News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

PB Watermelon

No that is just your opinion

Speaking of "breaking the illusion", brother, I can tell you such stories.

Like when Walt Disney announced Disneyland and he said we would fly with Peter Pan. Well, fella, let me tell you -- I didn't fly anywhere, I was suspended from the ceiling in a fiberglass frigate (completely out of scale, I might add) while moving on a factory conveyor belt over some robot puppets. RIP-OFF!!! It was fake! All Fake! I was supposed to "use my imagination" or "put things in context"? Buddy, I didn't pay to go there and work, they're supposed to do all that for me.

And don't get me started on that whole "Rocket to the Moon" crap! When we "left Earth", to experience zero gravity, I tossed a quarter in the air and it fell and hit a baby in the eye. Baby starts bawlin', everyone's looking at me like I'm the bad guy. I start shouting, tell everyone the trip is fake, and they start yelling at me, and get this -- I didn't get my quarter back.

I think the only real thing in the park is the actor playing Lincoln. He's amazing. I've seen him a few times over the years and he's able to give the exact same performance each time I go. Pal, that's some dedication right there, amigo.

Anyway...

Point is, Disney may have stated that Galaxy's Edge is the most immersive and detailed display of theming they've ever done, and that may very well be true -- for them. But it's still a Disney theme park, you're not going to be transported like Schwarzenegger in Total Recall to a place where you can't distinguish reality from the outside world. You'll see price tags on merch, someone is going to ask you for a credit card to pay for your "Ronto Burger" or "Mynock Buffalo Wings" or "Roasted Rancor Meatloaf", you'll find T-Shirts, plush toys...you might even be able to buy a Coke somewhere (maybe not, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did offer soft drinks at some nook). Just like the rest of the Park, only in next-level highly-themed restaurants and shops. Did you really think otherwise? If so, I don't know what to tell you.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Original Poster
I’m on vacation and too many pages to catch up... so apologies that I am responding to the conversations on Thursday.

Many people are looking about this completely the wrong way. This month early is Disney providing a public preview for something that long has been earmarked for late June. RoTR staggered opening is nothing other than them not being able to open the ride early. Not a case of it running late or a canary in a coal mine.

This is opening far earlier than the late June date we expected, for capacity limited reservation based public previews. This is what I’ve been saying for the last year at least. It’s a good move.

This is NOT a grand opening, it’s a public preview!

britain

I’m on vacation and too many pages to catch up... so apologies that I am responding to the conversations on Thursday.

Many people are looking about this completely the wrong way. This month early is Disney providing a public preview for something that long has been earmarked for late June. RoTR staggered opening is nothing other than them not being able to open the ride early. Not a case of it running late or a canary in a coal mine.

This is opening far earlier than the late June date we expected, for capacity limited reservation based public previews. This is what I’ve been saying for the last year at least. It’s a good move.

This is NOT a grand opening, it’s a public preview!

I hear you, but will there be ribbon cutting and a little fanfare on for the media on May 30th or the morning of the 31st? I'd call that a grand opening then.

BrianLo

Original Poster
I hear you, but will there be ribbon cutting and a little fanfare on for the media on May 30th or the morning of the 31st? I'd call that a grand opening then.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a second ribbon cutting after previews.

Grand openings are odd in that they functionally occur a while after most things are pseudo-opened.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Ok I caught up... kind of glad I wasn’t part of the discussion.

I again don’t think RoTR has ‘serious issues’, I’m glad Martin supports this. I just straight up don’t think they could reliably say it would be ready for the start of the preview.

I’ve lived through enough Iger legacy projects to know come hell or high water he’ll want it all ready for the actual Public opening end of June. Even for things Martin actually thought were screwed, when Iger’s legacy is on the line money will be siphoned to get it ready. No... DL has not had an Iger legacy project since 2012.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see RoTR make some soft openings during the preview period, but they’ve at least set expectations accordingly that it won’t be there. So when it sort of is then breaks down they can just shrug their shoulders and be like ‘we said it wasn’t going to be in the previews’.

mickEblu

I posted this in the “who is Hondo” thread but thought I’d post this here as this thread has more traction. Curious to hear some thoughts of real Star Wars fans...

I feel that Disney using Hondo in the Falcon ride is a nod to a cross section of Millennials and diehard Star Wars fans. Basically the only people who appreciate his existence/ know who he is. It’s a move saying “yes we re Disney, but our portrayal of the Star Wars universe won’t only be ultra commercial and here is an example of us highlighting an obscure character.”

Or I could be totally wrong as I’m a casual Star Wars fan at best. I had no idea who Hondo was before he was announced as being part of the attraction.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I posted this in the “who is Hondo” thread but thought I’d post this here as this thread has more traction. Curious to hear some thoughts of real Star Wars fans...

I feel that Disney using Hondo in the Falcon ride is a nod to a cross section of Millennials and diehard Star Wars fans. Basically the only people who appreciate his existence/ know who he is. It’s a move saying “yes we re Disney, but our portrayal of the Star Wars universe won’t only be ultra commercial and here is an example of us highlighting an obscure character.”

Or I could be totally wrong as I’m a casual Star Wars fan at best. I had no idea who Hondo was before he was announced as being part of the attraction.

In my opinion, is it a nod, yes. Although I'm not sure if I agree on your assessment of why they did it. Remember that LucasFilms was directly involved in the project. So it wasn't Disney who chose to have Hondo in the attraction, it was LucasFilms. Disney gave the parameters of the timeline they wanted to build the world in and LucasFilms came up with the stories and characters to fit in those timelines.

But really is it all that critical to know who Hondo is prior to experiencing the attraction, no not at all. Does it make the immersion a little deeper if you do know who Hondo is, yes. The same can be said about PotterLand, the more you know about the stories the deeper the immersion, but doesn't make it any less fun if you don't know a thing.

SuddenStorm

But really is it all that critical to know who Hondo is prior to experiencing the attraction, no not at all. Does it make the immersion a little deeper if you do know who Hondo is, yes. The same can be said about PotterLand, the more you know about the stories the deeper the immersion, but doesn't make it any less fun if you don't know a thing.

I'd say in the case of Potter and Star Wars... if someone doesn't know a thing about the characters, worlds, and stories- then it definitely would be less fun. That's an inherent issue with IP driven lands.

mickEblu

In my opinion, is it a nod, yes. Although I'm not sure if I agree on your assessment of why they did it. Remember that LucasFilms was directly involved in the project. So it wasn't Disney who chose to have Hondo in the attraction, it was LucasFilms. Disney gave the parameters of the timeline they wanted to build the world in and LucasFilms came up with the stories and characters to fit in those timelines.

Well I think we can kind of use Disney/ Lucasfilm interchangeably no? My point was what they re trying to achieve, not who is calling the shots.

Personally I don’t mind. I mean, I would have rather seen a Chewie AA but I’m ok with it. To me he’s an original character like Rex.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'd say in the case of Potter and Star Wars... if someone doesn't know a thing about the characters, worlds, and stories- then it definitely would be less fun. That's an inherent issue with IP driven lands.

Hmm, if you don't know the stories, characters, or worlds, how is that any different than a non-IP story where you know nothing? I would think it would be exactly the same. You know nothing so you enjoy it for the experience and maybe even make up your own story.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well I think we can kind of use Disney/ Lucasfilm interchangeably no? My point was what they re trying to achieve, not who is calling the shots.

Personally I don’t mind. I mean, I would have rather seen a Chewie AA but I’m ok with it. To me he’s an original character like Rex.

In this case no. Because WDI isn't creating the whole thing on their own. They are working directly with the content creators who are actually in charge of the story within the land.

mickEblu

Hmm, if you don't know the stories, characters, or worlds, how is that any different than a non-IP story where you know nothing? I would think it would be exactly the same. You know nothing so you enjoy it for the experience and maybe even make up your own story.

Except the stories are told differently when they are not based on IP. Think POTC, HM being non linear with the cocktail party dialogue. The “story” (if you can even say POTC has a story) is delivered using devices that appeal to most human beings on a basic level.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Except the stories are told differently when they are not based on IP. Think POTC, HM being non linear with the cocktail party dialogue.

But you're making the assumption that not knowing the IP would make the experience not fun. And that just isn't the case.

PotterLand, its a world of wizards that is all you need to know to enjoy it. You don't need to know who Harry, Ron, Hermione, Snape, or any other character is to enjoy the world.

It'll be the same for SW:GE. You can go in and experience the whole thing without knowing anything about SW and still have a great time. And again I expect that those that don't know the IP will make up their own stories for things in the land they don't understand, just like a non-IP attraction.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No

I would consider that Hondo was also chosen because they can make him an animatronic and because he was a CGI cartoon character it isn't too difficult to make him look like the original character. Using a human would have been more difficult, even though they have had some pretty great advances with the technology. Since they are trying to keep things in the post-Solo timeline, and keeping the thrill of getting to be a smuggler, Hondo fits the role.

I get that not everyone is as deeply involved in the fandom to watch the periphery shows like Clone Wars (which is an awesome series), but I also think Disney is trying to use this as a means to get people to become curious about the character and to check out the show, especially since new seasons of it will be released when the new streaming service is up and running.

I think having Chewie explain things in Wookie and having a protocol droid interpret would have been funny, but it also would drag out the pre-show too much.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Except the stories are told differently when they are not based on IP. Think POTC, HM being non linear with the cocktail party dialogue. The “story” (if you can even say POTC has a story) is delivered using devices that appeal to most human beings on a basic level.

I think as long as you can enjoy the experience without knowing the full backstory of the characters it's fine. If Hondo started spewing out things that only make sense to those who watched Clone Wars and it had an impact on the experience, then maybe that would be a problem, but I doubt that's going to happen.

mickEblu

I would consider that Hondo was also chosen because they can make him an animatronic and because he was a CGI cartoon character it isn't too difficult to make him look like the original character. Using a human would have been more difficult, even though they have had some pretty great advances with the technology. Since they are trying to keep things in the post-Solo timeline, and keeping the thrill of getting to be a smuggler, Hondo fits the role.

I get that not everyone is as deeply involved in the fandom to watch the periphery shows like Clone Wars (which is an awesome series), but I also think Disney is trying to use this as a means to get people to become curious about the character and to check out the show, especially since new seasons of it will be released when the new streaming service is up and running.

I think having Chewie explain things in Wookie and having a protocol droid interpret would have been funny, but it also would drag out the pre-show too much.

Both good points. I specifically said Chewie because he’s not a human and easy to make a great AA. In addition of course to him making sense and being one of the most lovable characters in the Star Wars universe.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Both good points. I specifically said Chewie because he’s not a human and easy to make a great AA. In addition of course to him making sense and being one of the most lovable characters in the Star Wars universe.

From the EW article (talking about the Falcon):

It’s pocked with blaster burns and its thrusters are gasping to activate. “It’s a little worse for wear,” says Asa Kalama, the Imagineering creative director who is guiding this tour. “You’re going to hear the engines trying to turn over as they try to reactivate some of the systems.”

Occasionally, visitors will see a familiar “walking carpet” on a rooftop or crouching beneath the undercarriage to supervise the restoration. “That battle damage, it buffs right out,” says Scott Trowbridge, the Imagineering creative executive in charge of the whole land.

I wonder if they are referring to a partial animatronic that pokes around, or if they are referring to a character actor occasionally walking around in costume.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom