News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

drod1985

What is the average review? Absolutely amazing and the greatest thing Disney's ever built? Or "it's ok"? Because it's certainly not the former.

I'll quote myself in a reply to you just days ago.

The only place I've seen a "consensus" of lackluster reviews for the land has been this forum - and that "consensus" is really just a group of vocal posters. And I think a few weeks ago you admitted this forum was your main source of reviews as well.

I've been following the discussion and reviews across this forum, reddit, twitter, instagram, discord, and YouTube. The one thing I've seen consistently middling-to-lackluster reviews for has been the blue and green milk. Smuggler's Run reviews aren't breathtaking, but they're not lackluster either. Across my anecdotal observations from the aforementioned platforms I'd estimate the Falcon is probably averaging a 7.5/10.

Snow Queen

He has more than one costume (outside of when he goes shirtless)?
Yeah, as this takes place after Last Jedi where he smashed his mask, he should be helmetless or have the repaired version from Rise of Skywalker. However, we saw it being repaired in the trailer, so judging by the time frame... probably just shouldn't have one, canonically speaking. I don't mind him having one, I prefer it actually since it's a great helmet and he looks much better that way, but if they wanna do the whole 'in continuity' thing.

TP2000

Star Wars Land at DHS is basically finished now. They are just putting finishing touches on it, which is easy because Mr. Chapek already cut out most of the extra entertainment and finishing touches anyway.

Can we take a moment to notice the physical differences in layout, entry points, etc.?

I was a very naughty boy a couple years ago by starting the discussion that Disneyland's was bigger. It certainly still looks that way to me!

Here's the DHS land entry by the Resistance ride that doesn't work.

Star Wars Resistance: The Ride! - Presented by Carrier Air Conditioning.
Star-Wars-Land_Full_35723.jpg

Star-Wars-Land_Full_35724.jpg

Which compares to the Disneyland version and it's Critter Country entrance area. The actual entry portal is cut off here, still a bit further south down the winding pathway under the railroad trestle. But you can see some marked differences in placement and size here.

swge-nearmap-1-jpg.390772

Also of note is the alternate entrance at DHS from Toy Story Land. There's only one entrance, roughly what is the "middle entrance" at Disneyland off the Big Thunder walkway.

Star-Wars-Land_Full_35715.jpg

Versus Disneyland.

swge-nearmap-4-jpg.390770

But the third and most eastern entrance tunnel at Disneyland that leads to a domed structure is blocked off at DHS and filled in with landscaping instead of an entry portal.

Star-Wars-Land_Full_35734.jpg

I can't wait for identically accurate Google Earth type satellite images of both lands. It's apparent there are some major differences in land use and layout between the coasts. Especially around the Resistance ride, which will need all the extra room it can get once it opens sometime next decade.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Star Wars Land at DHS is basically finished now. They are just putting finishing touches on it, which is easy because Mr. Chapek already cut out most of the extra entertainment and finishing touches anyway.

Can we take a moment to notice the physical differences in layout, entry points, etc.?

I was a very naughty boy a couple years ago by starting the discussion that Disneyland's was bigger. It certainly still looks that way to me!

Here's the DHS land entry by the Resistance ride that doesn't work.

Star-Wars-Land_Full_35723.jpg

Star-Wars-Land_Full_35724.jpg

Which compares to the Disneyland version and it's Critter Country entrance area. The actual entry portal is cut off here, still a bit further south down the winding pathway under the railroad trestle. But you can see some marked differences in placement and size here.

swge-nearmap-1-jpg.390772

Also of note is the alternate entrance at DHS from Toy Story Land. There's only one entrance, roughly what is the "middle entrance" at Disneyland off the Big Thunder walkway.

Star-Wars-Land_Full_35715.jpg

Versus Disneyland.

swge-nearmap-4-jpg.390770

But the third and most eastern entrance tunnel at Disneyland that leads to a domed structure is blocked off at DHS and filled in with landscaping instead of an entry portal.

Star-Wars-Land_Full_35734.jpg

I can't wait for identically accurate Google Earth type satellite images of both lands. It's apparent there are some major differences in land use and layout between the coasts. Especially around the Resistance ride, which will need all the extra room it can get once it opens sometime next decade.

Also if you look very closely you’ ll note that they’re both not any fun.

mickEblu

WDW has blues, greens, and teals in their rocks. Disneyland has just gray.

They do? I’m guessing they didn’t do the same at DL to blend better with the ROA/ rocks. They could have have a splash of color to the areas that are only seen at Galaxies Edge though

TROR

They do? I’m guessing they didn’t do the same at DL to blend better with the ROA/ rocks. They could have have a splash of color to the areas that are only seen at Galaxies Edge though
They should’ve painted Disneyland’s to match Big Thunder’s colors.

RobWDW1971

And honestly, do any of those tall rocks add any value/impact on your experience when you're inside the land? IMO they managed to simultaneously waste the money on all of that high rockwork, caused themselves to be boxed into a color/style to tie to ROA that made the land further bland/depressing, and made ugly visual intrusions throughout the park. WDI at its navel-gazing finest.

Last edited:

TROR

I’d prefer Big Thunder to remain unique.
Perhaps a bit darker and a bit more red, like Paris'.

And honestly, do any of those tall rocks add any value/impact on your experience when you're inside the land? IMO they managed to simultaneously waste the money on all of that high rockwork, caused themselves to be boxed into a color/style to tie to ROA that made the land further bland/depressing, and made ugly visual intrusions throughout the park. WDI at its navel-gazing finest.
This is a good point. Other than the Falcon's exterior, almost none of the rocks can even be seen in the land and seem like a complete waste. I imagine they must be viewable from ROTR's queue, but I'm not sure that's enough to justify their existence.

mickEblu

I think they have more of an impact outside of the land than inside with the exception of the Falcon area. (See the pic I took below) That’s the only place it has any real impact. The rocks might do more for me if they had some moss and more green mixed in- like the concept art. I will say they do a good job at being a berm - not that it’s the only way to do it.

312BC753-D33E-4013-8814-678FE0D2F98B.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom