News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

skimbob

I wish I could tell a little better on the berm where things from the ranch sat. It helps to have Toontown there and the theater but I would love to see the demolished area of the ranch. I am assuming the view there is limited for the most part. I am just trying to figure out where the berm will actually be or if there will not be one blocking the entrance to SWL.
I think there is less to demolish at HS than DL. Yes the backlot could have been demolished long ago but once the car show closes they will be able to make quick work of demolishing the rest of the area in preparation for TSL and SWL That is just my guess. There could have also been a delay while they tried to decide if they might shoe horn CL in the Backlot Tour area using part of that canyon structure. That is just a guess.

MoonRakerSCM

On MC they're stating that that little dirt roadway that goes over the berm is a new cut I'm fairly certain it was there beforehand? The other week and in some images, you could see older stumps along the sides of the dirt road slopes (they appear to be gone now as they're smoothing out the berm to begin bulldozing it). I assume the path was to get animals to and from the pens to Big Thunder ranch/ the horse hangout in the Indian Village?

yookeroo

I know. I just feel like the first movie, everyone wanted to see it less for the actual movie content and more for the visual uniqueness. Didn't that movie pretty much introduce 3D in theaters? It seems like it was more novel at the time, than a good movie.

There were plenty of 3D movies before Avatar. Several that same year. Avatar's big selling point was that it was designed to make great use of 3D.

Look at the #2 all time movie, the equally "bad" Titanic. (I don't think either movie is bad, they both have a lot to offer. Their plots are pretty hackneyed though.) It wasn't just 3D that sold that movie. Cameron knows how to make movies with wide appeal.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I feel like they'll flatten the berm and build a rockwork berm instead? Or maybe they'll build Rock Work into the berm... I don't know.

It's my understanding the berm will be flattened out, but the back section we see now will still all be at a lower level than the entryway from the park. The show buildings will be partially sunk. The Battle attraction queue in particular and ground level village will all be in the bottom floor so to speak. A lot of guest walkways through the land will be on the second level that is approximately on the same level as the rest of Disneyland.

In terms of berm, the new berm will be mostly rock work with foliage to supplement and will be moved much closer to Big Thunder Mountain than previously. Rock work will extend the entire back half of ROA starting basically from the back of the Winnie the Pooh show building and continue through to the edge of Fantasyland sweeping up over Big Thunder trail at the end. The big trick with that arch is to obscure Fantasyland from Big Thunder from Star Wars from the Wonder Bra.

The one section you see in the very right of the concept image with what looks like a break in rock work and train trellis on top will be one of the entrances.

1_16_WDI_9001.jpg

TL;DR expect the berm from slightly behind Pooh all the way to Toontown to be flattened and replaced with Rock Work a few hundred meters further South. Sightlines will not be a concern.

Last edited:

mickEblu

It's my understanding the berm will be flattened out, but the back section we see now will still all be at a lower level than the entryway from the park. The show buildings will be partially sunk. The Battle attraction queue in particular and ground level village will all be in the bottom floor so to speak. A lot of guest walkways through the land will be on the second level that is approximately on the same level as the rest of Disneyland.

In terms of berm, the new berm will be mostly rock work with foliage to supplement and will be moved much closer to Big Thunder Mountain than previously. Rock work will extend the entire back half of ROA starting basically from the back of the Winnie the Pooh show building and continue through to the edge of Fantasyland sweeping up over Big Thunder trail at the end. The big trick with that arch is to obscure Fantasyland from Big Thunder from Star Wars from the Wonder Bra.

The one section you see in the very right of the concept image with what looks like a break in rock work and train trellis on top will be one of the entrances.

1_16_WDI_9001.jpg

TL;DR expect the berm from slightly behind Pooh all the way to Toontown to be flattened and replaced with Rock Work a few hundred meters

I'm having a hard time imagining this new berm. How visible will this new berm be from the Hungry Bear looking north up the river ? I was hoping that the S curve would put the new berm out of view from NOS and Critter Country and that the reveal can only be seen by train or boat.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I'm having a hard time imagining this new berm. How visible will this new berm be from the Hungry Bear looking north up the river ? I was hoping that the S curve would put the new berm out of view from NOS and Critter Country and that the reveal can only be seen by train or boat.

The waterfalls/train trestle over water won't really be visible from NOS, Big Thunder or Critter Country.

However you'll definitely see a section of it from Hungry Bear. The only way to really see the full stretch will be from the River or from the Train.

Phroobar

I hope the Indians are upgraded too. Maybe they could do some kind of outdoor pepper's ghost spirit animals near the storyteller? Hopefully the animals will move. Maybe some of the new animals will make their way to Grizzy River Rapids?

skimbob

This all helps a little more in understanding how things will be built with regards to the berm. It is a little sad because it is changing something we know and love but at the same time it is opening doors to new adventures. Better to lose the area they are working on instead of losing NOS , FL or Frontierland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom