. But the recruitment for ride operators is the third wave, not the second. The second wave is already in place and it consists of working leads from other attractions, added to the test and adjust crew. No Bothans were harmed....

smile

attempting to control info posted in a public forum is... of questionable merit
- perhaps reconsider what you share if concerned your info will be disseminated in whole or in part by worthless trogs

Rich Brownn

At Universal that's the "commissioning" team, except the team is advised explicitly there is no guarantee anyone will automatically be hired for opening.

SWGalaxysEdge

...lol that would be me and I will gladly keep it here. No problem.

DanielBB8

As I recall, the criticism is Disneyland hasn’t received a new attraction since Indiana Jones. So it is overdue for a major attraction. Plus, Star Wars is more suitable for Disneyland than DCA.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But operationally this sounds like a complete nightmare, playing out daily for years to come. And when 75,000 paying customers per day try to pack themselves into this place, but it can only take 30,000 customers per day, it's going to get ugly. Who the heck in WDI thought it was a good idea to build two low-capacity E Tickets for the biggest expansion in Disneyland history?!? That guy should have been fired five years ago before he could even start on this concept.

Something that can be addressed without making the place collapse... it just won’t make the “visit anytime *I* want” AP crowd happy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As I recall, the criticism is Disneyland hasn’t received a new attraction since Indiana Jones. So it is overdue for a major attraction. Plus, Star Wars is more suitable for Disneyland than DCA.

Well... they made up Batuu. And many SW planets are just giant versions of geographic areas of Earth: an ice planet, a desert planet, a water planet, etc...

Therefor, they could have made up a California-esque planet, say 'Wowwuu', and made a SWL that fit in with DCA.

Then Wowwuu would be to DCA what Pandora is to DAK.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well... they made up Batuu. And many SW planets are just giant versions of geographic areas of Earth: an ice planet, a desert planet, a water planet, etc...

Therefor, they could have made up a California-esque planet, say 'Wowwuu', and made a SWL that fit in with DCA.

Then Wowwuu would be to DCA what Pandora is to DAK.

That's coming to DCA next decade after Marvel project is complete.... ;)

SWGalaxysEdge

As far as alcohol goes, if you don't like it just don't drink. Its like with any other place - if you don;t like something , don;t do it, but don't take it away from those who do like it. Too many times, the minority gets their way and the majority suffers. That is all I will say about the alcohol issue. PS - I don't drink at all, but it doesn't bother me if it exists.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom