News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

wityblack

The Rise of the Resistance one is underwhelming with it's real time rendering look, but the much more visibly tactile Falcon video is exciting, and the John Williams one gave me what I wanted. I like the sound of his new theme at the start.
It's possible that it was shot in the attraction, with some CGI additions to make up for the parts that aren't finished yet, so it's a mix of CGI and actual set pieces.

fctiger

I disagree. I'm a Disneyland kid--I grew up two miles south of the DL Hotel. DL was my backyard. But I enjoy spending time in DCA--I love the open space and easier pace. It feels less cramped and hurried. The crowd size seems more manageable. Whether I'm eating at the wharf or Boardwalk Pasta, I know I can have a relaxed meal. There's so much that I love at DL Park. But it's a lot harder to get to. It's less a "park" and more an urban environment.

I agree with this. DCA use to be a complete waste of time for most people its opening years and I didn't want to spend more than a few hours at best. It just didn't have the magic, lacked rides and theme felt more corny than revered.

But today my feelings has done a complete 180. I really love hanging out in the park and can spend a whole day there. There are definitely still a lot of issues with it but its clearly a more popular park today judging by how massive all the wait times are these days. But even though the park is more busy than it was a decade ago it doesn't feel as busy like DL can and one of its true design success stories and that the park was built for bigger crowds today. DL can really feel like you're in a sardine can on extra busy days but I don't think I ever felt that way in DCA and I been there a few times when that park was at capacity.

Of course I do kind of miss the days when you can hit all the big popular rides with 10-20 minute waits even in the middle of summer, do everything in the park and hop over to DL after 2-3 hours. Those days are long gone but it feels like a real theme park now at least.

Last edited:

fctiger

donsullivan

Premium Member
It's possible that it was shot in the attraction, with some CGI additions to make up for the parts that aren't finished yet, so it's a mix of CGI and actual set pieces.

It was expressly stated and emphasized (I was in the room) that the footage for Rise of the Resistance was shot in the actual attraction. Most likely (although they did not expressly state this) the Disneyland version which is further along but since they're essentially identical it wouldn't matter.

fctiger

As I've gotten older, my opinion on dca has declined. But that's partly cause of the changes it's gotten the last few years.

I really enjoyed Tower, Screamin',and Soarin'- and the new versions haven't resonated with me as well.

I generally like GOTG and the new Soarin (and they are obviously very popular looking at the wait times for them). Incredicoaster is OK, but it's still the same ride, just with a cartoon theme on it.

But I will say what's disappointing about these changes are that these were the last ride attractions that was about California. OK, Screamin really had nothing to do with it but the name but the other two really tied to stick with the original theme and now they are gone. And of course Paradise Pier has been hyjacked by Pixar so that place can be anywhere now.

I really think they need to stop kidding themselves and say DCA is about California anymore. Its shocking the new Marvel land will even be based around California. And ironic since so many have said Marvel doesn't make sense in DCA although I always said look around, 2/3rds of the stuff in there doesn't make sense in DCA.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I thought Battle Escape was the official name? if not then where did the name come from?

The code name was "Alcatraz" because of the movie "Escape From Alactraz" implying that the plot of the ride is to escape. Since we'll be escaping from a Starship Battle Cruiser, it get nicknamed "Battle Escape." But Battle Escape was never a Disney appellation, just the insider fans.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

It was announced a day or two ago at Destination D.
It was announced a day or two ago at Destination D.
so again my question is then, where did the name BATTLE ESCAPE come from?? when the land was first announced we knew there would be a Falcon ride and everyone up until now has called It the Millenium Falcon Ride but every one was calling the other ride in the land BATTLE ESCAPE which is sooo specific a name it sounded like that was the official name from the get go. so where did THAT name come from? Did someone make it up and everyone else just ran with it since the land was announced? or did Disney change the name of the ride?

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The code name was "Alcatraz" because of the movie "Escape From Alactraz" implying that the plot of the ride is to escape. Since we'll be escaping from a Starship Battle Cruiser, it get nicknamed "Battle Escape." But Battle Escape was never a Disney appellation, just the insider fans.
thank you for clearing it up. so somebody on line made up the name and everyone ran off with it is the answer. thank you.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
so again my question is then, where did the name BATTLE ESCAPE come from?? when the land was first announced we knew there would be a Falcon ride and everyone up until now has called It the Millenium Falcon Ride but every one was calling the other ride in the land BATTLE ESCAPE which is sooo specific a name it sounded like that was the official name from the get go. so where did THAT name come from? Did someone make it up and everyone else just ran for it since the land was announced? or did Disney change the name of the ride?

Our posts crossed in the night. :)

WRT Smuggler's Run, the code name was Big Bird, because the Falcon is a big bird. Insider fans started calling it the 'Falcon Ride,' and was never Disney's name for it.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Our posts crossed in the night. :)

WRT Smuggler's Run, the code name was Big Bird, because the Falcon is a big bird. Insider fans started calling it the 'Falcon Ride,' and was never Disney's name for it.
you misunderstood me, I got where everyone came up with the nickname for the Falcon Ride since we knew it would be a ride based on the Falcon. which is obvious. so that why it was just called the Millenium Falcon ride until we got the official name. I was just confused on why everyone was calling the other ride we knew hardly anything about by the name BATTLE ESCAPE which seemed like a very specific and possibly official name. that was until you cleared it up.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
you mis understood me, I got where everyone came up with the nickname for the Falcon Ride since we knew it would be ride based on the Falcon. which is obvious. so that why it was just called the Millenium Falcon ride until we got the official name. I was just confussed on why everyone was calling the other ride we knew hardly anything about by the name BATTLE ESCAPE which seemed like a very specific and possibly official name. that was until you cleared it up.

I can help clear it up more.

It was actually MiceAge (MiceChat) that coined the name. Presumably they were shown plans or had them heavily described to them and they were used as descriptors.

I think it dates back to this image

The code names did not leak until after that article... in fact insiders were still claiming it was bound for Echo lake in DHS at the time. I think the Miceage lingo stuck as that was largely the project we were looking at. I mean the image isn’t perfect... but it pretty much captures the gist of what they built accurately.

Attachments

• 1542688623281.jpeg
    1542688623281.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 149

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I can help clear it up more.

It was actually MiceAge (MiceChat) that coined the name. Presumably they were shown plans or had them heavily described to them and they were used as descriptors.

I think it dates back to this image

The code names did not leak until after that article... in fact insiders were still claiming it was bound for Echo lake in DHS at the time. I think the Miceage lingo stuck as that was largely the project we were looking at. I mean the image isn’t perfect... but it pretty much captures the gist of what they built accurately.
Thank you for adding more detail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom