News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

TP2000

Site prep is always fun to watch since there is such markedly clear progress from week to week.

3 Weeks ago
i-h6mCGc8-O.png

2 Weeks ago
i-kgRsrZn-O.png

Last Week
i-2C6VmXp-O.png

This Week
i-T4nPBVw-O.png

Big Thunder Ranch is really adios now!

(Courtesy Mint Crocodile)

Wow. From Week 1 to Week 4 is a huge difference. So many trees are gone now. Truly fascinating.

TP2000

Hopefully that means Bob will be out with a big shovel sweating under that hot California sun.

You're just upset because you are in Month #6 of a rainy Oregon winter. But the sun here in SoCal is not actually hot, it's just warm. The Rivieras told me so. :cool:

Since Disney has publicly admitted that official groundbreaking will happen in April, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of cheesy and overly scripted groundbreaking ceremony with Bob Iger and the corporate hive in Anaheim next month.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

So they aren't building this at typical modern Disney pace? I was expecting to be dead by the time they eventually open it. They've been constructing Avatarland for like 30 years now.

Curious Constance

You're just upset because you are in Month #6 of a rainy Oregon winter. But the sun here in SoCal is not actually hot, it's just warm. The Rivieras told me so. :cool:

Since Disney has publicly admitted that official groundbreaking will happen in April, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of cheesy and overly scripted groundbreaking ceremony with Bob Iger and the corporate hive in Anaheim next month.

It's actually pouring outside right now. ;)

TP2000

So they aren't building this at typical modern Disney pace? I was expecting to be dead by the time they eventually open it. They've been constructing Avatarland for like 30 years now.

Avatarland construction actually started a little over two years ago, and is scheduled to open early next year. This very unfortunately staged executive groundbreaking ceremony was held on January 14th, 2014 at WDW. Thank goodness there was not a breeze that day.

Miceage has said the Star Wars Land project at Disneyland will be shaving a few months off of the usual 36 month timetable for big projects like Cars Land, Avatarland, etc.

Ground was already broken on the Disneyland version two months ago, and they are well on their way as we can see from those awesome photos from the Mickey & Friends structure. From photos I've seen, they aren't nearly as far along on the WDW version.

But the Star Wars "Groundbreaking Ceremony" to be held in April will be some painfully cheesy event like the Avatar thing. Let's just hope they keep it Rated G for the kiddies at the April event.

George Lucas on a Bench

I think they announced Avatar a long time before construction began. It certainly feels like it's been forever. I'll say this for Star Wars: The Experience. It doesn't feel nearly as out of place in Disneyland as Avatar does in a park all about Mother Earth and her creatures.

D

Deleted member 107043

Ground was already broken on the Disneyland version two months ago

That isn't ground breaking you see in the photos TP. I believe what we're looking at is demolition. Ground breaking refers to the start of actual construction of buildings in SW Land.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Constance

Avatarland construction actually started a little over two years ago, and is scheduled to open early next year. This very unfortunately staged executive groundbreaking ceremony was held on January 14th, 2014 at WDW. Thank goodness there was not a breeze that day.

Miceage has said the Star Wars Land project at Disneyland will be shaving a few months off of the usual 36 month timetable for big projects like Cars Land, Avatarland, etc.

Ground was already broken on the Disneyland version two months ago, and they are well on their way as we can see from those awesome photos from the Mickey & Friends structure. From photos I've seen, they aren't nearly as far along on the WDW version.

But the Star Wars "Groundbreaking Ceremony" to be held in April will be some painfully cheesy event like the Avatar thing. Let's just hope they keep it Rated G for the kiddies at the April event.
God, I hate the way the Avatar creatures look.

GiveMeTheMusic

This has got to be one of the most ill-advised publicity photos of all time. A third of the people in the picture aren't even with the company anymore. The painfully staged mound of dirt, the bad photoshop of scary Pandoran, the pained expressions on some of the faces.

TP2000

This has got to be one of the most ill-advised publicity photos of all time. A third of the people in the picture aren't even with the company anymore. The painfully staged mound of dirt, the bad photoshop of scary Pandoran, the pained expressions on some of the faces.

I'm most concerned about that skimpy loincloth on the blue guy.

Seriously, who the heck thought this was okay?

Let's hope the Star Wars groundbreaking executive photo shoot next month is more tasteful. And that by the grand opening a couple years later that a majority of the execs in the picture are still employed by Disney. ;)

TP2000

That isn't ground breaking you see in the photos TP. I believe what we're looking at is demolition. Ground breaking refers to the start of actual construction of buildings in SW Land.

Ah, I believe you are right.

But are they even at this clearing and demolition point in WDW? I haven't seen anything about it lately, but I'd need to go scan that part of the forums again.

TP2000

God, I hate the way the Avatar creatures look.

You and the rest of America.

Ever since they announced Avatarland five years ago, I do this thing at Halloween where I count how many Avatar costumes I get at my door. I live in a very social neighborhood full of kids, and on Halloween I give out several boxes of full size Hershey bars and am known as the man who gives out hand-picked See's Candy bags for kids who really go all out. Every Halloween absolutely no one shows up at my door wearing anything Avatar. But Star Wars has been popular for years. This past Halloween it was about half Star Wars all night long, including entire families all dressed as Star Wars characters. Not a single Avatar anything, every Halloween for the last five years.

That's my un-scientific poll that tells me WDW management made a mistake by agreeing to Avatarland instead of Cars Land East, or any number of any fabulous WDI concepts.

Star Wars Land, on the other hand, is brilliant.

Last edited:

Curious Constance

I'm most concerned about that skimpy loincloth on the blue guy.

Seriously, who the heck thought this was okay?

Let's hope the Star Wars groundbreaking executive photo shoot next month is more tasteful. And that by the grand opening a couple years later that a majority of the execs in the picture are still employed by Disney. ;)
I'd be okay with Bob wearing the loin cloth.

Curious Constance

Ever since they announced Avatarland five years ago, I do this thing at Halloween where I count how many Avatar costumes I get at my door. I live in a very social neighborhood full of kids, and on Halloween I give out several boxes of full size Hershey bars and am known as the man who gives out hand-picked See's Candy bags for kids who really go all out. Every Halloween absolutely no one shows up at my door wearing anything Avatar. But Star Wars has been popular for years. This past Halloween it was about half Star Wars all night long, including entire families all dressed as Star Wars characters. Not a single Avatar anything, every Halloween for the last five years.

That's my un-scientific poll that tells me WDW management made a mistake by agreeing to Avatarland instead of Cars Land East, or any number of any fabulous WDI concepts.

I agree, even when the movie was at it's most popular, it didn't seem to be that popular among kids, did it? I can't tell if it's just my personal dislike for the movie or if most people feel as uninterested in Avatar land.

By the way, which costumes won the See's bags last year???

TP2000

I'd be okay with Bob wearing the loin cloth.

I forgot that about you.

By the way, which costumes won the See's bags last year???

One was about a seven year old girl dressed in a spot-on Inspector Sherlock Holmes tweed getup; I answer the door and instead of saying "trick or treat!" she thrusts an ID card in my face and says "Sir, I'm the candy inspector and I need to inspect what kind of candy you are giving out tonight." She won instantly.

Another was a fun family where dad was Han Solo, mom was an over-it Princess Leia who kept giving Han the hand, with son as growling Chewbacca and daughter as Yoda. Totally hilarious.

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

The attractions and atmosphere of Avatarland are going to have to drive the land because the ip itself isn't going to do it.

On a side note, I think I know where I need to be next halloween.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom